Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Berry Eclairs

The raspberries and strawberries have been so sweet and tasty lately
so of course berry desserts have been on the menu :)
I made some raspberry and strawberry eclairs the other day
and may I just say they were a lovely addition to my cup of tea and book
(no, I didn't eat ALL of them)


Here is the recipe, dear friends.

Ingredients:

Choux Pastry
1/4 cup butter
just under 2/3 cups water
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
2 eggs, beaten

Filling
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp confectioners' sugar
fresh raspberries or strawberries

Icing
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
milk
pink food coloring (optional)


To make the pastry:
Place the butter and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil
Add the sifted flour, all at once, and beat thoroughly until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
Cool slightly, then vigorously beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a 1/2 -inch nozzle
(or use a Ziploc bag and cut a small opening on the bottom)
and make 3-inch lengths of pastry on dampened baking sheets.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Remove from oven and make a small hole in each eclair with the tip of a knife
to let out the steam, then return to the oven for 5 more minutes,
to dry out the insides.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the filling:
Place the cream and 1 tbsp sugar in a bowl and mi with an electric mixer until thick.
Split the eclairs and fill with the whipped cream and berries.

To make the icing:
Sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice
and enough milk to make a smooth paste.
If using, stir in the food coloring
and drizzle over the eclairs.
Chill for 2 - 4 hours before serving.
Right before serving, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the tops.



Mmmm... enjoy with a hot drink, sweet friends!


May your day be bright and beautiful.

Linking up with:
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

* * * * *

Roses of Worth (my other blog) moved to a Wordpress account.
Come by for a visit, sweet friends.
Roses of Worth

35 comments:

Debbie said...

how does one eat something so beautiful. for me, it would not be a problem...hehe

what a perfect recipe for summer and berry season!! and i also love those plates ;)

Kathleen TheLavenderBouquet said...

Looks simply divine! Have a wonderful day!.
Kathleen

Mary said...

Those look so yummy as well as too pretty to eat!!

Lady Linda said...

WOW! These are so beautiful. You are amazing. My mom used to make cream puff and your post brought back memories.
Love,
Linda

Robyn said...

I think I was a bear in another life because I adore berries of every kind! What a delicious treat, Stephanie! You are a skilled baker :)
Thanks for sharing a great recipe. I hope your week is off to a good start, my friend.
Hugs xoxo

Shoregirl said...

Wow -- they look beautiful and delicious! I made your rhubarb turnovers the other day and enjoyed them right down to the last bite!

Sarah said...

What a perfect summer treat! Your tea cup is lovely too. : )

-Sarah

mamasmercantile said...

They look beautiful. The cup and saucer is a delight, very pretty.

Christina Paul said...

Oh these look heavenly! and thanks for the step by step instructions! :)

Fashion Lover said...

Yuumyy!! I looks delicious dear!! Thanks for share this recipe!

XOXO!

Sola Scriptura said...

Those look both lovely and delicious! Thank you for the recipe, I want to make this pretty treat to share!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, I have always loved a pastry dough as they are not very sweet.
Also whipped cream can have just a hint of sweet and be perfect!
When we were back East the strawberries were amazing!! I wish the fruit bearing delights were all year round! I pray you have a great day and learn as much as you can teaching your little man. I must say when I taught my children, I learned so much myself! Yours Always, Roxy

My cozy ✄ little space said...

mmm looks delicious

Vee said...

Your friends must love you! These look so delicious and perfect for an afternoon tea.

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh good grief, those look delicious! I love the main outer recipe: flour, butter, eggs. What's not to like! And no sugar. It's much like my 'Danish Puff' recipe (on the outside), but I'll have to try this strawberry version. I know it's fantastic. I've cooked and baked long enough that I can tell what it tastes like. Thanks. But it would have been nicer if you'd just sent me some. ;-))))

Debby Ray said...

Ooh...YES please!!! These look absolutely fabulous!! Thanks or sharing :)

kitty said...

Oh my, these Eclairs look divine, my friend! Of course, anything with berries calls my name. I made some of Grandma Betty's raspberry jam about a week ago, as it's my favorite! Love you!

Poppy said...

Hi Stephanie,

Your berry eclairs are 'berry' pretty, and just as scrumptious, I'm sure! I would whip these up, as they are very tempting, but sadly, we only get strawberries when they are in season, here on the island. Raspberries do not grow here at all, and they are only available frozen, if and when they are shipped to local supermarkets.

Thanks for sharing!

Have a wonderful week!

Poppy

Janneke said...

Wow, these eclairs look so lovely and delicious. I copy the recipe because I am sure my husband will love them too. Thank you.

Merlesworld said...

They do look good.
Merle...........

Debbie Harris said...

Oh my Stephanie!! Those are simply delicious looking. :) Sigh... How I would have loved sitting over a cup of tea and these sweets with you.
Of course, I would have requested that tea cup, wink wink.
This was a beautiful post with your photos and all.
Love you, Mom

Vicky Hunt said...

Oh my Stephanie...my mouth is watering. These look delicious! I have never made pastry before, but have always wanted to try it. Maybe soon. Hope you're having a lovely week so far!

Blessings, Vicky

Bethany Carson said...

These look sooo delicious!

SarahGeorge said...

mmm.. looks de..li..ci..ous... :)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Those look just too pretty to eat....but of course, I would! Yummm!

Miss Val's Creations said...

These look amazingly delicious! Perfect for tea time or Valentine's Day. :)

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my you no how to make my mouth water, those look delicious, I am sure your hubby is thrilled to come home and see what you made next.

Mindy Whipple said...

Oh I love berries and this looks like such a lovely way to enjoy them! Now if you were only closer maybe we could share a cup of tea and one of your treats together : )

Ida said...

Yum! They look delicious. Of course now our fresh berries are all gone for the summer and I hate store bought strawberries so looks like I'll have to wait till next year to try these out.

Julie Corbisiero said...

There you go again Stephanie with making a delicious looking dessert! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. Have a nice day.
Julie

Red Rose Alley said...

Stephanie,
Will you come to my house and cook for me? haha These berry eclairs look incredible. I haven't had an ├ęclair in so long. My mom used to like them, so they remind me of her. Oh, they look so good next to your cup of tea.

love,
~Sheri

Camille said...

Mmmm....they look yummy! I *love* berry season. Your men must be so pleased that you are cooking for them. :) Blessings, Camille

Liz Hockamier said...

YUM!

~Liz

Marcia Pilar said...

YUM. :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

What a pretty dessert!! I would love to be enjoying one of these today :) Hope you are having a great Labor Day Weekend with your friends and family :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...