Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Upcycled Shabby Apron

Hello sweethearts!
How are you doing on this beautiful day?
I truly hope all is well, dear friends,
and I hope each and every one of you had a lovely Easter.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I am very excited to say that I finally made an apron :)
This is my first ever apron and I don't know why it took me so long to try my hand at one.


It all started when my family I went to my parent's home for supper one night
and I saw my mom wearing an apron that looked like a man's shirt - I was very intrigued.
My mom is not a sewing lady so I was quite curious to find out where she got it.
Well, my sister's mother-in-law made it for her :)

So began my desire to make myself one.
Now I know aprons made out of a man's shirt are nothing new,
but in case you are like me (in the dark) and had never seen one before
then here is a full tutorial on how I made mine.

Basic Items Needed:


man's shirt
scissors
chalk
sewing machine
seam ripper
extra embellishments (optional) such as:
doily
eyelet lace

My darling husband went through his closet and tossed out three shirts
so I kept them to use for this purpose.
I don't know about you, but I love putting on a sweater or shirt of my husband's
just to breathe in his scent and feel close to him. . . . . . 
Anyway, I was quite happy to use one of his shirts for this project.
You can also go to the second-hand shop and find a shirt for cheap :)

Shall we get started?

If the shirt you're using has a pocket you will want to rip it off with a seam ripper
(keep it to sew on elsewhere on the apron).


Using chalk, draw an angled line from the shoulder seam
down to the seam under the arm.


Start at the bottom of the shirt and cut along the seam
and work your way up to the shoulder seam by cutting along the chalk line.
This is what it should look like. . . 


Flip the collar up and cut along the seam.


Here is what you should have. . . 


Making sense so far?
I hope so :)

I attached an old doily to my apron since I have a hard time leaving things "plain." :)
I cut the doily to size and pinned into place.


Then I sewed along the edge to secure it down.


Next, fold over the edges of the shirt
and sew along the edge.
Also, button the shirt up and sew along the middle to keep the shirt from gaping.
Make sure you don't sew all the way up to the top button 
or else you won't be able to get your apron on over your head!
Leave about 2 - 3 buttons open at the top :)


Sew the eyelet lace onto the inside of the shirt along the bottom edge.



If you kept the pocket then now would be the time to sew it onto the apron.
I placed mine on the doily.
Pin into place and sew around the edges leaving the top open.



To make an eyelet lace flower use a needle and thread
and sew a running stitch along the top.


Pull to gather it and to form a flower shape that looks like this. . . 


Bring the two ends together and sew them closed.


Add a pretty embellishment to the center of the flower
and sew or use fabric glue to attach it to the apron.
You can even attach the flower to a pin so that you can take it off
and add it to your outfit :)


And finally it's time to attach the apron strings
(which I forgot to take photos off),
but thankfully it's easy.
I used a rose chiffon ribbon that was about 14 inches long for each
and sewed them onto the edge of the apron.
You can also use the extra fabric from the shirt to make strings out of.


All done! :)
Enjoy your upcycled apron, sweet friends!



Have a beautifully blessed day!


Don't miss out on the Mug Exchange - click on the picture for more details.

47 comments:

Denise said...

Gorgeous! I have never seen or even heard of the idea.If only I could sew-maybe I could do one by hand.You look lovely in Yours pretty lady that You are.

camp and cottage living said...

It's very cute, Stephanie.
And recycled! I like the extra touches you added to make it more feminine too.

Billie Jo said...

Stephanie...
This is beautiful!
Simply amazing...
Someone like myself...who is...ahemmmm...domestically challenged...really appreciates your talent. : )
Hugs, my friend!

Debbie Harris said...

Lovely, just lovely! You make everything seem so easy with your tutorials that I get all exited, then realize, really Debbie??
You did a beautiful job making your's so pretty and feminine.
You look quite beautiful!
You have a beautiful blessed day as well.
Love you, Mom

Sarah said...

Stephanie,

You did a great job! It is a truly clever idea. : )

-Sarah

silverfeather said...

What a sweet apron...I love how you embellished it to make it so feminine! You look so pretty wearing it too! Happy cooking!

WholeHearted Home Judith Kowles said...

I love this Stephanie!! I am going to my husband side of the closet, well, maybe not. I just might buy one ;-)

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie ... such a precious apron. So, so darling! I hope that you have a blessed week my sweet friend. Hugs ♥ Teri

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Stephanie, Oh how darling is your apron. You did an amazing job and it looks gorgeous on pretty you.
You are a bundle of talent my friend.
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings!!

Debby Ray said...

Stephanie...I have seen this idea before but have never made an apron from a shirt. I LOVE IT! And you did an awesome job! And you are SO cute....and skinny...lol! Thank you for sharing the tutorial...I may just have to try one of these myself!!

Hope said...

Stephanie, I love this! I am SO going to make one of my own.

:)Hope

NanaDiana said...

OMGosh- As much sewing as I have done I have NEVER seen one of these! I LOVE it-it is perfect! I am saving this link so I can remember the steps. Thanks for figuring it out FOR me! xo Diana

Debbie Borthwick said...

This is one beautiful apron! The first thing I ever sewed back in home economics in grade 7 was an apron, but it was just the 1/2 apron, very easy. This looks easy too, and much prettier! I have to pin this, these would make cute stocking stuffers for my daughters.
Thanks, Stephanie!
Debbie :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It turned out so cute and you are a beautiful young lady my friend. Thanks for showing us how to make one. Love the added lace and feminine touches! Sweet hugs, Diane

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

You did a great job! It's super cute!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Dear Stephanie, this is the sweetest little apron! And don't you look darling in it! Now I will be going through my husband's closet....Shhhh! Thank you for the lovely tutorial, too. I hope you had a blessed Easter. Hugs xo Karen

Simply Linda said...

I love it!! Oh gee, I forgot to email you. Blessings

Jen Ham said...

Absolutely darling! xo Jen

Anne Payne said...

Now this is a fantastic apron! I love it. You did good :)

Blackberry Lane said...

I love your apron and you look stunning. Hope you are enjoying a good week.

Denise said...

You are truly gorgeous, love the apron.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Stephanie, this is stunning! I'm so glad you ventured out and made this beautiful apron, and I LOVE the doily, eyelet lace, and design! It fits you well, beautiful friend! Hugs!

lynn said...

Oh I love love your apron very much! Good job on making this. Love your new hair too! Very cute on you. Makes you look so young.

magnoliasntea said...

What a cute spin on an apron! Love it. Have a great week!

kitty said...

Oh sweet Stephanie, your apron turned out so pretty!! You've embellished it so perfectly, which is your expertise. I actually looked up how to do this type of apron, but just can't get myself to do it it quite yet. I even was going to make a pillow out of my hubby's jeans, but just started crying. Maybe someday I'll be able to. xo

Gail Dixon said...

I absolutely adore this!! What an awesome idea for an apron. Certainly cuter than the tired old aprons my grandmother wore. Wonderful!!

Merlesworld said...

Pretty apron and no two alike.
Merle..............

Vicky Hunt said...

Your apron is absolutely adorable and I love that it's made from a man's shirt. How neat is that! The embellishments look wonderful. Enjoy your new apron. Have a blessed week..Vicky

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Absolutely adorable and pretty fabulous too! Pinned for later to try!

White Lace and Promises said...

How absolutely darling and you are just too cute! I don't know how a 2XL men's shirt would look like as an apron:) That would be me!

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, your apron came out so pretty and thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make one. You made it look so feminine! Have a nice evening.
Julie

living from glory to glory said...

Hello There, You look as cute as a button!! And I have seen these adorable aprons and they look just so much fun to make! As soon as I can, I am going to give this a try!
You should make some of them and put them in your shop!
Loved the photos, I bet you are enjoying your new camera.
Love, Roxy

Stacy @ Sweethearts + Sweet Tarts said...

Wow Stephanie! First, I must say how truly beautiful you are! I have never seen an apron made from a shirt. Your apron and instructions are well done. It turned out really cute.

Sola Scriptura said...

What a great idea! I just adore how your apron turned out.

Abiola said...

Weldone, dear friend.

I absolutely love upcycling projects and this turned out really well. The embellishment gave it a stunning feel / look. An apron is allowed to be stunning.

JES said...

Absolutely darling! :)

SarahGeorge said...

Oh,wow! Stephannie, what a cool idea! You look so pretty my friend :)

Robyn said...

Stephanie, this is fabulous and I love the tutorial.
You've had a new haircut, haven't you? It suits you perfectly and you look beautiful, my friend. Big Hugs to you. xo

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my Stephanie, that is just the cutest apron ever. I hadn't heard of aprons out of mens shirts, what a great idea. Love how you reused the pocket, the lace and trim gives it such a great feminine look, well done!

Mindy Whipple said...

So cute - and I love that it is an upcycled project as well! Happy Wednesday.

Ida said...

Very cute! I can't sew worth diddly squat but I think this is so charming and sweet looking.

Laura Lane said...

Your instructions and photos were very clear. I'm thinking about my husband's shirts right now!

Thanks for sharing this. I've wondered how it's done, and I do need a new apron. ~grin~

Please drop by!

Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Camille said...

SO cute! What a great idea! Before seeing this, I was in the dark as well. You did a lovely job on yours, Stephanie. Many Blessings, Camille

Sandra said...

All of your craft and sewing projects are wonderful but this one is amazing! You've outdone yourself, Stephanie. I love this apron as it's so unique. The addition of the lacy doily and the pretty flower give a feminine touch to a masculine fabric...perfect!

Delvalina said...

Oh I love this idea sister.
Once I saw on pinterest it just blown me away :) you really good on sewing too.

Thanks for sharing this crazy idea :)

Jan Tanis said...

Stephanie...this Apron is Beautiful! What a creative way to make a cute apron. I want one of these for myself! I love aprons.

I just did a post about your Apron on my blog...with a link back here to your Tutorial. I have quite a few Tutorials I've collected and posted there.

Have a Blessed Day!

Jan ♥

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

I love the shirt collar on the apron, and you did such a nice job with all the lace details. Really a beautiful apron!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...