Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mom's The Word {Guest Post}

Today's guest post is written by the delightful Nan from
Mom's The Word.
I met Nan several months ago and my life has not been the same :)
She has enriched my life with her enlightening posts and hilarious day-to-day moments.
She has plenty of laughter, wisdom and understanding to share at her blog
so I would encourage you to take a moment and go visit her.

Hi! I'm Nan. 
My kids were ages one and five just yesterday. I know it.
Somehow they just grew overnight.
I don’t know, maybe I was in the bathroom shaving my legs or something and I missed it.
I blog about all sorts of stuff.
My loving Savior, my precious husband and children, organization, frugality, homemaking, homeschooling, chocolate, hairy legs and acrylic nails…..
but through it all I hope you will find laughter, encouragement and fun!
What is one thing a mom craves and wants more of?


Me time.


What is the first thing that is sacrificed the most when mom gets busy?


Me time.


When my children were younger I really craved that "me" time.
Sometimes that time consisted of me in the bathroom, on my knees in prayer - begging God to give me patience, kind words and sanity, while little hands were waving under the locked door, and little voices were hollering "Mommy? Mommy? What you doin' in dere?"


I believe that it is good for a mom to take some time for herself and recharge.
Whether that recharge is in the bathroom on her knees, in a soapy bubble bath with a good book,
or out for a diet coke with a girlfriend.


But I also believe that we moms have to accept the "job" of wives and momhood that we took on. We have to accept the role we fulfill in our families. We have to accept that it is not about us.


A mom will be the first to tell you that it's not about her.
 Especially a mom who is knee-deep in diapers and spit up.
She knows it's not about her.

But does she accept it or resent it?


We moms can be martyrs, drudging along with our household responsibilities.
Poor me. Look at all I have to do. No one appreciates me.


Doing the laundry and changing diapers all day with no adult conversation until daddy comes home, or perhaps working outside the home and then rushing home to get a meal on the table,
cleaning toilets and cleaning bottoms.




Are we serving our family joyfully or with an air of self-pity and martyrdom?



Is that the image we really want to portray to our families? To others? To ourselves? That we are parenting in extreme suffering and distress?


Are we complaining so much to our husband that he says "Well, if you're so unhappy at home with the kids, maybe you should just go out and get a job."

Do we give the impression that we're happy being a mom or miserable?

We're all going to have rough days now and then.
We're going to have days when a bubble bath and a little quiet seems like an impossible dream.
We're going to have nights with a sick child or a screaming baby or a rebellious teenager.


But we're going to have days where our baby's smile takes our breath away.
Where our child's hug warms our heart.
Where our teenager's "I love you, mom" brings tears of joy.
I wouldn't trade that.
Would you?


On those days when "me" time becomes "Who, ME?" time, let's remind ourselves that when we are serving our family we are serving the Lord. 

Let's go to Him for the grace and strength we need to face those days with a smile instead of a frown, with joy instead of frustration, laughter instead of tears,
and that "me" time will turn into "WE" time and we will have an amazing day with our families!
Click on the link below to visit Nan and her amazing blog.


10 comments:

Lynda said...

Great post! I love Nan, go spend some time at her blog. HILARIOUS!, and so much wisdom.

Sylvia said...

What a great post! I can certainly relate. Now that my 3 girls are grown and married we set dates to have "Girl Time". I find now that my oldest grandchild is about to turn 17 I have to make a date to spend "time" with him, we have one tonight, my hubby and I are taking him out to dinner. I am going now to Nan's blog.

Sara Blevins said...

Welcome Back Stephanie! I missed you, I hope you had a great vacation and refreshed. Thank you for stopping by!

Natalie said...

What a fun post! A great reminder of the "good old days!" I can certainly relate and to tell the truth, it's hard having "grown-ups" as children (ha! isn't that an oxymoron) good thing we have grandchildren, the icing on the cake of life. The Lord knew!
Thanks Stephanie for your sweet comment on my blog!! And for becoming a follower. God bless.

momstheword said...

Thank you for allowing me the privilege of guest posting on your sweet blog! And that you for that wonderful intro!

It was fun! I totally forgot that the guest post was coming out today though.

But since you've read my blog I know I don't have to explain to you how I could forget something as simple as that, though. Lol! ;)

Karen said...

Very inspiring, Nan! I wish you were around when I was a young mother to give me that pep talk I so needed at times. I can really relate to being on my knees in the bathroom while little hands reached under the door! I remember those days well! Being a Mother was the biggest blessing in my life and I wouldn't change a day of it, but yes, it was hard. I do love your post. It reminds us what is truly important.

Welcome back Stephanie, I do hope you are renewed and refreshed. Hugs xoxo

kitty said...

I love the words that when we are serving our family, we are serving The Lord! We all need to remember that and thank you for the reminder.

Jessica @ A Humble Creation said...

Beautiful post, Nan! Thank you for the gentle and loving reminder to be the women God has created us to be...bringing Him glory in all that we do! I also enjoyed your sense of humor!

Ashley~ said...

Thank you. This was an encouragement to me ( mom of a 2yr old and 1yr old!). It is great to remember I am serving The Lord by cooking, cleaning, caring for little ones, and reading to them.

budgeteer said...

Nan always makes me smile!

Lesley x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...