Tuesday, February 18, 2014

DIY - Wall Hanging Organizer

"When you arise in the morning,
think of what a precious privilege it is
to be alive, 
to breath, 
to think, 
to enjoy, 
to love."
~ Marcus Aurelius ~

Happy Tuesday to you, lovelies!
I wanted to share with you this organizer I made from an old mirror...minus the mirror :)
Once it was finished I placed it above my cutting table in my craft room
and it holds several items that I constantly use when I am crafting.


I had a mirror from when I was a teenager that I no longer use
and it was just taking up space in my closet
so my handy dandy husband took the mirror out
and voila! 
The perfect frame for an organizer.


I used fabric that I had purchased from a sweet friend, Donna.
Donna's Lavender Nest is the name of her shop where she sells charming fabric.
She also has a delightful blog and I'm sure a visit from you would put a smile on her face :)
She is quite the inspiration!
I will be showing more of what I made with her fabric on Thursday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I measured out the fabric to fit the frame
and then I cut out two pockets to attach to the fabric.


I folded over the edges then sewed along the top side.
Then I pinned the pocket into place and sewed onto the fabric.


One little pocket for pens, pliers, hole punch, etc.


And another pocket for hot glue sticks.


I also made a pin cushion for the organizer 
by cutting out a strip of fabric, folding over the edges, and attaching it to the background fabric.
I left one end open and filled with batting
then sewed it closed.



I use a lot of magnets when crafting so I took an old Mason jar lid
and glued the flat metal piece onto the lid.
I hot glued a piece of felt to the back and then hot glued it onto the fabric.

I added lace and a flower for an extra POP!


I attached the large piece of fabric to the back of the frame with hot glue
and I pulled it tightly while gluing it so that there were no wrinkle or gaps.

I also applied a strip of lace to hold hair clips and paper clips.



Two wooden spools were glued down to each corner for holding knick-knacks.



You have to have pretty knick-knacks, right :)


There is also a lace doily, paper medallions with buttons, rick-rack, 
and pins for extra sweetness :)


Last but not least, I also made a matching banner
by cutting out triangles of fabric.
I applied stiff interfacing to the back of the fabric
and then sewed the triangles onto a long strip of lace.
There is a crocheted flower on each triangle at the bottom.


Come back and visit on Thursday to see the first room in the new home 
and more of this darling fabric.
Many hugs to you, friends!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing with:

46 comments:

silverfeather said...

What a cute project and very creative! This room must be fun to work in!

kitty said...

Now if that isn't the cutest project, my friend!! I LOVE your organizer for your craft room and the fabrics that you chose. It's adorable!!! xo

Weekend-Windup (John Paul) said...

Looks great, very creative. Appreciate your efforts...

Julie Corbisiero said...

I love how creative you are Stephanie and everything you make! This organizer is so pretty and I love the banner. You are lucky to have your own craft room too! Happy crafting and have a nice day.
Julie

Sarah Covey said...

That is super cute! Love the designs :)

Blackberry Lane said...

Darling fabric and a great, handy idea!

harleygirl said...

That is so cute, and I love the fabric! :)

Mary said...

Oh! That is so sweet. Another pretty project,

magnoliasntea said...

How adorable! Love the pretty organizer. Beautiful.

Denise said...

Such cute crafts.

camp and cottage living said...

Stephanie
This is truly adorable!
I can't wait to see the whole room on Thursday...

Sarah said...

What a charming idea! It is certainly a lovely way to organize supplies.

-Sarah

lynn said...

I love this! Good job!

White Lace and Promises said...

How precious! Just love the banner too! I wish I had your craftiness. So creative

Robyn said...

Oh my goodness, that it so cute, Stephanie! I love your attention to detail and you have such an eye for matching up the colours and fabrics. It's perfect!
Hugs - have a great day, my friend.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a cute wall hanging organizer, Stephanie. I bet it comes in handy when you do your craft projects. Donna has been a blog friend for years, and is such a delightful person. The little tea pot hanging from your board is so sweet.

Have a beautiful week, Stephanie.

Love,
~Sheri

Simply Linda said...

Very very pretty. I wish I could have a room like that. Blessings

Sylvia said...

How nest and pretty,Stephanie. You will get lots of use out of it.

Marilyn said...

This is so much cuter than my plain pegboard. When it isn't so windy outside I should take it out and spray it a pretty color. You did such a nice job of keeping things organized!♥♫

Jazzmin said...

This might be my favorite project you have ever shared!! I love every sweet detail and the beautiful, vintage feel of loveliness in the fabric, lace, and touches you added. This is such a wonderful idea and looks so pretty up on your wall- especially with the matching decor above!!

I so love seeing all your wonderful projects. And how special that you got to use a mirror that you had in your teenage years :) It's always more special to make something new out of something you've had with you.

Blessings and hugs, sweet friend!
~Jazzmin

Angela said...

I love this!!! and the fabric choice.....lovely!

blessings~~angela
btw...im super bummed that you have not yet received the package I sent :(

NanaDiana said...

That is really, really, really cute, Stephanie! I love it and what a fun organizer! xo Diana

Wanda said...

What a delightful organizer.

I love all the details, lace, rick rack..etc.

What a masterpiece, and the banner too. Perfect touch.

Gail Dixon said...

Stephanie, you are so creative! How many times have I said that? Sorry, but it's true. A bright and happy way to organize those little things.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Very cute, and such cheerful fabric! I will have to check out your friend's blog. My daughter has that quote framed on her nightstand. It's by Marcus Aurelius. One of her favorite quotes. I'm a new visitor to your blog, and will be sure to be back.

lynn said...

Deborah isn't this just the best blog you have ever seen? I am new to it and just love what she writes about.

Debbie Harris said...

Oh my Stephanie, I love this! What a terrific idea to have for your craft room, and its fun. I love all your choices of material lace and rick rack. Cute, cute, cute!
Amazing as always :-)
Bless you!

SarahGeorge said...

Yes, it's sure a darling fabric! Such a cute project you've made Stephanie and I love the adding of a lace and a sweet red flower :). I'm sure your craft room is brightened up with this project of yours. Have a lovely day :)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Stephanie that is adorable! I love all of the little embelishments and the matching banner! I could so use this in my craft room. I could probably even sew that straight line for the little pocket. Thanks for this lovely bit of inspiration!

Julie Marie said...

That is adorable Stephanie!... I love the cute little teapot hanging from it!... xoxo Julie Marie

Sola Scriptura said...

What a great idea! You make so many lovely things! I was thinking this would be great for a craft room. Hugs to you, Stephanie.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow now I will have to say that is quite the creative organizer if I ever saw one. Such pretty fabrics and creative pockets and items to use for organizing your things, the banner looks just great with it!!

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! Your constant use of your gifts is so inspiring my friend. Here you are, repurposing and making your room a useful, beautiful place to work.

Thank you for sharing your varied treasures of talent with all of us :)
Ceil

Anne Payne said...

Just when I think you have made the cutest project ever, you come up with another one! I do love this. Too much work for me but I am pinning it anyway and tagging my daughter ;)

Beatrice Euphemie said...

This is so charming, Stephanie! You are so creative - love the sweet fabrics and all the special touches. Very sweet. xo A hug - Karen

Celestina Marie Design said...

Hi Stephanie, what a wonderful design and project. You are so talented. Love the fabrics. So cheerful and uplifting.
Thank you for sharing the inspiration.
Hugs

Rose said...

Stephanie, I love all of it! Will you be making more for your etsy shop? The colors and style look very shabby chic to me (which I love!)

Debbie Borthwick said...

I love your board!! It is so cute, and very functional, too. What a great idea, Stephanie! I'm pinning, adorable.
Debbie :)

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie ... such a sweet organizer! It is so pretty! I am looking forward to a peek into your new home! Hugs ♥ Teri

living from glory to glory said...

Very smart Hubby and I love the idea up up-cycling...
Just so cute!
Blessings, Roxy

Ida said...

How cute and charming. Loving the cherry fabric. I have so little wall space in my craft room (taken up by cabinets) so this probably would work for me but I think it's a really creative project.

Desarae said...

Just. So. Cute!! This organization board is adorable, Stephanie! The colors and patterned fabric blend and compliment each other so well. Not to mention all of the little details that bring it all together! That bunting is sweet as well!

Maria said...

Your craft room is so bright and cheery! Love all the sweet patterned fabric and the gorgeous quilts! I can see why you would have lot of fun creating in this wonderful craft room! Take care, hugs!

Kate M said...

Love your organizer - you really are so innovative, and your banner is beautiful - fabulous fabrics!
xx

Jann Olson said...

Stephanie, this is absolutely darling! I love cherry themed fabric and have used a couple of these in quilts. I have an old mirror not being used as well. Going to see if I have a place to put one of these sweet things. Thanks for sharing with SYC. I will be featuring you this week.
hugs,
Jann

Suzan Sweatman said...

This is just the cutest project ever !
Pinning ( thanks for sharing ! )
xox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...