Thursday, July 31, 2014

Rhubarb Turnovers And Coffee

Join me, dear friends, for a cup of tea or coffee and the taste of summer.


The rhubarb has been freshly picked from the garden
and is waiting to tease our taste buds with its tart and sweet flavor.
What shall we have. . .
Rhubarb cobbler, rhubarb cake, or maybe some rhubarb crisp - no, I think not.
Lets indulge in some rhubarb turnovers.
Yes, that sounds delightful - turnovers that melt in your mouth.


The scent of cinnamon lingers in the air
and the sugar sprinkled atop the tasty treats is just waiting to sweeten our day.


I shall be having coffee this morning with plenty of cream and sugar.
What about you, my friend, what will you be having with your tempting rhubarb turnover?


And now back to those rhubarb delights - those pastry yummies just waiting for the first bite.
You're probably wondering how I made them so let me tell you. . .
Make haste to the kitchen to prepare your own scrumptious turnovers.
You won't be disappointed, my friend, 
I promise they are worth every stick of butter and every sprinkle of sugar :)


For the pastry recipe click here and it will take you to a post written long ago
when I was just a newbie blogger which you can tell by the photos :)
It will give you step-by-step instructions on how to make this amazing dough.


For the rhubarb filling you will need:

3 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 to 2 cups of granulated sugar (it all depends on how sweet you want your filling)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
water

In a medium saucepan, add cut the rhubarb and sugar; mix well.
Now add a little bit of water (I did not measure this) since the rhubarb needs a little moisture.
I probably added about 1/4 cup or so - just eyeball the consistency.
You don't want it to be too thin!
 Now add the cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and vanilla; stir until combined.
Cook on a medium heat until rhubarb is tender and can be mashed.
Let cool and thicken before filling your turnovers.

The pastry recipe tells you how long you will need to bake these.
Also, if you don't like rhubarb and are unable to find it 
then a strawberry filling is just as tasty :)


Enjoy your turnovers, sweet friends.
They are delicious when warm and even when they are cold.


They are good to the very last crumb!


Thanks for joining me today, lovelies.
Have a glorious, joy-filled day!
HUGS!

Linking up with Liz at:

And JES at:
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

* * * * * * *

And one last thing - I wanted to share something exciting with you, friends.
You can join the Tyndale Rewards Program and can easily earn FREE BOOKS! 
Yes, I said free books :)
I joined the other day and in just a matter of minutes 
was able to earn enough points to get my first book for free.
It's very simple and by clicking on the picture below it will take you to the sign-up screen
where you can automatically earn 25 points.
Trust me, you will be glad you signed up, sweet friends!
Just click on the picture. . .


42 comments:

janice15 said...

yummmy, it looks so divine I wish I could be there to share them with you, Your photos are so inviting.. Happy Thursday with love Janice

Simply Linda said...

Thanks for sharing..I'll take another cup of coffee and pass on the rhubarb..(wink and smiles)--have a great Thursday!! Blessings

Shoregirl said...

That looks like a recipe I need to try!! Crisps are one of my favorite ways to use rhubarb, and I usually make a combo one with rhubarb and blueberries!!

mamasmercantile said...

Sheer delight, I'll take two with a nice pot of tea please. Thank you for sharing that wonderful recipe.

Sylvia said...

Never had Rhubarb before, Stephanie, but it sure looks good. Cute teapot.

Debby Ray said...

Oh YES please! What a lovely, descriptive post...in image and in word! Have a wonderful day!

Vicky Hunt said...

I don't recall every eating rhubarb before , but your tarts look delicious! I am sure I would love them. Hope you have a blessed and beautiful day my friend!

Hugs, Vicky

Debbie Harris said...

A lovely cup of tea or coffee with you sharing those delicious turnovers would be wonderful on this cool day.
Your photos from a couple of years ago are just as lovely, by the way. :-)
Beautiful post today, Stephanie.
Bless you!

SarahGeorge said...

Your food photography is so very beautiful Stephanie. And I'm sure your coffee tasted equally good :) Have a lovely day.:)

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, yes, these look very yummy and I love the sweet and tangy taste of Rhubarb. Amy made some muffins a while back! Your photos look very clean and crisp! Your new camera has served you well! I love you and your blog! I will try to send an email soon! Yours Always, Roxy

Sarah said...

Stephanie,

What a tempting looking treat! I love the way you have so elegantly presented your tea/coffee table! I wish I lived near by I would definitely be stopping by for a visit... and hopefully a turnover. : )

May you have a blessed day!

-Sarah

Marta said...

Hello from Spain: great recipe. Very appetizing .. We keep in touch

Blackberry Lane said...

The turnovers look so delicious. I love cream in my coffee! It would be nice to sit and visit with you over coffee and maybe listen to some old hymns on cd!
Thanks for the beautiful photos and the recipe. Have a lovely afternoon, Stephanie.

Trout Lures said...

you have a fantastic blog and i am greatly fascinated by your blog post. i have bookmarked your blog for the future visit. thank you

Vee said...

Oh wonderful! And I loved going back to see the old photos. So cute! They look remarkably like mine. =D

You set a beautiful table and your photography skills are terrific. That crust looks so beautiful that I really want to try these.

Gail Dixon said...

Your posts are always so inviting! And I suspect some may even put pounds on my tummy, lol. My daughter has always been a huge fan of rhubarb. I've never tried it.

Bethany Carson said...

Oooh! Looks delicious! The pastry looks so flaky and the table is set beautifully!

Debbie said...

omgoodness that looks so yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I think I must try this!!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

The season for rhubarb is over here in Upstate NY but I am saving this for next year. I have made a lot of rhubarb pies, bars and crisps but never turnovers. They look luscious!

Deborah Montgomery said...

These look so delicious! I love rhubarb in pie, so I'm sure I'd love these. Hmm . . . now I'm in the mood for something sweet! Have a lovely evening Stephanie!

kitty said...

I'd love to join you for a rhubarb turnover, my friend! Can you believe that I've never tasted rhubarb?? I'd love to try yours, though. Your dishes are soooo pretty and your photos are so dreamy. Yummy blessings to you!

Susan said...

Oh my GOODNESS, Stephanie. The turnovers look luscious. Bet they taste great, too. Mmmmmmm. Susan

Mrs R said...

Stephanie, I have never had rhubarb before. I'm not even sure what it looks like. Sad but true. I am going to check to see if my grocery store carries it and try something new. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

The best pie I have ever had was strawberry rhubarb. Oh my. Those pastries look So Yummy. I can't have wheat or dairy, but maybe I could adjust the recipe.
Thank you for serving me tea in such a pretty cup!
xxoo, m

Think Loveliness said...

Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe. yum!

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Oh my Stephanie. Those turnovers look so delish. What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. And the china is lovely.

Have a wonderful weekend sweet friend.

Janet

Miss Val's Creations said...

The turnovers look and sound so delicious Stephanie! I love anything with cinnamon and sugar. :) Your photos are beautiful as always.

pinks said...

Oh this post makes me so hungry!! These pictures are "delicious"! It all looks so yummy and beautiful with all your lovely plates too! Lovely post to wake up too! :)

Cranberry Morning said...

It looks simply wonderful, Stephanie. Happy August to you!

Linda Walker said...

These rhubarb turnovers look delicious! Definitely one for the recipe book! Thanks for posting!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Robyn said...

Hi Stephanie,
What a lovely recipe! Each time I hear the word rhubarb I laugh to myself because when my brother was little he used to call it 'rhubarber', lol. I heard it so often that now when I'm typing the word, I have to stop and pause and try to remember which one is correct!
Such gorgeous photos, my friend. Enjoy your weekend. See you in 10 days or so! xoxo

Conniecrafter said...

MMMM that looks so delicious :)

Mindy Whipple said...

We love rhubarb so I am always on t h e lookout for new ways to use ours - thanks for sharing your recipe.

Ana said...

Oh It looks delicious!!!
*

Sarah said...

Delicious! The pink peony is a perfect compliment.

Liz Hockamier said...

Oh My Gosh! My mouth is watering! :) I'm on a really restrictive diet for daughter's wedding and this is just no where on the list of "allowed foods" Hmmmm? I just can't imagine why? :)

Thank you so much for sharing you post for Fresh-Cut Friday. It's the perfect addition! :)

Have a great weekend.
~Liz

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Stephanie, I love anything with rhubarb and these look wonderful! I can almost smell them! I'll trade you some crumbles for them!

Sola Scriptura said...

Stephanie, The recipes you share always looks so delicious! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. We just returned from a road trip to England so I'm having fun catching up here in blogland!

TexWisGirl said...

those look delicious. i love rhubarb. :) thanks for the visit!

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Oh wow!! I'll have to pin this one.. as something sure to try! I do love rhubarb.

meeting you here from JES's blog... and the Art of Homemaking! link up.

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, wow I never had this kind of turn over before and they sure look yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I pinned it.
Julie

JES said...

What a delightful post Stephanie! Thank you for sharing this tasty treat on the Art of Home-Making Mondays...

I take my coffee with heavy cream and raw honey :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...