Monday, August 06, 2012

Citrus Hairspray

When life gives you lemons. . .make hairspray!


For this recipe you will need an orange too.
I am not a big fan of store-bought hairspray
since it has all kinds of nasty chemicals in it plus the alcohol in hairspray dries your hair out.
This hairspray recipe is a great alternative if you want to use something more natural.
Plus it has a nice citrus scent.

Items Needed:
1/2 lemon
1/2 orange
2 cups water
spray bottle
Peel and chop fruit into small pieces.
You don't have to peel the fruit, but I did when I made this batch of hairspray.


Place fruit in sauce pan with 2 cups water and let boil
until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10-15 minutes.


Cool, strain and place in spray bottle.
Store in the refrigerator.


TA DA! 
Fresh smelling and usable hairspray.


Helpful Tip:
When you spray the hairspry on it will feel like you're spraying just water, 
but you need to give it 3-5 minutes to dry and once it dries it will hold like hairspray. 
So spray a little at a time, let it dry and then see if you need more.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Brilliant! I never use products in my hair, mainly because of the horrible fumes and the way it made my hair feel. Ugh! But this ... this is a fantastic idea, I will have to give it a try!

The Shepherd's daughter said...

Stephanie,

Do you peel the orange and lemon?
I love your website!!!

God Bless,
Mrs. Debbie Bonnell

Stephanie said...

Hi Debbie :) Thanks for visiting. I peeled the orange and lemon when I made this batch, but you actually don't have to - just cut them up and then boil the fruit. So easy!
I hope you are doing well!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Anne Payne said...

I have been looking for a natural hair spray recipe. I am so glad I decided to peruse your posts from the beginning. This is a true treasure find. Do you mind if I pin the recipe to my DIY Household & Beauty Products Pinterest board? Wasn't sure since your photos aren't watermarked. If not, no worries. I will just write it down. :)

M. E. Stephens said...

Yay! I've thought of giving up my store bought hairspray, but I didn't know what to use instead. I think I will try this and see if I like it. I've been slowly switching over to more natural personal care products and I'm starting to see some good effects. :-)
BTW, I use aloe vera gel for hair gel, and that's all I use some days. It still has some questionable ingredients, but not like the manufactured hair gels. I haven't tried homegrown aloe vera gel yet, but it would take quite a bit to keep up with the demand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...