Saturday, December 07, 2013

Critical Reaction - Book Review

"WHEN A WARNING SIRENS SCREAMS IN THE DESERT NIGHT,
THE WORST HAS HAPPENED."

After turning out plutonium for the Cold War,
the shuttered Hanford Nuclear Facility's poisoned buildings may be a bigger risk than ever.
The men who guard the facility from sabotage or monitor its buildings 
are told the dangers are under control.
But then the worst happens - a thunderous explosion in the dead of night.
Kieran Mullaney survived the blast, 
but when threats and silence meet his attempts to discover what really happened, 
he reconnects with an old friend - inexperienced lawyer Emily Hart.
Convinced Hanford is hiding something, they also realize their case is sunk without more help.
Emily's estranged father, Ryan, has the courtroom experience they need,
but he's grown jaded and weary of the profession.
Still, it's a chance to rebuild ties to Emily,
and the deeper he digs, the stranger - and more dangerous - the case gets.
(From the back cover of the book).


My Thoughts 

I believe this is a book you will either thoroughly enjoy 
or it will remain on your shelf collecting dust after reading it.
Unfortunately for me, it would be the latter...
Todd M. Johnson does a good job with his writing 
and weaves a fairly interesting tale with good details,
but to be quite honest, I was disappointed with this book and I will tell you my reason.
I was disappointed with the fact that this is a "Christian" fiction book
because when I was done reading it I thought back
and realized that the Lord is hardly mentioned.
In the beginning chapters there is a moment when the explosion takes place at Hanford
and Poppy, a security guard, realizes he may die 
and as he is laying there he thinks maybe this is his time to meet God.
I was also disappointed with the settings in the book; a few times a character would be in a bar.
Also, there wasn't any bad language, but there was reference to swear words.
For example, in the book a sentence was used like this, "We'll catch that little Aussie son of -"
My problem is that even though the cuss word is not there your mind automatically puts it there,
if you know what I mean.
This is supposed to be a "Christian" book and one of the things I love about Christian fiction
is that most times I can rest in the fact that it will be clean.
Maybe I am being too "nit-picky" about it, but this is just my personal taste.
Would I recommend this book to someone? 
Probably not.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Todd M. Johnson has practiced law for over 30 years, specializing as a trial lawyer.
A graduate of Princeton University and the University of Minnesota Law School,
he has also served as a US diplomat in Hong Kong.
He lives outside Minneapolis, Minnesota, with his wife and daughter.
Learn more at:
www.athortoddjohnson.com

2 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

Hi there, Stephanie! I enjoy reading your book reviews!

I have nominated you for the Liebster Award - the link is http://sweetteaandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2013/12/liebster-award-fun.html. Take care, my friend! Will catch up with you soon!

Debbie Harris said...

I appreciate your honesty in this book review.
Always a great review from you!

Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...