Sunday, May 04, 2014

O Day Of Rest And Gladness

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered in his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works,
as God did from his.
Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest. . ."
~ Hebrews 4:9 - 22a ~

O day of rest and gladness, O day of joy and light,
O balm of care and sadness, most beautiful, most bright:
On thee, the high and lowly, thru ages joined in tune,
Sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy," to the great God Triune.

On thee, at the creation, the light first had its birth;
On thee, for our salvation, Christ arose from depths of earth;
On thee, our Lord victorious, the Spirit sent from heav'n;
And thus on thee, most glorious, a triple light was given.

Today on weary nations the heavenly manna falls;
To holy convocations the silver trumpet calls,
Where Gospel light is glowing with pure and radiant beams,
And living water flowing with soul refreshing streams.

New graces ever gaining from this our day of rest,
We reach the rest remaining to spirits of the blest.
To Holy Ghost be praises, to Father, and to Son;
The Church her voice upraises to Thee, blest Three in One.
~ Christopher Wordsworth ~


"Again the Lord's own day is here,
The day to Christian people dear;
As, week by week, it bids them tell
How Jesus rose from death and hell."
~ Ascribed to Thomas a Kempis - Translated by John M. Neale ~

Have a blessed Lord's Day, my dear friends!

13 comments:

Debbie Harris said...

"This IS the day that the Lord has made, and I WILL rejoice on it!" I love that. There is such peace when we"rest" in the Lord after a long week of labor.
Good reminder today, thank you.
You have a blessed day as well.

Sola Scriptura said...

Today really has been a day of rest and gladness for me. Lovely scripture picture! I wish you a wonderful day, Stephanie.

living from glory to glory said...

Dressed and Blessed and filled to overflowing! Church is a I get to go, not I have to go!
Another privilege from our Great God! HAPPY DAY...
Roxy

Carol Z said...

Blessed Sunday and a bright and blessed week!

Valerie said...

It is such a wonderful thing to have a day to rest and regroup before another week of life rolls on. Thank you for the lovely thoughts today.
Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

Anne Payne said...

Today has been a beautiful spring day of rest. Your graphic is lovely!

SizzleandZoom said...

Your posts are always beautifully inspiring.

pinks said...

Rejoice and be glad in it! What wonderful weather and what a wonderful God who looks after us :) Thank you for posting this great song :)

Delvalina said...

What a beautiful day the Lord has made.
Dear sister, you captured it so beautiful.
Blessing,
DELVALINA

Gail Dixon said...

I try to do as little as possible on Sunday except enjoy, but yesterday I found myself pulling weeds out of the garden. In my defense, it was quite therapeutic. I thought of God's creation and how we shouldn't let negative thoughts like weeds take over. Beautiful post, Stephanie, and great reminders.

Conniecrafter said...

I think of this verse every morning that the sun rise is just gorgeous!! I know I should say that every morning but the beautiful sunrises really make me feel it!

Denise said...

So very refreshing to my soul, bless you.

Ida said...

What a lovely photo/quote. Wish I could say my Sunday turned out that way. Sadly there were some hurt feelings and angry words but lessons were learned and hearts were mended so it all turned out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...