- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (add more cheese if you like things cheesy)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups marinara sauce
- desired filings - pepperoni, sausage, pineapple, bell peppers, jalapenos, etc
- melted butter for top of calzone
- Place dough ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle. *If you don't have a bread machine then you can mix it by hand and let the dough rise.
- After cycle ends, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface; shape into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle. Transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet. In a bowl mix your cheese and desired fillings. Spoon marinara sauce in a stripe down the center of dough lengthwise; add cheese and fillings. Make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart down each side, cutting within 1/2 inch of the filling. Criss cross strips over filling, if needed, seal with water. Brush top with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 - 45 minutes.
This recipe is great for using leftovers.
For this calzone, I used chopped up green chile peppers, leftover spaghetti sauce,
some cheddar cheese that I had shredded and it needed used up,
and meatballs that I crumbled and sprinkled on top.
The flavor was amazing!
So be creative with your fillings.