Monday, April 15, 2013

Bouquet Of Blessings Pillow

I have a thing for throw pillows...I don't know why, but I do :)
My hubby likes to tease me about the throw pillows on our bed saying they are pointless...
I have to kindly disagree.
I think they make the bed look cozy and I love curling up in all the pillows
with a good book and a cup of coffee.
Who knows, maybe one day I will see it his way
or he will see it my way.
I might just find him in all the pillows reading....but not likely.
For now he is a darling and puts up with the pillows
(I am blessed with the most wonderful man).
They do come in handy for a pillow fight that takes place often in our home :)


So I made a new pillow (of course).
I thought this pillow was perfect for Spring
since the flowers are starting to make their appearance
and the grass is turning green.

Rosie Girl (again) hogging the camera :)

And just a little side note -
I was thinking these would be super cute to make for May Day.
You know, instead of using a basket, you could make this pillow and fill the pocket with goodies.

Here is what you will need to make one for yourself or someone special.

2 pieces of fabric the same width and length
jean back pocket
thread
scissors
measuring tape
sewing machine
poly-fil
fabric for flowers (optional)
flower wire (optional)
fake flowers


Cut your fabric the same width and length
(my squares were 9.5" X 9.5" because that was all I had left of this fabric).
Cut out a back pocket from an old pair of jeans.
(If you have a child, keep their old jeans - they will come in handy one day).


Attach the pocket to the FRONT piece of fabric.
Sew along the edge of the pocket.


Pin the two pieces of fabric with RIGHT sides together.
Sew along the edge with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Leave a small opening for stuffing your pillow.


Trim each corner.
This helps make the corners pointier.


Turn the pillow right side out
and use something pointy, but not sharp, to push out the corners.


Stuff the pillow with poly-fil
and then hand-sew the opening closed.

I used fake flowers and three yo-yo flowers made out of jean
which were made by me for the bouquet.


If you want to make yo-yo flowers, click here for the tutorial.
I used flower wire for the stem.


Then I hot glued the tip of the wire to the back of the yo yo.
and covered it with a small jean circle.


Arrange the flowers in the pocket
and you now have a lovely Spring bouquet :)



The pillow looks cute without the flowers too.
You could put just about anything in the jean pocket.
Be creative :)



Blessings to each one of you!

Linking up with:
Make It Pretty MondayBouquet Of TalentSharing The Shelter
Homemaking PartyA New CreationHandmade Tuesdays

30 comments:

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

What a great project for May Day! You can never have enough pillows for a good pillow fight ;)

Elizabethd said...

Well, what a pretty idea. I had to look twice to see if the flowers were real!

Debbie said...

Very, very cute Stephanie! Love the little flowers you made to go with it. Have a wonderful day!

Ashley~ said...

Super cute!

Sylvia said...

Very prety!

JES said...

What a fun and happy project! I too love pillows :) especially for propping with books and coffee like you suggested!

Debby said...

What a cute idea. Love the pocket of flowers.

kitty said...

That little jean pocket pillow is adorable, Stephanie. Years ago, I decorated a t-shirt with a jeans pocket and a pretty hankie. Thanks for the reminder! I think this would be wonderful for May Day as a sweet gift. Thank you, too, for your lovely visit. xo

Marcia Pilar said...

Oh, I love throwpillows too, Stephanie. This is ADORABLE. Just wish I could sew, although I can make a plain one...just have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine. ;) LOVE this.
I'm taking a blogging leave, most likely until autumn, but I will continue to visit my favorite pages. If you're ever on facebook, I just opened a facebook page for one of my blog series, Glitter and a Movie. Simpler for now.
XOXO's

Maria said...

I LOVE your pocket pillow with the lovely spring bouquet! What a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Take care, hugs!

Meeha Meeha said...

Hi, Rosie girl! (sorry, she is a real show stopper) I love throw pillows in general, but yours is super-cool, with that creative jean pocket - it looks like spring garden in a nutshell :)

Anne said...

That is so cute! What a cleaver idea!
xx
Anne

Mary said...

Very cute idea, I really love the flowers! Have a great week! Blessings!

Sherri B. said...

I had to smile about your hubby and the pillows..for some reason our sweet men can't seem to understand the 'value' of the pillows on the bed.

Your pillow is so sweet, I'm with Elizabeth, I also had to look twice to see that the flowers were not real. Thanks for taking the time to give us such good instructions on making one of our own.

Have a lovely day, my friend. xo

Linda said...

I love throw pillows too Stephanie, but, alas, I have absolutely no talent for sewing. I have a couple of pillow covers cut out (with my Mom's help) and they have been sitting for months. I am intimidated by the silly sewing machine :) I also have a little quilt all pieced and ready to machine quilt, but I am too nervous to try it. I actually did a whole quilt by hand and seemed to like that better, but I wanted to get this done quickly. It has been sitting in the closet for about a year now.
You do inspire me, but I'm just not sure...
You've been on my heart dear one. Praying His peace and comfort for you.

Regine Karpel said...

Beautiful!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Vicky Hunt said...

Such a sweet little pillow and what a wonderful idea for May Day! The little denim yo yo flowers are too cute....great job!

Blessings, Vicky
Life On Willie Mae Lane

Gina said...

Stephanie - how darling! And thank you so much for including the step by step directions! :-)

Heather said...

Stephanie,
This is so darling!!! I just love it and I love the flowers you put in the pocket!!! It is just the cutest pillow ever!!!
Have a good week
Heather

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Cute paisley design and the jean pocket is perfect to hold "flowers". I love the look of lots of pillows, but you won't find many on my bed because I don't have the patience to arrange them perfectly every day. :)

Trish said...

Lovely little pillow, Stephanie!
Your hubby sounds like mine..not much of a chushion fan,lol!
But yours are so cute, I'm sure your hubby will change his mind and come 'round :-)
blessings..Trish

Debbie Harris said...

That Rosie girl is too much!!!

Blessings!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

So very pretty! You always make such pretty things!

Jessica White said...

This is adorable!! I just pulled out my son's jeans that have big holes in the knees and was trying to decide how to repurpose them. I think I've found my answer, Stephanie. Thank you!

Kate M said...

What a fabulous idea. I too had to look closely to check whether the flowers were real,,and thanks for the instructions. I hope that pocket didn't come off hubby's jeans! I also love how you up-cycle material from clothing! (I won't say from old clothing, because I guess you have sometimes cut up stuff that wasn't old or damaged too- I know that I have!)
My sister-in-law visited on Friday and taught Lexie (6) how to sew, and later that day Lexie made a little owl - I will email the pictures to you later!
Meantime, take care my friend.
Love
Kate
xx

Mrs. A. said...

Wow! That throw pillow is just too cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

Conniecrafter said...

such a cute idea for may day, your flowers are so lovely!

Linda Nortje said...

This is super cute! Love all the detail you added :-)

Linda
With A Blast

Garden Chef said...

You never run out of ideas! I love your rose! Gotta pin this! Still from Life in Lakeshore Drive link up.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

What a fabulous idea to use the jeans pocket on your pillow!!! Not only does it look good, but it's a great way to reuse jeans. These would be perfect for a child to store a little softie. I would love for you to share this at our Ongoing linky that's just for Pillows and Cushions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...