Thursday, September 18, 2014

Fried Peach Hand Pies

Hello friends!
Have I told you lately how thankful I am for all of you?
And let me just say that each and every one of you are a peach :)

Speaking of a peach. . .Diane from Lavender Dreams
shared some fried peach pies on her blog this week.
Well, she didn't actually share them with her readers,
but she did share a tasty looking photo that had my mouth watering - thanks Diane!
I have never had fried peach pies - am I the only one in the dark?
I decided to change that and whipped up some fried peach pies that very night.
Oh boy. . .I can't believe I have been missing out on these for so long!
If you are like me and have never had fried peach pies
than I suggest you make some. . .now! :)


I couldn't find a recipe online that I liked
so I decided to mix my peaches with ingredients that I enjoy.
Let me share with you. . .


Ingredients needed:

- Peach filling -
2 large peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1 - 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon water

In a medium saucepan, add the peaches and mash with a fork.
Add all of the other ingredients and cook over medium heat for 7 - 10 minutes,
or until bubbly and thick.
Set aside and cool.

- Pie Crust -
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
4 -5 tablespoons water

In a medium bowl stir together flour, salt, and sugar.
Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
Slowly add the water and gently mix with a fork.
Roll the pie dough out on a floured surface.
Cut out 6-inch circles (I used a salad bowl).
Repeat this process until the dough is used up - I got 6 circles.

Spoon the peach mixture onto the circles (don't fill it too full), 
fold the circle in half and seal the edges with a fork- 
if the dough is sticky dip the edge of the fork into cold water before pressing the dough together.

Heat up 1/2 cup vegetable shortening in a skillet, add the hand pies
and fry on each side for 3 - 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
Place on paper towels and gently dab at the grease
then transfer to another plate and sprinkle with granulated sugar.


Enjoy the sweet taste of peaches in these delicious fried pies.
Visit Diane's blog and see her yummy fried pies that inspired me :)


Have a delightful day, dear friends!
Sweet as a peach. . .


My Ebony has a little message for you. . . :)


* * * * *

Don't miss out on the Tea Cup and Mug Exchange.
Click on the link below for all of the details.

* * * * *

Linking up with:
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

41 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

When I saw your blog come up in my blog list...I thought that looked like a fried pie! heehee! I was surprised at how many had never had one. They are quick and easy and you can make a smaller amount (than a whole peach pie). Yours look prettier than mine! They are mouth watering right out of the frying pan, aren't they? I'm glad you tried them AND liked them! Using a pie crust instead of the biscuit dough makes them even flakier. Thanks for the shout out! Sweet...no sugar needed...HUGS, Diane

Sola Scriptura said...

That looks delicious!

Debbie said...

drooling....just drooling!! i. must. make. these.

thank you for your recipe, you are a peach as well!!!

Robyn said...

I've never heard of these either, Stephanie, but wow, they look so delicious!
I like the ingredients you chose - they complement one another so well. Great photos too, my friend!
Such a cute kitty! Have a great day, dear friend. xoxo

Blackberry Lane said...

Blessings to you and Ebony today. I have long loved fried peach pies and yours look delicious. A nice treat for a fall day.

Debby Ray said...

Fried pies are a staple here in the south although I rarely have them and have never made them...I guess 'cause I'm not a REAL southern girl...lol! BUT I LOVE THEM!! Never had peach, only apple, but OMGoodness these look AWESOME! I may just have to find the time to make some! Thank you for sharing :)

Marci Smith said...

Yum, yum, yummy!! Those look so delicious. If only I could crawl through my computer screen and eat the ones you made. :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. It's a keeper!
xoxo

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Stephanie, I want one of those (well, let's tell the truth - TWO of those) right this minute! I posted a relatives apricot hand pies a long time ago. Made with dried apricots for when stone fruits are not in season. But right now I've got some sweet little organic peaches sitting on my counter, so ...

Shoregirl said...

Mmmm -- your peach pies are making my mouth water! Last fall I made Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies -- bet you'd like them as well!

My cozy ✄ little space said...

another lovely post as always! you too have a blessed weekend friend!

Debbie Harris said...

Sweet Ebony made me chuckle. :-)
Boy, do those peach pies ever look andsound wonderful, Stephanie.
I will have to give these a try for sure as I know your father will love them.
Thanks for sharing these with us.
Love you, mom

mamasmercantile said...

I have never heard of a fried peach pie but they certainly look good.

Poppy said...

Stephanie, these look scrumptious! I've had fried cheese pies and spinach/cheese pies, but never peach pies. Beautiful food styling! Thanks for sharing!

Happy weekend!

Poppy

Valerie said...

Oh my! Those look heavenly. I love making fried apple pies in the autumn.
Blessings,
Valerie

Amy Jo said...

Oh My goodness those look good!!
I may give them a try.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Sylvia said...

Yes, peach pies, apple pies and even chocolate pies! Love them.

Merlesworld said...

Sounds yummy.
Merle.........

magnoliasntea said...

Goodness gracious, those fried peach pies look scrumptious! I haven't had peach in several years as we make pear (from our tree) and chocolate fried pies. Thank you for sharing your method, Stephanie. Have a great evening!

Mrs R said...

Oh gosh! Those look absolutely delicious! Thank you for including the recipe for us! :-)

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

These look so delicious! I would love to make peach baked goods but never seem to pick the right peaches...do you have variety you use? Ebony is a precious kitty!

Teri said...

Oh, Stephanie these look absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing. Hugs ♥ Teri

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, I could live on these! Your family is very lucky, Dear Stephanie, to have you to make such wonderful treats for them! How sweet is your little kittie? Thank you for the recipe! Hugs xo Karen

Anne Payne said...

YUM!!! I know they are delicious just by looking at the picture. I've never made them myself (too lazy) but I have had them store bought (GASP!!!) I know, not the same :) Yours would be MUCH better. I did make a Kentucky High Day Pie last night though. Now that is an autumn treat in our home. Have a great day, dear girl!

Conniecrafter said...

I have not heard of them either but it sure does sound good and your pictures make we went to crawl through my monitor :)

Maggie Ann said...

Hi Stephanie, Your photos are as beautiful as the pies! I am making an effort to just enjoy homemade applesauce instead of more sugary treats. I only wish to lose 6 to8 lbs....but I have to be consistent. I cannot wait to be well. Thanks for your sweet & caring comment that you left me. I hope your day is perfect! Maggie ann

Marcia Pilar said...

Looks DELICIOUS! Lover that last pic of Ebony. :)
I can't believe I was stopping by today to PLEAD with you for an autumn teacup exchange, and you're actually hosting it again. I hope I'm not too late.
xoxo

Marcia Pilar said...

K, meant to write LOVE that last pic of Ebony. :)

Maria said...

I've never had a fried peach pie before, but they certainly do look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! And, what a darling photo of Ebony...too cute! Take care and have a wonderful weekend, hugs!

Jazzmin said...

Stephanie, these look to die for! I'm so glad you got to enjoy the goodness of what looks like an amazingly delicious dessert. I am tempted to get in the car right now and go buy some peaches even though it's late at night :) I am definitely bookmarking this. These three words- fried, peach, pie- are already wonderful alone but adding them together looks like it makes for a dangerously good combination. And I'm from the capital of fried everything so all the more reason to try these! ;)

And your photos are always so beautiful. You should be a food photographer.

Having a delightful and blessed weekend, sweet friend!
Love and hugs to you,
Jazzmin

p.s Love seeing your kitty's sweet little face. She is so pretty.

Nina said...

Hi Stephanie,
I haven't fried fresh peaches either - These pies looks really delicious ... Thank you for the recipe! Happy weekend to you, my friend!

Miss Val's Creations said...

I was in the dark too Stephanie! I know people fry everything these days but this is the first I heard of peaches. Your pies look so delicious! Ebony is adorable. :)

Simply Linda said...

I remember seeing this the other day, but don't remember posting a comment (sigh)--anyways--I love fried peach pies. Ok, apple are the best though..thanks for sharing. Blessings

Katie R. said...

Mmmmmm! These sound so good! :-D
I am going to have to make these sometime!
~Katie@ liliesofgrace.blogspot.com

Ida said...

I just got a bunch of peaches from some people at our church today. Looks like I might be making Fried Pies tomorrow.

Ida said...

Oh rats I forget to say, Hi to your Ebony, what a pretty kitty you are.

Dayle Allen Shockley @ A Collection of Days said...

My mom makes the best fried fruit pies. These look wonderful.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

With all the baking I do, can you believe I have never had a hand pie?! I will work on fixing that very soon, so next time I can reply with my favorite hand pie!

Mehrll said...

I like fried pies, but have never made them. These look great and not too complicated. Thanks. Will have to try them.

forgetmenots blue said...

Ooo looks yummy x

kitty said...

Oh would I ever love to share one of these with you, sweet girl, over a cuppa tea!

Desarae said...

Yummy, these look and sound delicious! Thanks for sharing you tummy tempting pictures and recipe. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...