Sunday, March 02, 2014

Sweet Prayer

"O Thou, by whom we come to God, the life, the truth, the way
The path of prayer Thyself has trod, Lord, teach us how to pray."
~ James Montgomery ~


The Void Between Intent and Performance

"We sing 'Sweet Hour of Prayer' -
and content ourselves with a few minutes of prayer each day,
if even that much.
We sing 'Onward Christian Soldiers'-
and wait to be pushed into the Lord's service.
We sing 'O For a Thousand Tongues'-
without rightly using the tongue we have.
We sing 'Blest Be the Ties that Binds'-
and let the least little offense sever it.
We sing 'Serve the Lord With Gladness'-
and gripe about all we have to do.
We sing 'I Love to Tell the Story'-
and never mention it all year to our friends and associates.
We sing 'Cast Thy Burden on the Lord'-
and worry ourselves into nervous breakdowns.
We sing 'The Whole Wide World for Jesus'-
and never invite our next-door neighbor to church.
We sing 'Throw Out the Life Line'-
and content ourselves with throwing out a fishing line on Sunday."
~ Unknown ~


"Prayer is my chief work,
and it is by means of it that I carry on the rest."
~ Thomas Hooker ~

"If you want that splendid power in prayer, 
you must remain in loving, living, lasting, conscious, practical, abiding union
with the Lord Jesus Christ."
~ C.H. Spurgeon ~


"There is no sweeter time than this, the hour we spend with Jesus;
To taste with Him, eternal bliss, the hour we spend with Jesus."
~ Unknown ~


Sweet Hour of Prayer
by
William W. Walford 

"Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, that calls me from a world of care
And bids me at my Father's throne make all my wants and wishes known!
In seasons of distress and grief my soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter's snare by thy return, sweet hour of prayer.

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness engage the waiting soul to bless;
And since He bids me seek His face, believe His Word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care, and wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, may I thy consolation share,
Till from Mount Pisgah's lofty height I view my home and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I'll drop, and rise to seize the everlasting prize,
And shout, while passing thru the air, "Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!"


"Prayer will make a man cease from sin,
or sin will entice a man to cease from prayer."
~ John Bunyon ~

Preserving Prayer
"I look at a stone cutter hammering away at a rock a hundred times
without so much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the 101st blow it splits in two.
I know it was not the one blow that did it,
but all that had gone before."
~ Unknown ~


"We have to pray with our eyes on God,
not on the difficulties."
~ Oswald Chambers ~

"Four things let us ever keep in mind:
God hears prayer,
God heeds prayer,
God answers prayer,
God delivers by prayer."
~ E.M. Bounds ~


"...True prayer is measured by weight, not by length.
A single groan before God may have more fullness of prayer in it
than a fine oration of great length."
~ C.H. Spurgeon ~

Have a blessed Lord's Day, sweet friends!

25 comments:

Simply Linda said...

Oh how lovely & beautiful. Thank you dear sweet friend. Blessings

Billie Jo said...

Lovely, my friend!

Debbie Harris said...

Good Morning!
What a tremendous post today.
"The void between intent and performance" by someone unknown was beautifully written, yet challenging to the heart. I am going to print that one out and read it often as a reminder to honor my precious Savior in every aspect of my life. My hearts desire is to love Him more every day.
Stephanie, your Sunday post are a delight to my soul. I look forward with anticipation through out the week of what is yet to come to bless, encourage, and challenge my heart. Thank you!!
I love you! Mom

Marilyn said...

I always find inspiration from the hymns you include in your post. Sometimes they are ones that I play the next week in church because the messages are worth hearing over and over again. Perhaps then there will be action on our parts to share His great love.♥♫

vicki said...

Beautiful words
Vic x

LV said...

Wonderful and inspiring post. Well done.

Sandra said...

I especially enjoyed "The Void Between Intent and Performance". It's true...we can easily speak "Christian" but we need to learn to live it. Thank you for the reminder to live our faith and to keep prayer as the centre of our days.

Brenda said...

How beautiful Stephanie.
Every word and every picture in this post is absolutely lovely and true.
God bless you for sharing it.

Mindy Whipple said...

I love when my day is filled with the conversation of prayer off and on. I suspect God loves it too...Thanks for the verses and words.

Patty Sumner said...

Oh Stephanie the pictures are just beautiful... I love the open Bible with the flowers... All the sayings. sciptures and songs are just powerful. Today's sermon at church was on Prayer...unceasing Prayer... It is the fire that ignites everything else in our life as believers...Thank you so much for being unafraid to share your faith and the Word boldly! Blessings!

Sola Scriptura said...

Beautiful post!

Blackberry Lane said...

Such a lovely post. God bless.

Jen Ham said...

So beautiful and inspiring! xoxo Jen

living from glory to glory said...

Dear, Sweet hour of prayer is where we hear Him and feel His Presence!
I love His word, TIS better than life... May Spring come soon!
Love, Roxy

Melanie said...

Good morning Stephanie, thank you for sharing this with us! Wishing you a lovely Monday!

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! The prayer of the gap between prayer and performance was so good. It's so true!

May God give me the grace to increase my faith and joy. I loved that :)
Ceil

Conniecrafter said...

Great post, especially the The Void Between Intent and Performance one, I will have to say that I need to work on a couple of those areas, that is a good reminder.
May you have a blessed week ahead!

Denise said...

Really liked this post.

Charlotte Wilson said...

Good morning to you! This is such a beautiful post and with gorgeous photos. This brightens this rainy Monday for me. Thank you.

Did you ever notice that the Lord's prayer which was given to us by Jesus, does not ask for thanks? It occurred to me recently.

blessings,

charlotte

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Lovely and inspiring - true wisdom. Blessings to you, my Dear. Hugs xo Karen

Debbie Harris said...

I had to come back just to see the beautiful flowers. They really are stunning! You amaze me with you camera :)
Love you!

Rose said...

Stephanie, wow! Very convicting thoughts and verses on prayer. I am going to revisit this post again and again.

Maria said...

Very beautiful and comforting words! Such lovely photos, too, dear Stephanie! Thank you for sharing! Blessings to you, hugs!

Savanah Clark said...

Im terrible about trying to take matters into my own hands instead of praying and letting God take care of it. Thank you for your post! -Savanah

Kate M said...

Beautiful words, beautiful flowers - what is the white one with the green edges? Not seen one like this before,
xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...