Sunday, April 13, 2014

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded

"And when they had plaited a crown of thorns,
they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand;
and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying,
"Hail, King of Jews!"
And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head."
~ Matthew 27:29, 30 ~

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns Thy only crown,
How art Thou pale with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn!
How does that visage languish which once was bright as morn!

What Thou, my Lord, has suffered was all for sinners' gain:
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly .
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! 'Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouch safe to me Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest Friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever! And, should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee!
~ Attributed to Bernard of Clairvaux ~


"Thorns crowned His blessed head,
Blood stained His every tread;
Cross laden, on He sped -
For Me!

Pierced through His hands and feet,
Three hours o'er Him did beat;
Pierce rays of noontide heat -
For Me!

In thought and word and deed,
Thy will to do; oh, lead my feet;
E'en though they bleed -
To Thee!"
~ Bernard of Clairvaux ~

Have a blessed Lord's Day!

18 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Beautiful message today, Stephanie. Easter is almost here-isn't it? xo Diana

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful message this Palm Sunday morning, my dear sweet friend!

Have a blessed and cozy Holy Week. : )

Wanda said...

There is no Season like Easter to remind us of the great sacrifice.

The hymn was done so beautifully. Thanks for touching my heart this morning.

Blessings for a wonderful Holy Week.

Debbie Harris said...

Just beautiful Stephanie! What a blessing to my heart as we near Resurrection Sunday. I love this holiday season for my heart rejoices in the gift of salvation that has been ordered to me through the death, burial and resurrection of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
"The head that once was crowned with thorns is crowned with GLORY now." Amen!
Beautiful Blessings to you.

Debbie Harris said...

Oops! love this"spell check"
Not ordered, but offered.
Oh dear :-)

Sola Scriptura said...

What a beautiful post giving glory to our beautiful Saviour! Have a wonderful week, dear Stephanie.

Anne Payne said...

Lovely hymn, Stephanie! This has been a very blessed Palm Sunday worshiping the Lord in song.

J said...

I noticed the title on this beautiful post this morning, and it gave me pause. I have been rushing about frantically, making sure that Easter Sunday will be a memorable day full of fun for the grandkids, including a lovely family dinner. I've now made efforts to refocus. While Our Lord does want us to enjoy the people he has put in our lives, he does expect honor and recognition for his sacrifice to take the central role. Thank you for changing my direction to the correct path!

Simply Linda said...

Beautiful message today dear friend. Please get to feeling better. Blessings

Denise said...

Bless you for this lovely message.

Norma Ruttan said...

thank you so much for sharing the lovely rendition of this Lenten hymn.

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! You don't see too many people quoting Bernard of Clairveaux, and I really like that saint.

It is an important Sunday today, and you have set the mood for the Holy Week to come. Blessings to you and your family my friend,
Ceil

The Mayo Family said...

Brings tears....
thank you so much!
Blessings to you & yours~
Lori

Conniecrafter said...

We use to sing this song every year in my church growing up, it always was very emotional song for me.
May God bless us as we remember all that he did for us, and celebrate his rising!!

Debby Ray said...

Stephanie...I love the words to this old hymn. The message of the cross...the greatest love story ever told! Thank you for sharing this and have a BEAUTIFUL Holy Week!

Maria said...

Wonderful message, Stephanie! Take care and may you and family have a blessed Easter, hugs!:-)

Seawashed Kerrie said...

I just found your blog and am now following. Happy Eastertide.

pinks said...

I love this post! Even though I'm a little late in reading it! It's a perfect post at this Easter time. A lovely hymn to refocus our eyes on Jesus! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...