Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Homemade Butterscotch Pie

Many of you know I have a sweet tooth....more like sweet teeth!
And if you have followed my blog for a while you probably noticed I share mostly dessert recipes :)
I am of the opinion that at mealtime we should eat what we like first 
and for me that would be dessert - haha :)
Okay, no I don't actually eat dessert first (though I want to) 
and I do try to limit how many sweets I eat...TRY being the key word :)

Anyway, I made a butterscotch cream pie last week and thought it to be quite tasty
so I figured you fellow sweet tooth friends would like to try the recipe sometime.


Ingredients needed:

2 cups milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 - 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bake pie crust in preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes, or until light brown and crisp.
Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and salt; set aside.
In the top of a double broiler over medium heat, scald the milk while stirring with a whisk.
Slowly whisk in the flour mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly until thickened; remove from heat.
Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
Stir in 1/3 of the milk mixture to temper the yolks,
then pour the yolk mixture back into the pan.
Return to the stove and cook, stirring constantly until thick.
Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
Pour into baked pie crust.

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar,
confectioners' sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
Spread meringue over pie, covering completely.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 - 15 minutes, 
or until meringue is golden brown in spots.


Place a slice on a pretty crystal plate, 
pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee
and sit down to enjoy.


Thinking of you, dear friends!
If I have not been by your blog in a few days it's because I have been somewhat busy,
but I will catch up with you soon!

Much love to you!

Sharing with:

Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

25 comments:

Mindy Whipple said...

Yum! My husband loves butterscotch and I love most anything sweet. I am with you, I TRY to limit it but it is so hard...

Also Stephanie I was wondering if you had an e-mail contact. I couldn't find one on your blog but may be missing it. I am actually wondering if I can get your mailing address and wanted to e-mail you the request. I have something small I would like to send to you that I think you would enjoy. Thanks much!

Denise said...

Yummy in my tummy.

Billie Jo said...

I share your love of baking and of sweets, my friend!
And I love that you share your recipes here with us in such a beautiful way.
Hope your week is going well. : )

Blackberry Lane said...

What a delicious looking pie! Thanks for the recipe and the beautiful photos. Have a good night.

Merlesworld said...

This looks so good.
Merle............

Christy said...

That pie looks delicious! Butterscotch is one of my favorites. I actually requested a butterscotch pie for my birthday a few years ago. I think I will be making this real soon.

Vicky Hunt said...

One word...yummy! I have sweet teeth too Stephanie! And...I love butterscotch. I am pinning this one.

Hugs, Vicky

Simply Linda said...

Yummy!! Thanks for sharing. Yes, we all have "sweet teeth" here too. Blessings

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Stephanie, I also love any kind of pie. I think I love cream pies the best with whipped cream topping. Save me a slice, or you could just mail me one!
Blessings, Roxy

Debbie Harris said...

Had you baked this just today I would have come right over for a slice with a cup of tea (in my favorite tea cup of course) What a beautiful looking pie! You know, grandma Betty was known for her butterscotch pie. She would have been very pleased with this one.
I'm with Roxy,I love the cream pies :-)
Have a wonderful evening.
Much love, Mom

Mindy Whipple said...

You can e-mail me at adandeliondiary@centurytel.net.

SarahGeorge said...

I love butterscotch ice cream :). Your pie looks delicious! and beautiful too. You're doing a great work
Hugs :)
Sarah

Miss Val's Creations said...

This pie looks amazing Stephanie! The meringue came out perfect!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Okay, my dear . . . you make the meringue part of the pie look so very easy. Lemon meringue is my husband's favorite and my meringue has never looked like yours. Oh how nice it would be if you lived nearby, I'd order his pies from you. I will attempt it on my own and let you know if I have better success. Thanks my friend. ~ Abby

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that does sound heavenly but I am on a diet, counting my calorie intake so I will have to avoid this, so far God has been giving me the strength to stick to this, I am in major need of losing weight.

Desarae said...

I have a sweet tooth too, Stephanie! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

By the way, I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for The Sunshine Blog Award! You can read about it in this post here: http://gladness-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-dos-of-sunshine-blog-awards.html

I would love for you to participate! :)

Ida said...

Oh my gosh that looks super yummy. I have sweet "teeth" myself (and it shows). Is the filling like a custard? It sounds wonderful and that meringue looked beautiful.

Debbie Harris said...

I stopped by to have a piece of pie with my lunch,oooh sooo good!
It really is too pretty to eat. :-)
Bless you!

Gail Dixon said...

I'm glad I am looking at this on a full stomach. Yum yum YUM!

kitty said...

Your Mom is so lucky to be able to stop by and have a slice of your delectable pie! You must know that I have a sweet tooth, too, sweet friend. I, too, limit myself, but do love my sweets. Butterscotch sounds heavenly and I must make this soon! xo

Jazzmin said...

Oh, this looks beyond delicious!! What a beautiful pie! It looks like something you'd see on the cover of a food magazine... I like to buy Southern Lady magazine and they usually have a photograph of some scrumptious dessert. This looks like it should be on the cover! It is too pretty to eat, but I don't think I'd be able to resist anyway. Hope you enjoyed your lovely pie, my friend :)

I hope you have a wonderful day!
Huge hugs and blessings,
Jazzmin

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh butterscotch pie!! Yummm! I haven't had that in years. A local restaurant made it as their specialty in a town I once lived in and I had forgotten about it. Now I can make my own. Thank you Stephanie!

Laura Lane said...

I've always wanted to try butterscotch pie. I'll pin it for later.
Blessings,
Laura

Donna @ Soul Survival said...

Stephanie, this made me think of my dad who went to be with the Lord many years ago. But he loved butterscotch pies and puddings ... along with chocolate cake. Come to think of it, he had a sweet tooth, too! Thanks for sharing. It's looks delicious! I'm visiting today from Strangers & Pilgrims. Have a great week!

JES said...

Wow Stephanie, you sure know how to make a beautiful pie! I am drooling over here :) Thank you for taking the time to link up with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...