Friday, November 15, 2013

Every Waking Moment - Book Review

Treha Langsam is a mysterious young woman 
working with the elderly at Desert Gardens.
She is quiet, does not smile, and shows no emotion,
yet she can touch someones life and bring them out of their dementia
back to a life of vibrant, if only temporary, clarity.
The people that see Treha bring an elderly person back to clarity 
believe she has a beautiful gift.
Treha does not remember much from her past 
and has no idea as to how she learned to use this precious gift.

A documentary team gathering stories from the elderly stumbles onto Treha's story
and the search for her past begins.
Treha and those who love her begin tackling difficult questions as they search for her past.
What is the story behind this mysterious yet remarkable young lady
and are the answers worth finding out?


My Thoughts

When I first began reading Every Waking Moment 
I had an extremely difficult time getting into the story
and thought maybe I would not make it to the last chapter.
But the further I progressed in the book
the more my attention was grabbed by Treha's story
until I was in love with this dear young lady.
Here you have a woman who struggles with certain issues in life
yet she continues to push through the difficulties to find the answers.
Treha is a real woman with real problems just like you and me 
and she learns to cope and deal with each difficult step.

Chris Fabry writes a wonderful book about blessed hope and sweet redemption.
The first thing that stood out to me was the fact that Chris 
wrote about salvation through Jesus Christ within the first 2 chapters.
That shows to me what is important to this author and I greatly appreciated this.
When I was almost to the middle of the book I was encouraged by what he wrote
in the 18th chapter:
"How did you learn so much about the Bible?"
"Only one way to learn and that's to open and read it.
Ask questions.
Listen to others who know it better than you do.
And stay away from people who think they have God figured out
or who say they know the code.
You come to the Bible humbly and admit you don't know everything - that's the key."

The book may have been slow for me in the beginning, but it sure did have an incredible ending
and I would definitely recommend this book.
There are many lessons and good values to learn from Every Waking Moment.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

10 comments:

Meeha Meeha said...

Indeed, we must first accept that we don't know everything... in fact we don't know anything! Thank you for the review :)

Billie Jo said...

Always looking for a good read, my friend...

Thanks for sharing!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! : )

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Thank you for this review, Stephanie! This book is offered in my book club and I almost bought it and now I will. I love the premise - my Dear Father had Alzheimer's, but every so often he would have moments of clarity. This book sounds lovely. Hope you are having a lovely Friday. It is raining hard here, but I am cozy. Blessings, Karen xo

NanaDiana said...

I am glad you were able to get into the book. I have had several books that I would start and put down because they didn't "grab" me. I found sometimes there were some of the best books I ever read. xo Diana

Anne Payne said...

I've heard good things about this author's books but haven't had the opportunity to read any yet. Your review certainly tempts me to request one :) Good job!

Gina said...

Stephanie, thanks for the review. I've not heard of this author before.

Debbie Harris said...

Good review! I think I would enjoy this book just because of the way Treha had a precious gift in reaching dementia patients, that is right up my alley. :)

The Lord bless you!

Maggie Ann said...

I haven't heard of this author before. I did download the other book you recommended, but can't recall the name of it just now. I'm a bit behind in my reading. I just finished 'A Mountain Between Us' by Charles Martin.

kitty said...

I'm so glad that once you got I to the book, you really enjoyed it, Stephanie! It sounds like it was a worthwhile read. Hope you've had a good weekend, sweet friend. xo

Delvalina Tuanger said...

Oh Stephanie,

You always have a beautiful books and makes me want to climb to you bookshelf :)
A beautiful story and the its message. I love your thoughts on the story.

Hugs,
EVa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...