Monday, October 08, 2012

Tree Branch Hangers


I noticed my husband and I have a lot of wire hangers in our closet
which is surprising since our clothes don't go to the dry cleaner's very often
so I really don't know how we got so many....
Anyway, I thought I would do some work on the wire hangers
and "spruce" them up since they are not very attractive :)


For this project, you will need:
wire clothes hangers - if you don't have any I'm sure your local thrifty store does
yarn
tree cuttings
hot glue
hand saw, or sharp pruners
drill
needle-nose pliers, or something to cut the wire hanger

Cut your branches with a saw, or a pair of sharp pruners.
Make sure the cut is clean and straight
and you will want your tree cuttings to be 15 inches long.
I had a tree that had some dead branches on it so that's what I used.
Drill a hole in the center of each end branch.
Each hole should be about 1/8 inch in diameter and 1 inch deep.


Cut the hanger on each side leaving about 1 inch of wire.


Dab a small amount of hot glue on the end of the wire
and slide the wire ends into the holes of the wood.
Pressure should keep the wire in place,
but the hot glue gives it a more secure fit.

If you want to cover your hanger with yarn then this is what you will need to do.
Cut a piece of yarn that is about 5 feet long.
Start by making a simple knot -
the string will first go in front of the wire,
then circle behind it and through the string loop on the other side.
Now the string will go behind the wire and circle around in front and through the string loop.
I hope all that makes sense :)


You will do this on both sides with two separate strings.
When you reach the top of the hanger,
tie the two strings together in a cute bow or a knot.
Add a button or some other embellishment to finish it off.








And if you don't want to put yarn on your hanger 
then just keep it cute and simple.




The wire hangers look much better, don't you agree :)

Linking up with:

31 comments:

Crystelle said...

These are super cute! What a fun project to make with a friend! or your kids.....
Thanks for sharing your idea!

Lauren Davenport said...

What a clever idea!

Delvalina said...

You always have a brilliant idea! :)
Keep blessing!

Love,
your sister

Maria said...

What a wonderful idea! :)
m.

Green Willow Pond said...

These would be so cute displaying something special on the wall. I love these!

Have a great week!
Deborah

Chris said...

Hello Stephanie, I'm returning the "follow" and have written to tell you so, but I am also stopping by to tell you that I have created a shortcut to your blog on my desktop so that I can enjoy your beautiful music any time I want - my kind (heavenly). Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Sherri B. said...

Oh my, this has to be one of the most clever ideas for a wire hanger that I've ever seen..great job! xo

Barbara Jean said...

so what will you hang on your new wire hangers???

blessings sweet girl.

barb

Hope said...

These are so pretty, Stephanie! I love the colors you chose. What a great idea using the branches.

:) Hope

bj said...

fun fun fun...and sooo cute.:))

Hope said...

Oh Stephanie, you are too sweet!!!!
Yes, please promote.

I am looking forward to seeing what photo you choose.


Hugs to you!
♥Hope

Terri said...

What a fine project you have come up with! I have done the yarn on a hanger before, but never thought of the wood! It looks amazing!
Hugs,
Terri

Mary said...

Love your hangers, what a great 'make-over' for a boring old wire hanger!!

Trish said...

Stephanie your covered hangers looks fantastic!
I love the combination of wood and yarn.
Thanks for linking this lovely idea to Heart & Home.
Have a blessed week..Trish

jeanetteann said...

Stephanie,that is a great idea. You have a nice blog. Thank you for visiting mine and for your sweet comment. :)

Hope said...

Wow, Stephanie, I am impressed with how great you made that look on your sidebar. You are so kind.

Thank you!!!
♥Hope

Kathie said...

These hangers are so cute! I like the yarn or maybe even spray paint the wire first! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty With It!

Niki O'Reilly said...

A wonderful idea. This and other variations would make a great gift. Thanks for an idea for my stepson.

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Not a great fan of wire hangers - you've made them quite creative and lovely. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Delvalina said...

I saw this and this reminds me of you! :)
http://pinterest.com/pin/137289488612058388/
Love,

Mara said...

We have LOTS of wire hangers in our closet, since my husband's work clothes go to the cleaners often. If I was as talented as you, I'd be able to try a project like this and make my wire hangers look nice and fancy. Such a creative and unique idea. :)

Zaa said...

You're so super clever and user friendly with you creations... Love this one... Hugs

momstheword said...

Wow, that is really clever? How'd you come up with that, girl! My mind does not work in that direction, lol!

I just enjoy other people's cleverness. Loved your comment and the verse with it. So true!

Barb said...

What an interesting idea.....You could colour code them..each family member with their own colour....sounds good to me.
Have a good day
Barb from Australia

Yael at Home Garden Diggers said...

This is a very cute idea. I agree that they would be wonderful for displaying something. Quite unique.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Lottie Lee said...

What a fabulous idea! At my last job, our work uniforms were sent out to the drycleaners every week and I ended up with a surplus of the dreaded wire hangers! There are so many in my closet I feel like 'Mommie Dearest' at times :) This looks like a fabulous way to vamp them up!

Stay Glamorous!
xxxLottie Lee

Kate M said...

These are the prettiest hangers I have seen in some time - would never have thought to wrap yarn round them though!!

Love
Kate
xx

Jann Olson said...

What a fun idea. I especially love the branch! Thanks so much for sharing your creativeness with SYC.
Hugs,
Jann

Dewdrop Gardens said...

One of my grandmothers taught me how to cover wire hangers when I was young. I think that is the one thing that stuck with me over the years. We used a nylon yarn and tied it a bit different than you did...I still have a bunch of the ones I made back in the 70's, like you I rarely get wire hangers anymore. I should find some and make more, since they are cheaper than buying the common plastic ones!
God Bless you and your family
Debbie :)

Michelle's Tasty Creations said...

Super cute hangers! I love how you crocheted them. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
Michelle

Kathy Moody said...

What a clever idea, and they look great! You are so creative. Thanks so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. I love seeing your great projects. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...