Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Felt Zippered Pouch

My cutie pie son came up to me the other day and said,
"Mommy, can you make me something?"
How could I say no to such a sweet question 
and of course he had on his winning smile :)

So he and I decided on a felt pouch that can hold markers and crayons.
He was always carrying his coloring supplies to church in a plastic bag
so we changed that to something much cuter.


My little man picked the colors and I did the sewing. . .here is how I made it.

I cut two pieces of felt - the big one was 9 x 2 inches and the small one was 9 x 2.5 inches.


The edges that went on the zipper were cut with pinking sheers
for a fun, unique look.
Using a zipper foot on my sewing machine I sewed on the zipper.


Then I unzipped the zipper just a little, folded the pouch, 
and pinned right sides together.


I sewed around the three sides 
and sewed over the end of the zipper several times for extra support.
Then I turned the pouch right side out through the zipper opening.


My son wanted an animal on his pouch so we decided to go with an owl.
He wanted a deer. . .maybe for the next one :)

The yellow is the owl's body,
the grey is for the wings,
the cream is for the eyes,
the brown is for the beak,
and the beads are for the eyes.


I hand-stitched the owl onto the pouch with embroidery floss.


And I used beads that had a hole in the center because they make great eyes.


And here is the cute owl. . .


I also added a bead to the zipper to make it easier for opening :)


Now my sweetie is all ready to take his coloring supplies to church :)


And of course after making his 
I thought to myself that I needed one for holding my mints
since I always have loose mints floating around making a mess of my purse :)

Here is mine. . .


I sewed on a small doily and applied a purple shabby flower to the bottom corner.
In the center of the flower is a diamond bead.


And I added an old safety pin and bead to the zipper.


Perfect for my mints, Chapstick, and other items that are loose in my purse.


Happy day to you, my friends!
Love, hugs, and blessings to all.
I hope each and every one of you had a nice Labor Day - did you do anything special?

* * * * *

Linking up with:
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

28 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

You are brilliant, Stephanie. What an easy way to deal with the zipper! And what a fun little bag to carry his church supplies. :-)

Debby Ray said...

I agree with Judy...you are brilliant! Although I can sew many things, it's the ideas that I seem to have trouble coming up with...lol! These are both adorable! Hope you had a good Labor Day weekend!

Sola Scriptura said...

What a cute project! I think that would make a wonderful holder for some of my knitting embellishments! You inspire me, thanks.

My cozy ✄ little space said...

Just lovely stephanie! your blog are so warm encouraging and also creative...just love to read here...thanks for sharing..blessings...soraya

mamasmercantile said...

Two beautiful makes, both as delightful as each other. Have a truly wonderful week.

Loretta said...

Stephanie, this is lovely! I like them both. Thanks for sharing.

Mehrll said...

Such a nice project. It has been a long time since I have sewed any zippers. You make it look so simple.
Thanks for the sharing your ideas with us.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is the niftiest idea! I've made lots of zipper cosmetic bags and wristlets but not a pouch like this! I need one for my pens and pencils. So much fun to embellish, too. Thanks for showing us how! Hugs!

Anne Payne said...

These are so cute! I bet your sons pouch will start a fad at church and you will making them for all the kiddos. And yours, too. I pinned them both. Hope you don't mind :)

josephinaballerina said...

Hi Stephanie!
Away from my blog for just a few days and it seems like years. Really.
What a neat-o idea for your purse and his markers. And felt makes the whole thing so easy!
Smiling at you from Maryland, m & jb

Simply Linda said...

Awe!! That is all I can muster, with all apologies..my brain is kinda of fried with school/homework (wink and smiles). Blessings

Mindy Whipple said...

Such a cute pencil pouch! I also like that both the pouches are felt and will be quiet to use in church. Have a great week!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh how fun! And so much quieter and cuter than a plastic bag! Love your mint pouch too! You know I don't love to sew....but I did just get a new sewing machine, so maybe I'll start! How would you rate these for a beginner?

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie ... such a cute project. I remember many years back making our son a denim marble bag to hold all of his colored marbles. I used denim from an old pair of his Wrangler blue jeans. He was so proud of his marble bag. He is in his early 40's and still has that marble bag. I think we find it is the little things that touch the heart and mean the most. I am sure your little one is so very proud of his little treasure. Blessings & Hugs ♥ Teri

Debbie Harris said...

Stephanie, those are too cute! He will love carrying his pencils in that fun bag, and yours is precious.
You always make everything look so easy. :-)
Sweet post. Sorry it took me all day to get here.
I trust you had a wonderful day?
Love you, mom

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, these are a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e., Stephanie! You are so creative! xo Karen

vic said...

Oohh Stephanie this is just adorable!!!! You really make the sweetest of things love it :)
Hugs
Vic x

Rita said...

Cute, I love it!

Robyn said...

Oh, these are so cute, Stephanie - and so practical, too! You made the whole process seem easy enough for even me, lol.
I love your creativity, my friend. Have a wonderful day. Hugs. xox

Anna said...

Both beautiful !!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing the tutorial !
Have a fun day !
Hug
Anna

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Dear Stephanie, such pretty little
pouches. They are so practical and I love that you shared the tutorial. Happy September. Hugs, Linda

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love them both! I don't have the patience to do such work anymore! Lovely to see how you do it though!

Blackberry Lane said...

So cute and very useful!

Debbie Borthwick said...

These are adorable, Stephanie, and so easy to make! Your son must be thrilled with his, so much better than a plastic bag. He'll be in style going to church now!
Debbie :)

Maria said...

I'm sure your son loves the pouch for his markers...so sweet! And, your pouch for your mints is a shabby beauty...love it! Take care, hugs!:-)

kitty said...

What a darling owl pouch for your sweetie pie son. You are so creative, Stephanie. Your little pouch looks just as sweet as you. I love both of them! xo

SarahGeorge said...

Wow Stephanie! The one you made for your son is a cutie :) Loved yours too :) What a beautiful present!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I just made one for a 4-yr. old grandson, to carry crayons, a doodle pad, a toy zebra and some "bugs." My fabric has zoo animals on it, so I followed that theme for the bag's contents. I lined the bag, using stitch-witchery to join the two different fabrics. Thanks for sharing your lovely project ideas and your great, simple instructions and photos! Sharon aka Grammy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...