Monday, October 22, 2012

Decorative Pillows

I have been making quite a few t-shirt flowers lately
and since I've been having so much fun making them
I thought I would do a tutorial.

And all this week I am going to give you tutorials on how I used my t-shirt flowers.


For today's project, we're going to make some Fall hanging pillows
Easy to make and they add a nice touch to your home.


Lets get started :)

Items Needed:
fabric - 6 inches X 6 inches
ribbon - 13 inches long
old t-shirt or some other fabric to make the flowers
fiberfill
sewing machine
thread
scissors
hot glue
embellishments

You will need 2 pieces of fabric that are 6 inches X 6 inches.


Put right sides together and slide the ribbon in between the fabric.
I measured my ribbon 1 inch in from the sides so that it would come out evenly,
then pin the ribbon in place.


With right sides together, pin the fabric.


Sew around the edges with a 1/4 inch seam allowance
and leave an opening 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide.
It should look like this. . .


Turn your pillow right side out
and use something pointy to push the corners out.
I used a pen with a lid on it!


Iron and set aside.

Now lets make some cute flowers :)
Cut a 2 inch wide strip out of your t-shirt.
You can decide on how long you want your strips.
I used 10 inch strips for smaller sized flowers
and the big flower was probably about 20 inches long.


 There are several ways that you can make the flowers.
One way is to cut a circle out of some felt.
The size of circle will depend on the size of flower you want.
Fold your strip in half then fold at one side of the corner
and then fold over the other side of the corner.
It should like this. . .


Flip your strip over and
apply a dot of hot glue onto the felt
and then press the middle of the strip onto the felt.
Twist your fabric and hot glue as you go so the flower will hold.
You can twist tightly or loosely,
it just depends on how you want your flower to look.
When you're done twisting you will have some fabric left over,
just tuck it behind the flower and glue in place.


And you should have a flower that looks like this.


Another way is to do all the same steps that I told you about
but don't use the felt.
Instead I hold the flower together with my hand as I twist
and when I'm done twisting I pin it together.


Then I hot glue the back so it holds.
I find the flower is more pliable this way.
When you use felt, the flower tends to be stiff.
And you can see I tucked the extra fabric behind the flower.


Flip it over and you have a beautiful t-shirt flower
and you can't even tell there is hot glue on the backside.




If using embellishments, apply to your flower.
Now we need to apply the flowers to our pillows.
All you have to do is hot glue them onto the fabric :)
Put the glue in the middle of the flower
so that when you press it onto the pillow the glue won't ooze out of the sides.


All that's left is stuffing your pillow with fiberfill.


Then, sew the opening closed.








All done! :)

And if you don't want to make a hanging pillow,
you can make a throw pillow using these steps
just omit the ribbon.
This throw pillow is about 10-inches x 10-inches.


Have fun!

Linking up with:

38 comments:

Audrey said...

Oh my, you are so creative. Love the pillows and the Tutorial is so beautifully done.
Thanks for visiting Timeless Treasures and leaving a nice comment.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/

Sherri B. said...

These pillows are so sweet. Thanks for taking the time to give this tutorial, the way you show it makes it seem very doable.

Have a lovely week! xo

Debbie said...

So beautiful Stephanie! You have such a great way of explaining how to do things that even I should be able to do it! :)
I look forward to each day to see what you have to share with us.
Love & Blessings!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I love the smaller, hanging pillows! So sweet and so pretty with the flowers :-)

Nurdan Kanber said...

Well done Stephanie,
I am speechless in front of your creativity!

Pillows, all are so lovely and inspirational! Loved your simple but marvelous explanation how to make as well!

All my very best!

Sylvia said...

You're so talented,Stephanie, your pillows are so pretty!

Crystelle Boutique said...

These pillows are so fun and fall.....
Thanks for the tips on how to make those adorable little flowers....

hugs, Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Lauren Davenport said...

What a lovely home accent. And being homemade makes them even better!

Lottie Lee said...

Oh Stephanie- you always have THE most beautiful and creative ideas! I wish I had as much creativity and inspiration in my pinky finger as you do!

I really would love to try those accent cushions though- especially the rosettes- how easy for such a lovely effect!

Keep up the INCREDIBLE work as always!

Stay Glamorous!

xxxLottie Lee

http://vintagewarbride.com

Linda Primmer said...

Hello Stephanie, it's a pleasure to meet you. Your work is beautiful and so creative. It's my first time visiting. I am your newest linky follower.

Hope said...

Hello dear Stephanie,

Your pillows are very pretty, and it is fascinating to see how you make these flowers.

Hugs!
Hope

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

These pillows are gorgeous! I love the flowers and embellishments! you did such a great job!

I'd love for you to share this and any other crafts at my new linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

T'onna
http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-3-features.html

chateau chic said...

Your little pillows are so cute and the flowers are the icing on the cake!
Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I'm happy to be a new follower.
Mary Alice

Salmagundi said...

How clever you are! I love that you used recycled fabric - your flowers are darling. Sally

Katherines Corner said...

these are lovely! xo P.S. Hoping over from Cowgirl Up

LadyLydia said...

Thank you for all the effort to share this lovely tutorial. I have been looking online for instructions for these roses!

Laurel Leaf Cottage said...

Cute pillows!! Thank so much for the tutorial, you gave very clear instructions!! I just found you over at Cowgirl Up, and I'm now following!! =) Deanna

Mikaila said...

You are very talented. I am sure these pillows will be something you or someone you love can keep for a long time. Very Beautiful!

alittlebitofcraft.blogspot.com

Mikaila

Chenille Cottage said...

Your pillows are darling and oh so creative!
Blessings in Yeshua,
Carolynn xo

Trish said...

Stephanie these pillows are fantastic!
I absolutely love the orange one with green roses!
You are so gifted and I appreciate the lovely things you share here.
Thank you for the tutorial and thanks so much for linking this to Heart & Home!
I'll be trying this too now :-)
Have a lovely day.
blessings..Trish

Kathie said...

These hanging pillows are so pretty Stephanie! I like the last one the best! ;) Thanks for sharing the tutorial at Gettin' Krafty!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Stephanie,
Your pillows are so cute and what nice gifts they would make! Thank you for sharing the tutorial and linking with my HOME party. Have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

kitty said...

Hi Stephanie, what beautiful pillows and what a great tutorial, too. You do wonderful work!!

Barb said...

Hello Stephanie.....LOVE LOVE LOVE your pillows and tee shirt flowers. Thanks for showing them to us.
Have a good day
Barb from Australia

Bluebell Woods said...

found you at the home linky and I am now following you. Love the pillows and think thats great
Janice

Kate M said...

These pillows and flowers are awesome!! Thanks for sharing these and the tutorial is so helpful. Will have to have a go at these.
Kate
xx

Dewdrop Gardens said...

How sweet are these flowers! And oh so easy to make...and talk about recycling! They are perfect, I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing
Debbie :)

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

These are adorable, so unique! Wish I could sew!
♥Linsey

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love these! Nicely done. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

I featured your pillows at Submarine Sunday #4. Come on over and grab a featured button!

T'onna @ Navy Wifey Peters Aboard the USS Crafty

Vintage Street Designs said...

WOW...I just love your oh-so-sweet pillows!!! Just hopped over from Bouquet of Talent and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

Sally said...

These are so cute!

Kathy Moody said...

So beautiful! I love the rosettes. Another amazing job. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. I love seeing your awesome projects. :)

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

This is wonderful! These purse pillows look amazing - love the fabric flowers too - well done! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the green jewels in the middle of the pillows.

lisa

Nane said...

I love your pillows and thepretty flowers i will make me some becausei need something to add some color like your work and you as a pearsonthanks Peggy

Daisy Rogers said...

Thanks for the your wonderful time to give us. These cushions are so attractive. The coloring are stunning and material of fabric are outstanding. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial as you gave us

HealthTips said...

It's all great design idea, LOVE IT.
-----
See also more and compare for best prices deals for Decorative Pillows here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...