Thursday, December 05, 2013

Yo-Yo Christmas Tree & Glitter Snowmen Ornaments

These are some of my favorite ornaments that I have made.
They are fun, cute, and easy :)
Ready to make some for your Christmas tree?


For the yo-yo tree you will need:

fabric
small wooden spool
small bell
lace
sewing needle 
thread
scissors
hot glue gun and glue

Okey dokey, lets get started on the tree.

You will need to cut out 5 different sized circles from the fabric.
Sizes listed below starting from the biggest:
4 inch circle
3.5 inch circle
2 3/4 inch circle
2 1/4 inch circle
1 3/4 inch circle


Sew a running stitch along the edge of each circle
and gather into a yo-yo.
Normally I would fold the edge over when making yo-yo's,
but since I am stacking them together I didn't worry about the folding part :)


Pull ribbon or yarn through the smallest yo-yo
and add a bell to the top.
Then hot glue each yo-yo together.


Apply a small strip of lace to the wooden spool and add the yo-yo tree to it.


And here is the yo-yo tree.


Now onto the matching snowmen.

You will need: 
3 different sized (small) styrofoam glitter balls
small twigs
wooden spools
lace
small bells
pins
sequins
embroidery thread
hot glue gun and glue


Hot glue the glitter balls together and add the small strip of lace to the wooden spool
then hot glue the snowman onto the spool.
Using pins, push them into the sequins on the snowmen.


Use different colored pins for the eyes and nose.
If the pins are too long than trim the end off with needle-nose pliers.


Tie ribbon or yarn to the bell and
hot glue the bell onto the head.
Then wrap embroidery thread around the neck for a scarf.

And to finish it off push into the middle ball two small twigs for the arms.


And there is a cute snowman :)



Click on the links below to view the other ornaments
and stop by tomorrow to see a new handmade ornament.

1. Sweet Cupcake Ornaments
2. Twig Frame Ornament
3. Lovely Lace Ornaments 

Much love!

Linking up with:
Create, Link, Inspire

16 comments:

Hope said...

Good Morning Stephanie,

How cute! Not only are your ornaments adorable, but also your background work area is just so pretty! How do you have so many interesting surfaces?

Hope things are going well!
:) Hope

Gail Dixon said...

Once again, a clever craft idea. Neat-O!! :)

Sylvia said...

Really Cute! Hope you are staying warm on these COLD days!

Anne Payne said...

Those are too cute!!! I have a box of wooden spools around here somewhere that I could use for this craft. Now where did I put them?

Debbie Harris said...

I just love that tree!!! And you know it. :)
Both are just precious.
Your tutorials make it look so easy. You have a way of really explaining how to do the job. Excellent!

I have enjoyed this week of ornaments.

I trust you are having a wonderful day!

Much love

Trish said...

Oh, I love the tree!! I love ALL your pretty ornaments..the cupcake is darling! What fun it must be to have your creative mind..you come up with such wonderful ideas!
love..Trish xx

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, I love these ornaments that you are making! I really love the yo yo christmas tree ornament!
Julie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the yo yo tree and you could use all kinds of fabric to make several! Great ideas...easy enough for me to make! (I hope! heehee) Hugs!

camp and cottage living said...

Cute and easy, it doesn't get any better than that for ornament making!
Do you end up with glitter all over the place, like me?

Patty from Lemon Lane said...

What a cute series you have going. I love anything on vintage spools.

Stacy @ Sweethearts + Sweet Tarts said...

I have no idea what a running stitch is but that tree is cute, cute, cute!! The snowmen are so sweet. I am sure you could glitter your own styrofoam balls, in all sorts of colors too! Very cute idea!!

Imogen said...

Wow that's so gorgeous and I am very impressed. Beautiful decorations.

Red Rose Alley said...

Stepanie,
I've been browsing through your craft projects, and these are just adorable. I love the silver and the glitter. My sister would like these too, as she sews, knits, and crochets. How very talented you are, my friend.

Love,
~Sheri

Kelly_Deal said...

How cute Stephanie! Thanks for sharing your tutorials!

kitty said...

Oh my, more cute ideas, and I love the ice cream cone that you just posted! Your tree will look so pretty all decorated in your new home. xo

Debbie Borthwick said...

These are adorable, Stephanie! You are so creative with crafting, coming up with the cutest ideas.
Debbie :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...