Monday, November 26, 2012

Yarn Covered Jars With Yo-Yo Flowers

I don't know about you,
but there are moments I have a hard time getting motivated to do something.
A little while ago I was having one of those days....
I went to my craft room, sat on the floor and stared off into space.
I was thinking that I just wanted to read a book and eat some chocolate :)
But as I sat there the wheels in my head started turning
and this was the idea that formed,
yarn and lace covered jars with a bouquet of fabric flowers.
The Lord also brought a refreshing verse to my mind. . .

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do,
do all to the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31




Items Needed:
jars 
(I used spaghetti sauce jars that I had saved)
yarn
lace
hot glue gun and glue

I used a crotchet-type lace on the bottom.and this kept the yarn from falling off the jar.
Cut the lace to fit around the bottom and hot glue into place.
Wrap the yarn around the jar and tie a knot to secure;
begin wrapping the yarn around the jar (keep it tight).
As you can see with my jar I couldn't go all the way to the top because of its shape.


So when I got close to the top,
I hot glued the end of my yarn to the jar.
Then I hot glued lace at the top to cover the small area that wasn't covered by yarn.


Onto the yo-yo flowers....

Items Needed:
fabric
needle
thread
buttons, pearls, rhinestones, etc.
twigs

Decide how many flowers you want in your jar
and cut out that amount of circles from fabric (I used an old shirt).
I had 8 flowers in my bouquet
and my circles were 3.5-inches in size.
Then, cut out the same amount of smaller circles for the back of the flower.


Stitch along the edge of the circle.


When you get back to your starting point pull your thread tightly and tie a knot.
This is what you should have. . .


Flip your flower over
and place the top of the branch onto the back of the flower.
Apply some hot glue to the smaller circle and place over the branch.


Then apply an embellishment to the middle of the flower with hot glue.
And voila!




 I applied a felt Christmas tree to another jar that I made
and added some colorful candy canes.






Linking up with:

27 comments:

Julie Marie at Idyllhours said...

Those are soo adorable Stephanie!... your creativity never ceases to amaze me!... xoxo Julie Marie

Sylvia said...

Love the jars especially the one with the candy canes. What a good way to spend with some alone time!

budgeteer said...

Oh, now this is something I can do, as I have many empty jars and a lot of yarn. I think there are some lace scraps in my sewing basket. Thank you for posting this xx

Sara Blevins said...

I love it, you gave me some ideas for gifts. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hello New Friend!!

I am so glad, Stephanie, that you came for a visit and even signed up.

What a treat to come and visit your blog. So ready for Christmas... it's beautiful and so welcoming.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Bloggerly blisses...
Brenda

Lauren Davenport said...

I love making yo-yos. The jar idea is great. Blessings to you.

sew sweet vintage said...

ADORABLE! I love the yo-yo flowers:) Following your blog now. Follow me to art www.sewsweetvintage.com I posted
http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/11/reversible-holiday-note-board.html to the maniac monday party:)

Conniecrafter said...

very pretty, great recycling project, love the fabric you used for the flowers!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

That is a really pretty project.

Debbie said...

So very pretty! The yo yo flowers sure are cute.
Christmas is in the air, I just love it!
Your header is quite beautiful I might add, and the Christmas music is so enjoyable to listen to.
Thank you!

Blessing to you this day!

Helen B. @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

I am doing a collection of mason jars and they're all decorated different!! I actually have the perfect yarn for this one so I'll be pinning until I can get around to doing this project!!

Visiting via We Did It Wednesday!!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

OnceUpona Sew said...

Love this idea. I really like the textured flowers. Also I think this would make a cute hostess gift for the holiday season. Thanks for sharing.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

My Little Home and Garden said...

That's a cute idea and I imagine it was fun to create the jar and flowers.

Doni said...

How cute!! You have done a wonderful job on that and a really pretty project! LOVE those yoyos!!
Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday!!
Blessings,
Doni

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Stephanie,
You are so creative, my friend! Such a cute jar! I like your yo-yo flowers and with the lace trim, makes it really sweet. Thank you for sharing with my HOME and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Phylicia Brandt said...

Love this! This would make a great gift!

I'm your newest follower and I found you through the "Mom's Library Link Up"

Phylicia
http://heartsncraftsboutique.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

these are so cute love the yoyos.
coming in from Thumping thursday blog hop new follower.

Barb said...

Hi Stephanie...This is a lovely project.....I like the texture of the flowers and yarn combined with the lace. I could see these jars being used for pencils, crochet hooks, Knitting needles,cutlery at a party.......you have me thinking.
Thanks for sharing this idea..
Have a good day
Barb from Australia

Melanie said...

How cute!!! Love it and have to try it!!

sandy said...

LOVE your yoyo flowers. And the jar is cute too! So clever.
sandy :)

Trish.. said...

Stephanie these are fabulous!
I love making yo-yos and your covered jars look great with the pretty "flowers" you've made!
So..when are you publishing your craft book? lol!
Seriously, you are very talented and I'd love to have a book of your creations.
Thanks for linking up, my friend.
Have a blessed weekend!
love..Trish xx

Leslie Stewart said...

These are so cute! Love the flowers. I'd like to invite you to share at my Twirl & Take a Bow party at www.houseontheway.com. Hope you can join the fun!
Have a great weekend!
Leslie
houseontheway@gmail.com

Jann Olson said...

For not being in the mood Stephanie you certainly got your creative juices flowing. Love your sweet yo-yo flowers! I get like that sometimes. Isn't it funny how the mind just draws a blank sometimes and others just overflows with ideas? Enjoyed the sweet verse. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

I love these little flowers! Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Carrie said...

I love the little yo yo flowers and the yarn covered jar. I bet it would look nice covered in twine too.
Thanks for linking up at Think Tank Thursday. We hope to see you again tomorrow night.

Debi Bolocofsky said...

Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. This weeks party starts at 12:01AM on Wednesday and runs through Sunday night. Have a great week.
Debi, Joye and Myrna (The Busy Bee's), Linda (Two Succulent Sisters)

Sally Crowe said...

How cute! Love these, and they remind me of something similar I did many years ago (the flowers). :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...