Sunday, March 24, 2013

Near The Cross

A dear lady at my church gave a testimony the other week
and since then I have constantly thought about something she said:

When you lose your fire, you need to revisit the cross.

And I have now been thinking about a certain hymn that goes along with this sentence.

Near The Cross

Jesus, keep me near the cross -
There a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream,
Flows from Calv'ry's mountain.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day
With its shadows o'er me.

Near the cross I'll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand
Just beyond the river.

Chorus
In the cross, in the cross
Be my glory ever,
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest, beyond the river.
- Fanny Crosby -
{Image courtesy of Antique Images}

Words cannot express the thankfulness I have
for my Savior's willingness to die on the cross for my sins.
He did not have to place Himself in that position,
yet out of love and compassion He chose to take upon Himself
the sins of the world so that you and I might have life-everlasting through Him.
Simple faith in Christ Jesus is all it takes.
How humbled I feel when I think of all that Jesus has done!

Many times I do lose my fire and I lose sight of God's vision
and what this sweet lady shared hit a chord within me.
I spent time revisiting the cross, a place I should visit often, 
remembering ALL that I have because of Jesus.

May you have a blessed Lord's Day!

14 comments:

Vicky Hunt said...

Love this post and how true those words are...:) I have some sweet news for you! You are the winner of my giveaway! I will be picking up the last couple of items this week and then sending it off soon...:) Please reply and when I get the e-mail, I will get with you and get your mailing address...:) Congrats!

Blessings, Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane

Debbie said...

I love that phrase and will be adding to my prayer book. Thank you. Have a Blessed Sunday!

Carol Z said...

Wishing you a sweet, sweet Sunday!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

yep..great message. Happy Sunday

Elizabethd said...

The most important thing in our lives.

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful phrase. Happy Palm Sunday to you- xo Diana

Mary said...

This hymn brings back so many memories. So many Sunday mornings sitting in a pew at our little church singing these precious words. In the cross, in the cross
Be my glory ever, Till my raptured soul shall findRest, beyond the river. Amen and Amen. Blessings to you and your family this beautiful Palm Sunday. :~)

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

What a great quote for us to remember!

Mrs R said...

Stephanie, I am writing that quote down to remember. So true... Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

A wonderful reminder. Thank you and God bless.

Lady Linda said...

Bless your sweet heart Stephanie. Lovely post.
Love,
Linda

Jessica @ A Humble Creation said...

What a beautiful reminder! Thank you, Stephanie. I miss many of the old hymns as we sing a lot of more "modern" praise songs at our church. I was so blessed today to be reminded of his hymn.

Debbie Harris said...

That was a beautiful post today Stephanie, thank you for the reminder. I can almost guess who the dear and lovely lady is. :)
Today in church we were in 1John 3:8 "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil."
Jesus came to destroy what satan started, for sin began with satan. I praise God for His love for us, in that He would give up His Son to come and set us free from the bondage of sin! Hallelujah, what a Savior!

To our God be the glory!

Love you!

Karen Frost said...

Such a lovely reminder, Stephanie of what is truly important. Blessings xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...