Saturday, October 04, 2014

52 Little Lessons From Les Miserables - Book Review

"There is one spectacle greater than the sea;
that is the sky;
there is one spectacle greater than the sky;
that is the interior of the soul."
- Les Miserbles -

Whether on stage, page, or screen, few stories engage the heart
quite the way Les Miserables does.
From the agony of Fantine's sorrow to the beauty of Jean Valjean's broken spirit,
it is a story that reminds us only love can overcome the devastation of life's suffering.
In '52 Little Lessons from Les Miserables,'
author Bob Welch illuminates the spiritual themes woven throughout Victor Hugo's
magnificent story of anguish, mercy, suffering, and forgiveness
in the face of adversity.
Through this collection of insights, we remember Jean Valjean's transformation,
the bishop's compassion, and the redemption that flows from it.
We are reminded that even the coldest heart can thaw,
and that mercy can transform us all from the worst to the best versions of ourselves.
Through the individual plights of the bishop, Valjean, Fantine, Cosette,
Javert, Marius, and Eponine, Welch reminds us that Christlike love,
at its purest, restores us all in beautiful ways.


My Thoughts

I flew through the pages of this book, craving more from each chapter
and eagerly anticipating the next lesson Bob Welch had in store
through the lives of the characters from Les Miserables.
This is a book that kept my complete attention making it difficult to set down
and once finished made me want to pick it up again for a slower approach,
one that I could savor and glean from.

Each lesson that Welch writes about is a lesson for any reader.
These are lessons that will challenge your walk with the Lord
and make you question your sincerity when worshiping the King of kings.
From love to compassion, 
selflessness to freedom,
grace to faith, 
Bob Welch covers a multitude of characteristics that can change one's life
for the good and honor of Jesus Christ.

The book opened my heart and made me want love at the deepest.

". . .the purest, deepest love is more the stuff of wading through the darkness
of a sewer system beneath the burden of another
than it is flowers and butterflies and knights on white horses
and Chanel No. 5 and sunset smiles.
The stuff that's not clean and trendy,
but gnarled and challenging.
"All noble things," writes Oswald Chambers, "are difficult,'"
( page 152 )

This book is refreshing, encouraging, and challenging.
I highly recommend this book, dear friends.
Each lesson is only 3 - 4 pages long
and a chapter a day is not only a benefit for the you, but also for those around you
because as you read these words of wisdom 
a change for the greater - for the Lord - will begin to take place.

"Nothing lifts Jesus' message of hope more than those who live it out
in the lives of others; nothing disparages it more than those who don't."
( page 22)

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

12 comments:

Terra said...

Your review makes me think I may buy a copy. Thanks for pointing out this book to me.

NanaDiana said...

That book is just a wonderful study about human nature, isn't it? I have read it twice over the years plus have seen the screen play and the movie. xo Diana

Vicky Hunt said...

Sounds like an interesting and inspirational read. I watched Les Miserables...very touching movie. I would like to see the live production of it. I may have to check into this Great review! Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

Blessings, Vicky

Sola Scriptura said...

I love Les Miserables! This sounds like an incredible book.
Hugs to you,
Lauren

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I love 'Les Mis'! I'm surprised I have not come across this precious little book. Thank-you so much for sharing!

Debbie Harris said...

What a great review, Stephanie.
This sounds like another one I may need to borrow, although you know me, I make a mess out of great spiritual growth , so I may have to buy my own book. :-)
Love you, mom

Bethany Carson said...

Sounds like an interesting book to read! I've never read it or Les Miserables, but my sister read the later and told me the highlights... Victor Hugo certainly came up with some good insights and interesting stories!

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like an amazing book.

send flowers to philippines said...

We have tackled Les miserables before in our literature subject, but I actually forgot the story of this.Anyway, nice review, seems like you really are a fan of this book! =)

Sylvia said...

My grandson wanted me to go see the movie with him, I went not thinking I would like it but since I love him I went...I loved the movie, so glad I went!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

I need to read Les Miserable one day! I've seen it live on stage and love the story. :)

Mindy Whipple said...

I will have to check this out Stephanie. The original Les Miserables is such a long read that a follow-up like this is needed to process it all. I ordered the original online and tried to finish it before the movie came out but didn't make it! Love the theme of redemption.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...