Thursday, March 06, 2014

If I had Lunch With C.S. Lewis - Book Review

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED
- whether God exists?
- whether life has meaning?
- whether suffering and pain have a purpose?

This book is my invitation to sit down with C.S. Lewis 
and me to think about some of the persistent questions 
and dilemmas every person faces in life.
We'll explore Lewis's thoughts on everything from friendships to heaven,
from the reasons for faith to the power of stories.
Lewis is one of a small group of people who both learned from life's challenges
and were able to pass on his wisdom elegantly and effectively.
So why not see Lewis as a mentor and coach?
( From the back cover of the book )


My Thoughts

The title of the book is
'If I Had Lunch with C.S. Lewis,'
but it should be
'If I Had a Day with C.S. Lewis'
because I could not put the book down and ended up reading long into the night.
Dr. Allister McGrath brings C.S. Lewis to life in this book and causes the reader
like there are there experiencing life right alongside him while being gently taught by him.
This book is one you will want to savor, to make notes in and to highlight certain parts.

The whole book was a pleasure to read, but there were certain parts that stood out for me.
The chapter on friendship was probably my favorite 
and made me look at friendships a little differently.
The author, Dr. Allister McGrath, brings to light that we live in a world 
that often trivializes the nature of friendship.
He then goes on to share what C.S. Lewis has to say about friendships 
and how they should function.
Lewis studied what others had to say about friendship...

"For Aristotle, friendship is about bringing out what is best in people.
The best friends share a common vision of what is good and important, 
and help each other achieve goodness.
Friends "enlarge and extend each other's moral experience" by providing
"a mirror in which the other may see himself."
It is not a casual matter,
but something deep, enabling each other to become - and remain - good people." -pg. 32

Lewis writes about it in his book, 'The Four Loves.'

C.S.Lewis claimed to be an Atheist, but he begins to realize there is more in life.
"He was locked into a way of seeing things 
that prevented him from appreciating their true significance.
Lewis began to trust his intuitions and explore where they led him.
There was, he realized, a "Big Picture" that made sense of life.
It was called Christianity." -pg 15

'If I Had Lunch with C.S. Lewis' covers the meaning of life, friendship, 
the Chronicles of Narnia, the art of apologetics, education, the problem of pain, 
and hope and heaven.
You will learn and be taught from this amazing book - a definite must-read!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

31 comments:

Denise said...

Really nice review.

camp and cottage living said...

I have a few CS Lewis books.
This sounds like a book I would appreciate. thanks for the review.

Debbie Harris said...

Excellent review! I really must read this book. Just by your review I can think of a dear one that I would love to get this book for.
Bless you!

Terra said...

I wrote down this title so I remember to buy it. I tell everyone who will listen that C.S. Lewis is my Christian mentor. Love the man, his wise words and the example of his life. He gave away all the royalties from his books to people in need, very quietly, and lived on his modest professor's salary, as one example.

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

C. S. Lewis is one of my all-time favorites.

Sola Scriptura said...

I will have to buy a copy of this book!!!! It sounds sooo good!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Interesting.

I love C.S. Lewis. I really like his oration the Inner Ring, and I've read that with my daughter a couple of times. I like his understanding of friendship.

Desarae said...

C.S. Lewis is an incredible writer, and probably my favorite. I have read and own several of his books. This sounds like a great little nugget compiling his wisdom on various subjects into one handy little book. I will have to look into this. :) You might really enjoy reading his book Mere Christianity, if you haven't already, as well as his book Miracles. Have a great day!

Simply Linda said...

Thank you..the next time I am at the library I will look for it. Blessings

donna said...

What a great review. Sounds like a great book.
Hugs
donna

NanaDiana said...

I think I need to read this book. I loved the excerpt on friendship! Great review- xo Diana

Jazzmin said...

I can see why you stayed up late reading and loving this book! It sounds amazing! C.S. Lewis' wisdom and quotes about God and faith and life and so much more are some of the most inspiring I have ever read, so I think I would really love this book.

Such a joy to read your review, dear friend!

Have a blessed evening!
Happy almost Friday :)

Love and hugs,
Jazzmin

Lady Linda said...

Oh I have to read this one. Thanks for your honest review and recommendation.
Hugs,
Linda

linda said...

I had to create a new blog and hope you will add me as a friend at:
http://lindaeller3.blogspot.com/

Thank you...Linda

kitty said...

This sounds like a book that I would thoroughly enjoy. Thank you for giving us your thoughts and review on it, Stephanie. xo

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! Great review, and the fact that you couldn't put it down is a great compliment to the writer. I have enjoyed some of CS Lewis' books, so this might be a great read for me.

Happy Friday :)
Ceil

Conniecrafter said...

Sounds interesting, I will have to check it out :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds like an interesting read. I didn't realize C.S. Lewis was an atheist at one time. I grew up with a dad who is an atheist and a mom who goes to church every Sunday. This made for some entertaining arguments in the house growing up! They are still married today with the same opposite beliefs. :)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Now why am I not surprised that your favorite chapter was on friendships? This sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Ida said...

Writing this one down to check out. Sounds fascinating.

Mindy Whipple said...

Oh I love books that are so good they are hard to put down! Happy weekend Stephanie!

Delvalina said...

Thank you for introducing this lovely book. It's such a beautiful thought of you. A day would be better.

Love you sister.

Oh I love your page design.
Blessing!
Eva

Vee said...

Sounds very intriguing and especially so for anyone who loves C.S. Lewis.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Love CS Lewis. He is one you can re-read and learn more each time. I have a number of his books on my shelf. thank you for the review, and the excerpt on friendship.

Stacy @ Sweethearts + Sweet Tarts said...

What an interesting book ~ I'll have to put it on my reading list.

Gina said...

Stephanie, CS Lewis is a favorite author of mine. That book does look like a lovely read. Thank you for recommending it to us! ((hugs))

tinttarus said...

Interesting. I wonder if this book has been translated to finnish....my english is not so good...but everything you told about this book, made me think, i want to read it!

Blessing to you!
The sun is shining here after rain. It makes me think about the spring....

Cranberry Morning said...

I can tell this is a book I would love. After reading it, it would sit on my shelf among my Lewis, Chesterton, Schaeffer, Sproul, and Wright books!

Jen Ham said...

This is now on my "To Read" list! Thanks Steph! xo Jen

Melanie said...

You have made me want to read this book. I have always liked his work. Screwtape Letters is a favorite. Thank you for sharing this, I look forward to reading this one!

Laura Lane said...

I really like the way you wrote this review. I will keep an eye out for this book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...