Monday, June 02, 2014

Kati's Little Corner of the World - Guest Blogger

Today's lovely guest is Kati from 
I remember when I first came across her blog - 
she had just shared a hymn and you all know I love the old hymns :)
I was immediately looking for the 'Follow' button!
She also has beautiful photos that she posts.
There is always something wonderful to see at Kati's sweet place.

* * * * * * *

My grandmother, Mommom as she is affectionately called, is a wonderful woman. 
She loves the Lord. 
She loved her husband of sixty-six years 
(he has been to be with his Lord and Savior three years now). 
She loves her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. 
She has an excellent memory! 
She can remember every birthday of every single family member 
which is quite a feat since my dad is one of eight and she has eighteen grandchildren 
and twenty-seven great-grandchildren plus those who have married into the family! 
She can listen to another conversation while taking part in another. 
She can put her finger on anything she has in her house: 
an outfit one of her children wore in a school picture, a receipt from 20 years ago, birthday cards, 
party favors, lunchboxes, Easter baskets...
Since she lives just three doors down from us, I will occasionally walk down to her house 
and we will spend an hour, sometimes two, sitting in her living room talking. 
She can make the best coconut cake, peanut butter cake, and boiled cookies.

Mommom and me
 Ever since I can remember we have made her recipe for boiled cookies. 
Dad or my sister Kristin would make them some evening 
and sometimes we couldn't even wait for them to cool. :) 
I always think about Mommom when I make boiled cookies. 
We have made these cookies so many times that the original recipe card that Mommom gave us
faded so that we could hardly read the recipe. 
We copied the recipe over to a new card but kept the old one in her handwriting. 
In our recipe book we have the new copy and the old side by side.


They are so easy to make and so yummy! 
They use some of the best ingredients out there: 
chocolate, peanut butter, oats...what could taste better than all those ingredients put together? ;) 
And since they have oats they're healthy, right?




 In a medium saucepan put together: 
    2 cups sugar 
    3 tablespoons cocoa 
    1/2 cup milk 
    1 stick butter 

 Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Take off heat. 

 Add: 
    3 cups oats 
    1/2 cup peanut butter 
    1 teaspoon vanilla 

 Place tablespoonfuls on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper and refrigerate until hardened.



I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as my family does!




I'm Kati. I am a child of the Heavenly Father, daughter, sister to two sisters and a brother, sister-in-law to two I think of as a brother and a sister, proud aunt to eight, and a homeschool graduate.  I am a baker, reader, crafter, blogger, and photographer.  

I blog about my life at Kati's Little Corner of the World.


18 comments:

Julie Corbisiero said...

What a lovely recipe that Kati has shared with us from her grandmother. I will pin this and look forward to making it sometime.
Julie

Denise said...

Yummy, those are my favorite cookies, make them all the time. Such a great post, bless you Katie.

Laura Smith said...

I love these cookies. My mom taught me how to make them when I was younger. Now my kids love them. The best part is eating what is left over in the pot with our spoons!

Debbie Harris said...

Hello Katie!
What a beautiful post you shared about the love of your Mommom. She is just lovely, and how I would love to live close to her so I too could stop in for a visit. :-)
I just realized as you were sharing this recipe that it is one my precious mother in law, Stephanies dear grandmother, Betty made. My husband enjoyed these when we would go home for a visit. I will have to surprise him and make them one day.
so nice to met you, Katie. Thank you for sharing with us.
Have s blessed day!
Joy! Debbie

Vee said...

What a special relationship you have shared, Kati! These cookies are favorites here, too. I might need to change the name from No-Bake to Boiled, though. One seems more descriptive.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, I am so glad to hear such a sweet story about a woman's memory and cookies that still gets rave reviews :o)
We all hope to leave a legacy like hers and so much more as the Lord leads each of us. I am excited to come visit your Blog! And what a privilege to be a Guest blogger for such a sweet lady as Stephanie. I am so glad to meet you!
Blessings, Miss Roxy

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

What a lovely post! Grandmother's recipes are always the best recipes! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Ida said...

What a lovely post. You can feel the love of your grandma in it. She sounds like a truly remarkable lady. - I love those cookies and bake or rather boil them often. The only thing I do different is use water instead of milk (that was new to me).

Norma Ruttan said...

thank you for sharing about your grandmother! my momma was one of 10 living children, 2 died in infancy. keeping my mind alert and willing to learn is my prime goal these days, as I'm 74, and I'm happy to be alive.

lynn said...

What a lovely post! Thank you.

Robyn said...

Hi Katie,
Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful relationship with your grandmother and her scrumptious recipe. How nice that she lives so close and you can visit often!
I'm off to visit your blog. Have a great day.

Maryann said...

These cookies sound totally healthy Katie, and delicious. You sound you have a wonderful relationship with your grandma...what a blessing to be so close.

Amy said...

These are my favorite cookies too!

My grandma taught me how to make these when I was little and I make them still to this day! Of course my youngest son is allergic to peanuts, so I make them with either almond butter or cashew butter and they still turn out delicious.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Have a great week.

Blessings,
Amy

Debbie Borthwick said...

I've never heard of boiled cookies before, but these look like one of the easiest cookies out there! And they sound delicious, too! Lovely post.
Debbie :)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a lovely story about your grandmother!

Jan Tanis said...

Beautiful post Kati! Love the recipe, too! ♥

Conniecrafter said...

How wonderful to have that time with your grandmother, I never knew my grandparents. We always called these no bake cookies, I made them not too long ago :)

Mindy Whipple said...

So nice to meet a new face! I love hearing about your Grandmother and the recipes she has shared with you. My Grandma (passed on several years ago) taught me all I know about baking and so much more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...