Monday, December 24, 2012

The True Meaning Of Christmas

Christmas greetings, dear friends!


Christmas is my favorite holiday.
I love the twinkling lights,
the pretty packages lying under the tree waiting to be opened,
the sweet treats that are lovingly baked,
the delicious smell of a freshly cut Christmas tree in the living room,
the making of a gingerbread house with my son,
Christmas carols playing softly
and the mistletoe where I wait for my husband when he comes home from work :)
But these aren't the only reasons I love Christmas,
my number one reason for loving this holiday so much
is being able to celebrate the greatest gift the world received -
Jesus Christ! 
I am so thankful that Jesus Christ came to earth to be born of a virgin
so that I and all man-kind could receive Him as Lord and Savior!

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:
for he shall save his people from their sins.
Behold a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son,
and they shall call his name Emmanuel,
which being interpreted is, God with us."
Matthew 1:21,23

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called
Wonderful,
Counselor,
The Mighty God,
The everlasting Father,
The Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

I am truly in awe of the love God has shown us by sending His Son
to come to earth to die upon the cross at Calvary for the entire world.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world;
but that the world through him might be saved."
John 3:16,17

"In this was manifested the love of God toward us,
because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world,
that we might live through him."
1 John 4:9

So my main reason for loving Christmas - celebrating my Savior's birth.
I do love the other joy's of Christmas and I enjoy each one,
but nothing can compare to the humble birth of Lord and Savior.
I hope you, dear friends, are celebrating the real reason for this lovely season.

Now for a little Christmas tradition....
My mom bought ornaments every year for Christmas for my sister and me since we were born.
She then gave us our collected ornaments when we got married.
I have also started doing this with my son
and will give him his ornaments when he has a family of his own.
Each year when we decorate the tree
I love unwrapping the treasured Christmas ornaments from years gone by.
A lot of them have sweet memories behind them
and I enjoy reminiscing :)

Here are a few of my favorites. . .


I got this cute guy when I was only one.
I remember every year I would play with it.
In fact, my mom had to hot glue it several times
since I couldn't keep my hands off of him :)


I made this ornament in Sunday School when I was 2 or 3 years old.
It's not in the greatest shape, but it's still holding up after 24 years.


I always enjoyed reading this mini Hershey's cookbook when I was younger.
I am a book-lover so I thought it was great that books could be ornaments.


My mom gave me this sweet tea cup ornament after I was married.
She knows I love tea cups and this has become a favorite of mine.


I found 8 of these pretty glass balls at a garage sale
so I got them and put them away in my hope chest
to use when I got married :)


This Noah's Ark was my son's first Christmas ornament....
he was still in my tummy when he got it :)

Do you have any special ornaments
that you are always excited about putting up on the Christmas tree?
I would love it if you shared some of your memories with me :)

Merry Christmas, my sweet friends!
I hope you have a joyful Christmas day and a blessed New Year!

22 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

That is the same tradition that my family had, my mother handed down all the ornaments I recieved over the years, half were home made and then I did the same when my daughter got married, I love having a tree of memories of our lives together than a tree that all the ornaments were bought to match, my favorite our the home made ones from family and friends... Merry Christmas!!

Lauren Davenport said...

What a lovely tradition. You must feel very blessed every year as you unwrap the ornaments and reflect on happy memories. Blessings to you this Christmas as you celebrate our Saviour's birth.

Julie Marie at Idyllhours said...

Beautiful post Stephanie... I love all of your special ornaments and the memories each holds... my favorite most special ornament is an angel that was mine when I was a little girl... she is cardboard with a little spun~cotton head... she has a broken wing... to me, that makes her even more beautiful... she reminds me of the beautiful Martina McBride song "And With A Broken Wing"... she still flies... she reigns over all on our vintage~decorated Christmas tree year after year... I post her often I love her so much... wishing you and your family many blessings and a very Merry Christmas!... xoxo Julie Marie PS MY beautiful stocking I won from you is hanging up waiting for Santa to fill!...

Dewdrop Gardens said...

Jesus is the reason for the season! Love this post.
Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year!
Debbie :)

becktovintage said...

Happy and Merry Christmas dear my friend..:))

Sara Blevins said...

Merry Christmas to you too! Thank you for sharing your childhood memorries. I love the tea cup ornament, how cute! Absolutely, Jesus is the best gift and the only reason for this reason.

Debbie said...

We have the same tradition Stephanie and this year my son took all his ornaments for his 'first' Christmas tree in his 'first' apartment. It was bittersweet. Proud that he has grown into a fine young man but sad to see my little boy all grown up!!!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie...Merry Christmas my sweet friend! Blessings ♥ Teri

sandy said...

Lovely post! Your ornaments are so sweet. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family! ;)

Roberta said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family
Roberta

Sherri B. said...

A very Blessed Christmas to you and yours, my friend! xo

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Stephanie, I hope your Christmas was filled with treasured memories and blessings. Wishing you a beautiful 2013. Love all your special ornaments. :)

Vanessa said...

Hi, Stephanie

What a great post! Lovely Christmas decor, really special.

Have a great week.

Hugs,

Vanessa

Vanessa said...

Hi, Stephanie

What a great post! Lovely Christmas decor, really special.

Have a great week.

Hugs,

Vanessa

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Stephanie.......what a lovely tradition your mother has passed on to you. The ornaments are beautiful.
Special memories full of love.
Have a nice day
Barb from Australia

Rachel said...

Your Christmas ornaments are gorgeous! I haven't collected very many yet!

Crystal said...

Beautiful Post and beautiful Blog!!!
I'm a new follower!
Hope you follow back!

Heather said...

I love your post and reading about your ornament tradition. I love tea cups and tea pots, too.
Heather

Irfan Butt said...

now following you from the hop! I would lnvite you to follow me at
http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com/

Delvalina said...

You have beautiful Christmas decoration and beautiful house! :)
and I just saw the another beautiful you on this blog.

I was thinking too to put my picture on a Christmas tree but I decided not then haha. You looks so cute thre!

Hopefully talk to you soon. Praying for you as always.

Love,
Delvalina

Bluebell Woods said...

love the traditional pictures and sentiments of Christmas. Love the glitter and the sparkle but most of all the sheer wonder of it all..........the birth of Jesus
Janice

Kate M said...

It's good to be reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. I love your treasured ornaments - particularly your teacup and your son's Noah's ark!
God bless!
your dear friend
Kate
xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...