Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

Hats off to Dad on Father's Day!


FATHER
A rock of strength to lean upon in times of joy or stress;
An understanding loyal soul,
A heart of tenderness,
A mind all wisdom,
Knowing how justice and love to blend:
A teacher, loving, patient, kind,
My Father,
My Friend.
~ Unknown ~

* * * * * * * * *

I remember the day I became "too old" to hold my dad's hand. . .
As a little girl I had no fear or reservations about holding daddy's hand,
it was as common as playing outside.
Feeling his strong hand over mine gave me, a little girl, the feeling of love, 
the knowledge of being protected.
But then I grew older, I became a teenager and I worried what others my age would think.
Dad reached for my hand while walking in public and I quickly pulled it away.
His eyes showed the hurt, the hurt that went straight to his heart,
but he smiled instead and teased his "little girl" about growing up.
I wish I could rewind the years and go back to that moment I pulled away. . .
I would grab my dad's hand and hold on.
I would erase the hurt that shown from his eyes and instead replace the look with joy.
The silly teenager who did not know anything back then has learned that her dad 
is one of the most important men in her life,
and that having his hand to hold means the world to her -
I love you, my dear dad, and I am blessed and honored to hold your hand :)
You have enriched my life with your never-ending love and wisdom. 
I have and will continue to look up to you.


On Father's Day I also look up to my husband 
who continues to have a godly influence upon my life.
He loves the Lord with all of his heart and that love pours out onto his family.
I admire his strength and integrity and smile at his funny antics and jokes.
I am thankful for him and love him with all of my heart.


Happy Father's Day!
May you have a blessed Lord's Day, my friends!

DAD
A son's first Hero,
A daughter's first Love.

19 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Happy Father's Day! Wonderful illustrations, Stephanie!

silverfeather said...

May we all appreciate and love on our fathers today...wish mine were here to receive one of his great hugs. He was the best, always helping others. He was a giver and a great provider. Thanks for your sweet thoughts today!

Debbie Harris said...

This is a beautiful tribute, Stephanie, for the two precious men in your life.
The Lord has blessed you!
May your Fathers Day be beautiful!
Much love

Vee said...

Beautiful, thought-provoking selections...

Happy Father's Day to those special dads in your life!

Patty Sumner said...

A great tribute to Father's! My dad died when I was just a little girl.. I cannot remeber him at all. I am blessed to have a godly husband who is a wonderful Father.. We are truly blessed! Have a great Day! Blessings!

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

What a blessing, the love of a father.

Abiola Olaleye said...

So beautiful.

Happy Fathers' Day to your dad, hubby and all the fathers out there toiling day and night to keep the smiles on their kids' faces.

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! With age comes much wisdom I think. I'm sure I felt the same way about my Dad. Now, I'm just so glad that he is here, and I can celebrate with him!
Best of blessings on your Dad and husband :)
Ceil

A Daughter of the King said...

This is beautiful!

Vicky Hunt said...

Lovely Father's Day sentiments Stephanie! Hope you are doing well my friend. Have a blessed Lord's day...Vicky

Valerie said...

What a very touching post. It made me tear up...I can remember pulling my hand away from my father and my mother at a certain age. It hurts my heart now to think about it. Hope your day is a happy one. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

SarahGeorge said...

A very sweet and apt post :) Happy Fathers day to all those special fathers :).
I'm sorry Stephanie, I've been missing out the beautiful posts by your dear guest bloggers, will try to catch up soon.
Hugs
Sarah

JES said...

Thanks for sharing you story... I know we all have moments of regrets but there is triumph when we realize it! (and repent) Fathers are heroes! Hope your time off was restful~ please join us at the Art of Home-Making Mondays this week :)

kitty said...

What a lovely post about the two important men in your life, my friend. They are both wonderful examples for your son. xo

Conniecrafter said...

I had to cry about the not holding his hand when you become a teenager, it is funny when you get old enough and realize you wish you never had stopped, when they are gone you would give anything to hold his hand one more time.

Happy Wife and Mother said...

What a precious post, dear Stephanie.

♥Hope

Denise said...

Precious post.

Jazzmin said...

Oh Stephanie, this is the sweetest post, my friend! It was such a joy to read. The love for your Dad radiates through your words and your heartfelt expression of love for him and the simple beauty of holding a father's hand is a reminder of how precious simple moments with our Daddies are :)
I can relate to your experience- I don't know what I was thinking, especially in my early teens when I started to be embarrassed by that. I wish I could change that now. Thank the Lord for wonderful fathers who have unfailing love for us no matter what- even through our teen years ;)

I hope you and your family had a wonderful weekend and Father's day!

I am so happy to see you are back :) I hope you are doing wonderfully, dear friend.

Blessings and huge hugs to you,
Jazzmin

Robyn said...

This is such a beautiful post, Stephanie. I did something similar to the hand holding and to this day I regret it. I think every child goes through something similar though.
There is no one like our Dads, is there? My father passed away at a young age and I miss him terribly but I have such strong memories and my siblings and I have inherited many of his traits so I feel him with us always.
Thanks for touching my heart today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...