Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Bride In Store

Impatient to meet her intended groom and help him grow his general store,
mail-order bride Eliza Cantrell sets out on her travels a week early.
But her plan goes sadly awry when her train is held up by robbers
who steal her dowry, and Axel, her groom-to-be, 
isn't even in town when she finally arrives.

Axel's business partner, William Stanton, has no head for business
and would much rather be a doctor.
When his friend's mail-order bride arrives in town with no money and no groom in sight,
he feels responsible and lets her help around the store - where she quickly proves
she's much more adept at business than he ever will be.

The sparks that fly between Will and Eliza as they work together in close quarters
are hard to ignore, but Eliza is meant for Axel and a future with the store,
while Will is biding his time until he can afford medical school.
When Axel finally returns, their troubles are far from over,
and soon Will and Eliza must decide what they're willing to sacrifice to chase their dreams-
or if God has a new dream in store for them both.


My Thoughts
Have you ever started a book and been drawn into the story 
on the very first paragraph of the first chapter
or been smiling and sighing on the very last paragraph of the epilogue?
Well, this book will do just that!
It has been a while since I got caught up so quickly in a story- 
usually it takes a few chapters for me to get into the characters and plot.
This is one of those books that I did not want to come to an end,
it's one of those stories that is worth savoring and reading over and over.
I must admit that when I chose to review this book I was a little skeptical
because mail-order bride books can become repetitive,
but this mail-order bride book was a pleasant surprise and a delightful read.
There is humor, love, a little mystery and thrill, as well as spiritual growth
in the lives of Will, Axel, and Eliza.

Eliza is not physically beautiful like most typical female characters in a book,
but it's her beautiful qualities that draws Will to her when he first meets her.
I found the character of Eliza to be quite special because she undergoes a sincere
heart transformation throughout the book where she learns it's not always about herself
but rather about God and His desires for her life.

Will, a charming, caring, and kind young man falls for his best friend's lady,
but tries to keep his eyes and heart focused on saving enough money 
so that he can soon head off for medical school.
This isn't always easy since circumstances continue to propel him and Eliza together.
I really appreciated Will's hunger for doing right and living for the Lord- 
it's an amazing testimony to the readers.
As Will struggles with constantly thinking about someone who is off-limits
he is encouraged by Everett to reign in his thoughts.

Everett propped his arms on his knees,
"Well, then I'd say you've got thought problems.
Second Corinthians tells us to bring every thought unto captivity 
and make it obedient to Christ.
If you memorize that verse 
-every time you realize your mind is not where it's supposed to be-
you can recite it, turning your thoughts in a God-honoring direction."

"What if another pops into my head soon after?"

"The Bible says every thought.
God know's we're going to have to capture more thoughts than one." -pg. 93

Out of the many, many books that I have read this one is among the top favorites.
You will be engaged by Melissa's writing and also surprised more than once 
with the turn of events throughout the chapters in the characters lives.
I would highly recommend this book - it's a joy to read!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Melissa Jagears, author of A Bride for Keeps, is a stay-at-home mother
on a tiny Kansas farm with a fixer-upper house.
She's a member of ACFW and CROWN fiction marketing,
and her passion is to help Christian believers mature in their faith and judge rightly.
Find her online at www.melissajagears.com

10 comments:

Sandra said...

Thanks for your book reviews. I like getting an honest opinion from someone I trust and who has the same interests. I'll have to find a copy of this book (like I need another book, lol!). It does sound good.

kitty said...

I'm so,happy that you found this book a joy to read and that it captured your attention right from the start. That's always a wonderful thing!
Your book exchange sounded like fun, my friend.
Happy weekend blessings to you. Love you!

Sola Scriptura said...

Stephanie, How do you find the time to read so many books? I always enjoy your book reviews. Hugs to you and wishes for a lovely weekend.

Elizabeth said...

I have read this one on my Kindle. I agree there seem to be so many 'mail-order bride' stories, but this book is very readable.

Rita said...

I read this book this week. In my own language and I Love this book. Thanks for this review!

Marta said...

Hello from Spain: interesting book. Great review. Keep in touch

Mrs R said...

Hello sweet Stephanie! I've been on holiday in NC and am home and counting the days until we can go back! Thank you for the book review. I love books!

I hope to see you at my new blog -

http://riverwind-thyme.blogspot.com

Gina

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Stephanie, I have not read this book but now your review has me interested. I am going to look for this one soon.
Thank you for sharing. The book exchange sounds like it went very well and I just visited Deborah and loved her post sharing her gifts.
Looking forward to hearing when the teacup exchange will be.

Have a blessed evening and Sunday!
Hugs

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like a great book one to put on my list to read, thanks for sharing.

Miss Val's Creations said...

This novel sounds beautiful! I love character building stories since they are inspirational!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...