Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Prayer Box - Book Review

When Iola Anne, a ninety-one year old woman, passes away in her sleep,
a struggling young mother and newcomer to Hatteras Island
 finds herself in charge of cleaning and organizing the elderly woman's home.
At first Tandi thinks it's just a job to get a little extra money, but soon it turns into more.
The minute Tandi steps into Iola Anne's home she begins an amazing journey,
a journey that will change her life.
Tandi comes across several prayer boxes from Iola Anne's life. 
Drawn to the boxes and letters inside, 
Tandi begins to learn a great deal about this precious lady and herself.

Always good at fleeing the past, 
Tandi soon realizes she can't keep running and it's time to face her fears and struggles head on.
"You can't run from the past.
You have to take it for what it is and realize it's part of you."

Tandi begins to learn about faith, love, hope,
and the sweet possibilities of opening herself up to the Lord.


My Thoughts

One word - extraordinary!
This book was truly remarkable and a delight to read.
At first I was hesitant about starting it because, in all honesty, 
I thought it would be slow and maybe a little boring.
Now I am ashamed to say I even thought that of sweet author Lisa Wingate.
She did an incredible job writing this book and totally captured my attention- 
I could not put the book down!
The story of deceased Iola Anne is precious;
she's the kind of character you can look up to and admire.
You can't help but love Tandi and feel compassion for her 
as she struggles with being a mother and just life in general.
Lisa Wingate weaves together the lives of these two ladies in such a way 
that will leave you smiling and crying tears of joy at the same time.

I highly recommend this book!
You will not regret reading it :)

*** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. ***

14 comments:

Delvalina said...

It sounds beautiful book sister.
I love the cover :)

Love always win. I am hoping talk to you soon sister, been praying for you.

Love,
Eva

Debbie Harris said...

Though I do not read much you have me wanting to borrow this book from you and read it. I sounds like something I would really enjoy.

Greeat review!!

Much love!

Elizabethd said...

That sounds such a good book to read. I checked it on Amazon...and sadly it is £10 plus just for the Kindle version. I'll wait!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love all of Lisa Wingate's books! I'll definitely look for this one! Enjoy your afternoon my friend!

Vee said...

I don't think that I have ever heard you this pleased with a book. Hmmmm...now I'm curious.

Mrs. Smith said...

I am heading over to Amazon to put it on my wish list! Great review, dear Stephanie!

Theophanie said...

Nice review. :) I love the name Iola Anne!

Denise said...

Wow, sounds like my kind of book.

A Daughter of the King said...

Thanks for the review. I've placed it on my "want to read" shelf.

Nina said...

Hi Stephanie,

This book sounds like one I would enjoy reading! I'll write the title down and check if it's available as an e-book. And those rasberry cookies look so delicious!
Enjoy your weekend,
Nina

Abiola said...

Definitely sounds like a good read with many lessons interwoven.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friend.

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

THANK YOU!!

I have been needing a new read, will definitely need to get this one!

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! Another book review! Good for you, girl. And you really liked this one, so it makes it that much more fun.

I am not familiar with this author, so thanks for introducing me to her :)

Love to you, my friend!
Ceil

Cleo Rogers said...

What a fascinating interview from sharing about her special first grade teacher, Mrs. Krackhardt,her real-life Grandma Rose stories to all those individuals that have helped Lisa a long the way make her imagination come alive. Thanks for sharing :)!
Learn about Black Pepper Beef Jerky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...