Friday, September 28, 2012

Tasty Beef Pot Pie

I raided my refrigerator for last night's supper and came up with quite a few leftovers
so I used what I had and made a pot pie.
It was the perfect dish for the cool and cloudy Fall evening.


Ingredients:
{ this is what I had for leftovers, but you can use any kind of vegetable }

1 cup corn
1 1/2 cups green beans
3/4 cups cooked rice
3 cups brown gravy
2 cups cooked roast beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except the butter.
Easy Peasy!
Now for the dough....
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
8 - 10 tablespoons cold water

In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt.
Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of flour mixture;
gently toss with a fork.
Repeat until all the flour mixture is moistened.
On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball.
Roll dough from center to edges into a circle.

Transfer dough to a deep dish pie plate.
Place pot pie filling into the pie plate and dot the mixture with 2 tablespoons of butter.
Roll out the second dough ball and place on top of filling.
Trim and crimp the edges of the dough.

Using a fork, make a few pricks in the crust for ventilation
Cover crust edges with tin foil and cook at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Remove tin foil and cook for 25 - 35 minutes longer.

Enjoy your pot pie :)


Linking up with:
 Tutorial Tuesday
Tasty Thursdays


13 comments:

Delvalina said...

It sounds yummy and easy! thank you for sharing, I want to try...I thanks to the Lord for this beautiful blog keep me encouraged to be God's beautiful home queen :)

I just got back from grocery shopping with my mom, just bought ingredients for Brownies...so yes! tomorrow, kitchen will be my throne...

Thank you Stephanie, I love you my beautiful sister inside-out in Christ.

Sherri B. said...

This looks really familiar...hmm...where have I seen that before? hahaha!

Thanks for your entry my dear and congratulations again! xo

Sylvia said...

It looks so good Stephanie, I'll sure have to try this. I love how you put the leaf on the top.
Have a great weekend.
Sylvia

Nurdan Kanber said...

Hello Stephanie,

Pie looks so delicious!I'll definitely try!

I know it's a bit late but I'd like to congratulate for your giveaway as well!

Wishing you a great weekend!

All my very best!

Hope said...

Hello Stephanie,

Thank you for following my blog.

I Love, LOVE beef pot pie!!! This looks so delicious!

I sometimes use cream cheese under the crust in place of butter. In my opinion, it is scrumptious.

I want to try your pie crust recipe. I don't always do so well making pie crust, even after over 25 years of marriage! But I keep trying, and I refuse to use store bought pie crusts. Actually, I think mine at least that good, just not terrific.

I look forward to seeing you, and I am also following your blog.

:) Hope

P.S. Thanks for the word of encouragement about my diet goals :)

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Stephanie, thanks for visiting and commenting (no, didn't make that sweet little table runner quilt but love the lace applied to the centre). Your pot pie looks so very delicious. Have a great weekend.
Joy

Mrs. Smith said...

Thank you for following my blog and for your comment! I am delighted to meet you and see right away that we have a great deal in common - our love for the Lord, roses, lace, vintage, and thrift...I look forward to visiting your wonderful blog again and can't wait to try this yummy looking recipe!

Hope said...

Oh, Stephanie, one more thing I just remembered that I wanted to say (I was looking at my blog list and again saw you lovely pot pie)...your pie looks not only delicious, but also perfectly, and lovingly made; I love the leaf detail.

:)Hope

Hope said...

Stephanie,

Your husband sounds sweet. I love the crust, myself, so I understand what you are talking about. When I was a child, I would eat the crust first because I did not like it - funny how we grow into tastes.

:)Hope

Hope said...

Hi again Stephanie,

I was just reading your sidebar note about your wonderful grandmother. What a great lady. (I only got to see one of my grandmothers a handful of times, and the other died the day I was born. I always missed having a grandmother around.)

What I am curious about is your statement that she taught you the importance of dessert after lunch and supper. That sounds like a good life. I never know anyone to have dessert after lunch. I have never made it a practice to have a daily dessert after even dinner, although I love dessert. I am wondering if you have a special secret.

:) Hope

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like a great dinner! Love that you added the rice to it! Happy Sunday:@)

Lauren Davenport said...

Yummy. My husband would love this! Thanks for the recipe :)

Hope said...

Popping in to borrow your pie crust recipe.

Thank you, Stephanie, for your encouraging visits today. I so love them!

:) Hope

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...