Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Lovely Lace Ornaments

If you didn't already know, I love lace, but this wasn't always the case.
I remember as a little girl I hated the stuff because my mom (bless her heart)
would put me in frilly, lacy dresses.
Yes, they were pretty, but oh my, they were wretchedly uncomfortable to sit in!
I remember squirming on the church pew just waiting for the service to end
so that I could get up and run.
You're probably wondering what this has to do with the lace ornaments 
that I'm about to show you
and to be honest, it has absolutely nothing to do with them :)
I just got sidetracked with a trip down memory lane.
How about you, did you have to wear itchy, uncomfortable dresses when you were younger?
Hey, maybe you still wear them :)

Okay, moving on to the ornaments...
Last year I made some pretty lace ornaments and you can find the tutorial here.
This year I wanted to make some more, but decided to make them easier.
They ended up turning out quite lovely with a lot less work.


Here is what you will need to make your own:


lace trim
sewing needle
thread
scissors
ribbon
felt
thin cardboard
hot glue gun and glue
and....that's all :)
Oh wait, no it's not!
You will also need some beads, buttons, or any kind of embellishment.

To get started you will need to cut two strips of lace.
One strip will be 13.5 inches long and the other strip will be 9 inches long.
This will make a small lace ornament so if you want it to be bigger than cut your strips longer.
And you can add however many layers of lace you want - it doesn't have to be just two.

Thread your needle and sew a running stitch along the top edge.


Gently pull the thread to form a circle and then sew the ends together.


This is what your circles of lace should look like.
One is larger than the other, obviously :)


Cut out two matching circles of felt that are 2 1/4 inches in size.
Then cut a slightly smaller circle out of thin cardboard
(I used a fruit snack box.)

Apply hot glue to one side of the cardboard and place on the felt.
Cut a strip of ribbon that is about 7 inches long and hot glue into place on the cardboard.
Apply the other piece of felt with hot glue.


Now apply the larger lace circle onto the felt using hot glue.


And then comes the smaller circle.
After that you can add your embellishment to the center.


I hope everything made sense :)
These ornaments are easy to make and look pretty on the Christmas tree 
or scattered around your home during the holiday season.



Tie them onto your Christmas packages for a pretty, feminine touch.


Have a delightful day, my lovely friends!


Click on the links below to see the other two ornaments that I have shared
and don't forget to stop by tomorrow for another handmade ornament tutorial :)

1. Sweet Cupcake Ornaments
2. Twig Frame Ornament

Linking up with:
Create, Link, Inspire

25 comments:

Judith Kowles said...

Stephanie, they are just beautiful!! I wish I had the time to make them...but I probably don't have the time this year.

Miss Val's Creations said...

These are so sweet Stephanie. Like lacy snowballs for the tree!

donna said...

I love them. You know they would also make a gorgeous brooch. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs
donna

MichelleReflects said...

These are so lovely, Stephanie! I have always loved lace, but I know what you mean by uncomfortable frilly dresses. My daughter is a girly-girl, but with those kind of dresses, she cannot abide!

Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a blessed week.

Sorry about the deleted comment above, I had a technical issue and wanted to re-do the comment!:)

Sarah said...

Very lovely Stephanie! My mom made similar ornaments when we were little, but rather than using beads in the centers she used little red roses. I always liked them... maybe I will have to make some too. :)

-Sarah

Debbie Borthwick said...

I remember you doing these last year, they are sooo pretty! I never did try to make them, I really should put it on my to do list this year. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie, I'll be pinning these.
Debbie :)

Gail Dixon said...

Lace always reminds me of my mother. She had lace curtains and lace doilies on all the furniture. These ornaments are so sweet and pretty. You have a gift with your crafts.

Vee said...

Oh you've been busy! All very cute. My mother and I used to do the craft fairs and your crafting reminds me of that.

No, I don't recall wearing lace as a kid; however, oddly enough, my mother made me a dress the first year I was married with a lace collar...acckkkk...itchy!

Maryann said...

I love the idea of using these on Christmas packages. Pretty and they don't look that hard to make...a plus!

Hope said...

These are really pretty, Stephanie, and I love the way you displayed them on the red-dotted snowflake paper.

By the way...I love your Christmas blog look.

:)Hope

kitty said...

I love your Christmas header, Stephanie. The lacy ornaments are so beautiful and remind me of snowflakes. Love them! xo

Debbie Harris said...

As you know I do love these pretty lace ornaments!
I am excited to get my Christmas tree up in the master bedroom so I can fill it with all the ones you made for me. It is going to look beautiful!

I never ealized that you were so "itchy" sitting on the church pews. :) If I had it to do all over again, I would still put you in lace. :) haha

Have a wonderful day in all this beautiful snow!

Love you, mom

Merlesworld said...

I to like the look of lace but not wearing it.
Merle..............

Karen said...

I love these, Stephanie. Yes, my mother put me in lacy dresses and underpants and stiff crinoline petticoats. Itchy and ouchy!

Amy said...

Hello Stephanie!

I just must say.. I love your holiday background. So Vintage looking.

Yes, I had to wear those frilly, lacey dresses too and I never liked them either. And, I still don't. I like soft materials and nothing tight or uncomfortable on! Life's too short for non-comfy clothing! :)

I love those ornaments. So lady like. Hmm, now should I attempt to make these? I don't know if my boys would approve of the lace. HA HA!

I hope you are doing well. Are you moved into your new home yet?

Blessings to you,
Amy

Teri said...

Oh, Stephanie ... I love your lace ornaments ... so, so pretty! Blessings ♥ Teri

Jeanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanna said...



These are simply adorable Stephanie. You write super tutorials that are so easy to follow and your photos are dreamy!

My mom put me in dresses with lace and HUGE collars. Ugh...but she meant well :)

Kathie Roady said...

How pretty! I would love these all year long!

Stacy @ Sweethearts + Sweet Tarts said...

Not only are they really pretty, your tutorial was well done! Merry Christmas, Stephanie!

Maria said...

Very beautiful lace ornaments! I think they would also look very lovely on a card or tag for a gift! Thank you for the tutorial and the inspiration! Take care, hugs!

SarahGeorge said...

Oh, How lovely Stephanie!! I just love those pretty lace ornaments and the tutorial too! It was nice reading your little girly story :) And, yes I too love laces :)

Anne Payne said...

I have made these ornaments so many times! My mom loved lace and first introduced me to these back in 1983 :)
As for uncomfortable lacy dresses...I wore them to church when I was little, and probably a few times as an adult. Thankfully, I have discovered that I don't need to dress uncomfortable to look nice ;)

Conniecrafter said...

They are lovely, I could see these in pink too, they would look lovely on a Victorian tree!!!

Melinda Ruth said...

I've loved seeing your beautiful creativity on the blog this week! You're homemade ornaments are absolutely gorgeous.

I hope you're doing well and enjoying the beginning of the Christmas season! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...