Sunday, March 23, 2014

I'd Rather Have Jesus

"I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold, 
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land,
I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hand:

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause,
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I'd rather be true to His holy name:

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom,
He's sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs -
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead:

Refrain
Than to be the king of a vast domain 
Or be held in sin's dread sway!
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today."
~ Mrs. Rhea F. Miller ~


"The power that this song has had in influencing and changing lives for God
will be fully evaluated only in eternity.
There are countless testimonies by individuals whose lives have been changed 
by the singing of this one hymn:

A thousand grim marines sat on a South Pacific Island, during the days of World War II,
listening to a gospel message punctuated with gunfire in the distance.
When the chaplain sat down, a marine stood to his feet to sing the closing hymn.
As the shell-scarred palms swayed nearby, more than half of that company came forward
to profess faith in Christ as their Savior.
The marine soloist, a former opera singer, had just concluded
"I'd Rather Have Jesus . . ."'
~ 101 More Hymn Stories - Kenneth W. Osbeck ~


"For me to live is Christ,
and to die is gain."
~ Philippians 1:21 ~

Have a blessed Lord's Day!

28 comments:

Simply Linda said...

This is one of my favorite hymns. Thank you for sharing..My other favorite is Victory in Jesus. Blessings to you and your family.

silverfeather said...

I will always love how George Beverly Shea sang this~ such a powerful voice! One of my all time favorites...thanks for sharing this one Stephanie!

Sola Scriptura said...

Beautiful!

Denise said...

I've been singing that song since I was old enough to sing.We must go to the same type of Church because all the songs You feature,I've been singing My whole life.It's fun to find others with the same backround that also blog.Your gorgeous roses look like they belong to a Bride.I love Your precious crafts too-beautiful. Hugs Your way this morning-Denise

Debbie Harris said...

That is such a heart felt, challenging hymn for a believer desiring to have nothing but Jesus.
Those beautiful roses practically leaped off the page! Absolutely, stunning! I agree with Denise, they look like they belong to a bride.
Thank you for another wonderful Sunday post. You have put a song in my heart. :-)
I love you, Mom

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful, my sweet friend.
I hope this Lord's Day finds you happy, healthy, and cozy! : )

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a lovely hymn with a sweet, loving message, Stephanie. I love the image of the soldiers singing this, too. Your roses are just beautiful. A blessed Lord's day to you, Dear. Hugs xo Karen

Mindy Whipple said...

I've always loved this hymn and the story you share at the end just brings tears.

NanaDiana said...

That is beautiful-pictures and verse. xo Diana

Gina said...

Stephanie, I love the simple words to this hymn. (and the melody too!) This song reminded me of when the children were little and we sang this together in church.

Nina said...

Such a blessing to have His peace and to know, that whatever tomorrow brings, I can step safely, holding God's hand...
Thank you for the beautiful note and the tea bag, Stephanie - such a lovely surprise with the tea cup party! I received the sweetest cup and two gorgeous cards, and Lemon tea from my tea party friend :)
Thank you for making this possible!

Anne Payne said...

Lovely words and gorgeous images! Yellow Roses are my favorite color :)

Wanda said...

Wonderful story, and great hymn. I too always think of George Beverly Shea, and all the Billy Graham crusades.

You are so right, many thousands have heard God's calling to them in this song.

BTW yellow roses...yes!

Marilyn said...

Now you know I'll want to be playing this in church soon! Great song! We're so lucky that we musicians are allowed to select out own songs!♥♫

Sandra said...

A beautiful hymn, a favourite of mine too. The words and the hymn's story are both very touching.

Maggie Ann said...

O that is so precious!

JES said...

Simply beautiful!

Denise said...

Another beautiful post, by a beautiful lady.

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie ... simply beautiful my sweet friend! Blessings ♥ Teri

pinks said...

absolutely beautiful post :) thank you for sharing :)

Laura Lane said...

I started to skim through the lines of this hymn as I have others so many times before. I stopped.

I sang the entire hymn.

Then I read the story aloud to my fourteen year old son.

He said, "It's cool."

I feel refreshed.
Thank you so much for sharing this Stephanie.

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

White Lace and Promises said...

Beautiful post! I love that hymn. It moves me and stirs my heart to take a look at "my rathers" and make sure that there is nothing that I'd rather have than Jesus. He is all I need!

Conniecrafter said...

it is so wonderful to know that even in the despair of war, that we take the time to realize that we can't do any of this, good or bad without our Lord by our side.. have a great week!

donna said...

So Beautiful.
Hugs
donna

Maria said...

Beautiful hymn and lovely photo! Have a wonderful week...blessings to you...hugs!

Brenda said...

Hi Stephanie,
I have never come across this hymn, but I say 'Amen' to these beautiful words.
God bless

SarahGeorge said...

Oh, so precious words, dear Stephanie. I'd rather have Jesus!
Thanks for sharing sweet friend :)

Charlotte Wilson said...

I never heard this hymn before. Thanks for sharing the beautiful words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...