Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Old Shirt, New Dress

I'm sure all of you have an old shirt lying around.
It might be stretched or torn at the bottom or have a stain on it (like mine).
These shirts can be used for something good so don't toss them out!
You can make a shirt dress out of them.



I've made a few of these dresses in the past because they're so easy and very cute. 
I made the blue dress last winter with some jersey knit flannel-like fabric 
and made it ankle length since there was still snow on the ground. 
I love it because it's so warm! 

You Will Need:

used, but nice shirt (or you can just go buy one)
1 yard (or however much you need) of fabric - 
you will need fabric that stretches since you won't be putting in a zipper. 
I used some jersey knit fabric that I found at the thrift store for $1.00
sewing machine
thread
scissors
measuring tape
chalk or pencil
iron and ironing board

* I cut all my fabric to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance. *

Measure where you want your shirt to fit.
I wanted an empire waist so I cut my shirt up higher
and added 1/2" seam allowance.




Measure the bottom of your shirt (mine was 13 inches across)
and cut your 2 waistbands from this measurement
AND
 add an extra 1/2 inch on each side for the seam allowance.
For example:
I wanted my waistband 2 inches wide so I cut it at 3 x 14 - inches
allowing for the 1/2 inch seam allowance on both sides.
Make sense?


Now for the skirt...
The top part should be the same measurement as the bottom of the shirt (mine was 13"across),
but I cut the top at 14 inches wide because of the half inch seam allowance on the sides.
So once I sew the sides together, it will measure at 13 inches.
Decide on how long you want you dress to be. I like mine knee length.
I also cut my skirt to flare at the bottom so my end result was 14 inches at the top
and it flared to 28 inches at the bottom. It has a nice, gradual flare.
Fold your fabric in half so that you cut out 2 skirt pieces.


With right sides together, pin waistband to skirt.
Sew with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.


After you're done sewing the waistbands, open seam and iron.

With right sides together, pin the 2 skirt pieces together
and sew with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.


After sewing, open seam and iron.

Are you still following me?!

Now....
Slip shirt inside skirt and pin - be very careful doing this!
I accidentally sewed the shirt on backwards when I made my first dress. OOPS!
Sew around the edges.
I think you would have a little more stretch if you used a zigzag stitch,
but I used a regular straight stitch and it's fine.


Now just hem your dress and you're done.
YAY!!
I did not hem the green dress because the jersey fabric rolled up nicely :)

3 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

too cute. great idea.

blessings
barb

PS I will be reading your blog, but probably not leaving as many comments as I would like.
I find the letters/numbers you have to type to be published are very hard to read. (I usually get frustrated by the time I get one right) =)

Hope said...

Stephanie, you did a wonderful job on this dress, and you look so lovely in it!

:) Hope

Tulip TrueAim said...

That is amazing! I love it. I have such a hard time finding inexpensive, modern looking, and modest dresses. Thanks for the tutorial!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...