Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Story Keeper - Book Review

"She'd noticed immediately that I understood the lure of a good story.
Sometimes a world that doesn't exist is the only escape from one that does."

Successful New York editor Jen Gibbs is at the top of her game
with her new position at Vida House Publishing - until a mysterious
manuscript from an old slush pile appears on her desk.
Turning the pages, Jen finds herself drawn into the life of Sarra,
a mixed-race Melungeon girl trapped by dangerous men in Appalachia 
at the turn of the twentieth century.
A risky hunch may lead to the book's hidden origins and its unknown author,
but when the trail turns toward the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains,
a place Jen thought she'd left behind forever,
the price of a blockbuster book deal may be higher than she's willing to pay.


My Thoughts
Let's see if I can reign in my thoughts so that I can keep this somewhat short and sweet 
and share a little of what I think about this masterfully written book.
Yes, Lisa Wingate has done it again - she has written a book that literally captures the reader. 
This book will capture your heart, your thoughts, your complete attention
and will have the reader wanting more from two special characters: Jen and Sarra.

Jen's life story is. . .special and yet heart-wrenching at the same time.
She did not always have it easy in life and had to live with a family that
was hard on her and did not outwardly show love.
She was influenced by a precious woman, Wilda, who taught her what love is
and to not be afraid to chase her dreams in life.
Jen's story will touch anyone's life.
". . .and remember that no matter how many wrong choices we've made in the past,
we can always decide to make the right ones today.
The past need not determine one moment of the future." -(pg.77)
I cried in a few chapters and laughed in many others.
The author, Lisa Wingate, does an amazing job of keeping joy and laughter among the heartache.
Jen has a dog named Friday who had me in stitches!
On my very first night of reading the book 
I was laughing a good belly laugh over Friday's antics.
Friday became a beloved character in my eyes.

Sarra's story was just as touching and during the time I read the book
I eagerly looked forward to reading parts of her life while reading abut Jen's.
It's a win-win situation with two stories in one book - they are both incredible!
Sarra inspired me with her courage and strength
for she is a woman that has seen the ugliness of life
and continues to live with a love and passion for her Savior.
Sarra's grandmother told her,
"All breath in ever'thing been given by Father God, Granddaughter.
Not a one He ain't mindful a.
All lives be mattersome to Him.
Not a one oughtn't to be a mattersome to us, same way." -(pg. 198)

A beautiful story that will hold you within its grasp even after the last page is turned.
Lisa Wingate is a remarkable author who knows how to write a book that inspires,
challenges, and encourages the reader.
Don't miss out on this book, dear friends, for it's definitely one worth reading over and over.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Author of Booklist Top 10 picks in 2012 and 2013,
Lisa Wingate skillfully weaves stories that Publishers Weekly has called
"masterful" and ForeWord referred to as "filled with lyrical prose, hope, and healing."
Lisa is a journalist, an inspirational speaker, and a columnist for Southern Writers magazine.
She is a seven-time ACFW Carol Award nominee,
a Christy Award nominee, an Oklahoma Book Award Finalist,
and a two-time Carol Award winner.
More about Lisa can be found on her Facebook page or at www.LisaWingate.com




14 comments:

Sola Scriptura said...

I always enjoy reading your book reviews. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend, Stephanie!

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like a great book and author, hope you are having a great weekend.

Marta said...

Hello from Spain: fabulous recommendation. A very interesting read. Keep in touch

Debbie Harris said...

This sounds like a wonderful book. Another one I need to borrow. :)
You always do such a beautiful job with your book reviews.
I love your music, lovely.
Have a beautiful day!
Love you, Mom

Nina said...

What a lovely surprise to hear this beautiful music, as your page opened, Stephanie - Such a pretty melody!
And the book sounds like one I would enjoy reading :-)
Happy weekend to you, my friend!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've read a lot of books by this author and enjoyed every one! I'll look for this one now! A good review my friend. I need a lighter book after the long historical novel I just finished. Enjoy your weekend! Sweet hugs, Diane

My cozy ✄ little space said...

thank you so much for sharing mrs stefanie, many times i do want to comment but my inglish is not that good...i can read and write a little ...thanks also for visiting my blog...blessings!

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds like a great read! I love a book that makes you laugh out loud. :)

Robyn said...

Love this review, Stephanie. I don't know the author but I will be checking her out. I wish I had more time to read these days. It's something I dearly miss. I'm enjoying the music on your blog too, :)
Happy Sunday, sweet friend. xoxo

Linda Walker said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. I will look for it in the book store the next time I am there! Hope you are enjoying the long weekend! Take good care Stephanie!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Katie R. said...

This sounds like a wonderful book! I'm going to have to see if I can get it from the library. ;-)
~ Katie@ liliesofgrace.blogspot.com

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, this sounds like a really good book! I pinned and would love to read this. Enjoy your week.
Julie

kitty said...

Thanks for the review, sweet friend. I have read something else by Lisa Wingate and I know I would love this book after your glowing review.
Happy Labor Day with your dear family. xo

pinks said...

This book sounds interesting I might give it a go too. I love the front cover. Thank you stephanie :) Hope you are well friend :)Have a good week :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...