Thursday, November 21, 2013

Zucchini Casserole-Thanksgiving Dish #4

Today is a delicious zucchini casserole dish.
I don't often cook with zucchini, but this recipe is a delicious addition to any meal.
And I love that it has green chili peppers in it since they are a staple in our house :)


So for this tasty zucchini, rice, and tomato casserole you are going to need:

1 cup uncooked long grain rice
3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies (I used 4 fresh roasted chilies)
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, divided 
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped onion, optional
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large tomato, sliced

Cook rice according to package directions.
In a saucepan, cook zucchini in 1 in. of water until crisp-tender;
drain and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the sour cream, chilies, onion, parsley, salt, oregano, and pepper.
Set aside.

Place rice in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheese onto the rice.

Spread the sour cream mixture over the cheese.

Layer with zucchini and tomato.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray (this keeps the cheese from sticking)
and cover the dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake for 5 - 10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.


Enjoy your Thursday, friends!

12 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

I love the pretty, festive bowl you used. It sure will look pretty on the table. :)

NanaDiana said...

That sounds good- I have never had anything quite like it. I am saving the recipe for next years crop of zucchini- xo D

Debbie Harris said...

I may just have to make that! Something new would be a treat as we always stick to the same dishes.

I loved your display for the photography, very nice.

Blessings!

Mary said...

Oh my, that looks good! Always enjoy my visits to The Enchanting Rose!

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! This looks incredibly good. Zucchini is one vegetable my husband and I can agree on! And the cheese doesn't hurt either :)

I'm going to copy it and see what the husband thinks!

I got a note from Delvalina. She is concerned that she has not heard about the package she sent. Any word on that? I would suppose she is contacting you too.
Have a great day!
Ceil

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh my! Anything with cheese and sour cream has my attention! An extra helping, please! Thank you for sharing, Stephanie - it looks scrumptious! Hugs xo Karen

Gina said...

Stephanie, I am going to bookmark your holiday recipes. They all look so delicious!

Hope said...

I am not big on zucchini, but this actually looks really good, which I am sure it is.

:) Hope

Vicky Hunt said...

Oh my goodness Stephanie! This sounds amazing...and I am definitely going to try it! It's very different than any zucchini dish I have ever had or made. Thanks for sharing it! Have a blessed Thursday evening my friend. Hugs, Vicky

Conniecrafter said...

my daughter and her husband are vegetarians, I think they would just love this recipe, tfs!

Melinda Ruth said...

This looks delicious! My family loves Zucchini, so this should be a fun new recipe to try. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

Mindy Whipple said...

Both my husband and I love zucchini and always grow it in the garden. I will add your recipe to my list of new ones to try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...