Sunday, October 26, 2014

Still, Still With Thee

"Still, Still With Thee" was originally titled "Resting in God"
and was written by Mrs. Stowe while meditating on Psalm 139:17, 18,
especially on the phrase "When I awake, I am still with thee."
It is said that Mrs. Stowe generally arose at four-thirty in the morning
to enjoy the coming of dawn, the singing of the birds,
and the over-shadowing presence of her God.


Still, still with Thee, when purple morning breaketh,
When the bird waketh, and the shadows flee;
Fairer than morning, lovelier than daylight,
Dawns the sweet consciousness, I am with Thee.

Alone with Thee, amid the mystic shadows,
The solemn hush of nature newly born;
Alone with Thee in breathless adoration,
In the calm dew and freshness of the morn.

As in the dawning o’er the waveless ocean
The image of the morning star doth rest,
So in the stillness Thou beholdest only
Thine image in the waters of my breast.

Still, still with Thee, as to each newborn morning,
A fresh and solemn splendor still is given,
So does this blessèd consciousness, awaking,
Breathe each day nearness unto Thee and Heaven.

When sinks the soul, subdued by toil, to slumber,
Its closing eye looks up to Thee in prayer;
Sweet the repose beneath the wings o’ershading,
But sweeter still to wake and find Thee there.

So shall it be at last, in that bright morning,
When the soul waketh and life’s shadows flee;
O in that hour, fairer than daylight dawning,
Shall rise the glorious thought, I am with Thee.
- Harriet B. Stowe -


Grace - the outward expression of the inward harmony of the soul.
- Hazlitt -

The grace of the spirit comes only from heaven,
and lights up the whole bodily presence.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon -

Have a blessed Lord's Day, dear ones!

* * * * *

Linking up with:

Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

26 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Good Sunday morning, my dear friend!
Enjoy a peaceful day with your family. : )

Marta said...

Hello from Spain: I like to wake up to the sound of birds. A great text. Keep in touch

Sola Scriptura said...

Beautiful words and lovely to think about. I really like your bird pictures too!
Hugs to you,
Lauren

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Stephanie! I don't think I've ever heard this song before - Thank you for sharing it. Have a wonderful Lord's Day.

Debbie Harris said...

What a peaceful post today with your music, the bird photos and lovely words to ponder on.
Mrs. Stowe sounds like a wise women to arise early and enjoy the glory of the birds singing, the coming of the dawn, but mostly to enjoy the over-shadowing presence of God.
Early mornings with my Savior are precious in deed.
This was just beautiful, Stephanie.
Love you, Mom

Vicky Hunt said...

Beautiful photos and words. I always enjoy your Sunday posts and look forward to them each week. Prayers for a blessed and beautiful week sweet friend.

Hugs, Vicky

White Lace and Promises said...

I don't think I've ever read this. How beautiful. I'm going to copy and keep this. How refreshing!

Denise said...

Beyond lovely.

Ariëlla said...

I love it!

JES said...

Beautiful! I would love to wake up at 4:30 to hear the beginnings of the day too... One day :) At this point, I just love the idea of it! Your bird pictures are just adorable too! Thank you for the inspiration this morning...

Sylvia said...

Beautiful, Stephanie, I love the verses! Have a blessed day,my friend.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Lovely, Stephanie. I think this is the same woman who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin. Lincoln said she was "the little lady responsible for ending slavery," her book was so convicting to people.
Early morning rising is not something I've attained to; so thankful the Lord still meets with me even if it is later.
But the idea of waking with the birds and enjoying the quiet stillness is beautifully portrayed in this hymn.

Christine said...

Stephanie what a wonderful blog you have and I really appreciate your Christian witness! It is a blessing to read your posts, thank you!
Christine

Julie Corbisiero said...

I love your photo Stephanie of the cute birds and such lovely words! I hope you have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by today!
Julie

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! I liked the background info on the author of this hymn. I can just see her quietly watching the sun come up and praising our creator. Wonderful.
I hope you enjoyed your Sunday rest my friend. Looks like another successful tea/mug exchange!
Blessings,
Ceil

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Stephanie, this is such a peaceful post. I loved everything about it - the birds, the verses, and the music.

Have a lovely week, my dear, and thank you for your thoughts about my father-in-law.

love,
~Sheri

Sandi said...

I am with thee...

You are not alone.

Reassuring and calming. Beautiful!

Dee said...

That was beautiful and such an inspiration. Enjoy the rest of your day... :)

Debby Ray said...

Such beautiful words. I love the quietness it portrays. I too awake nearly every morning around 4:30 and it is my favorite time of the day. Thank you for this lovely inspiration, Stephanie!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Lovely, thank you dear Stephanie.

Mrs. Pepper said...

That is beautiful!

Conniecrafter said...

very sweet pictures to go with your post, hope you are enjoying a great week so far!

Bethany Carson said...

Beautiful thoughts!

SarahGeorge said...

Sweet pictures Stephanie and enjoyed the poem a lot! Wonderful thoughts, reviving us!

Cattails said...

Hi, Such beautiful lyrics and I love the sweet birdie photos. I am an early riser and cherish my quiet time with the Lord in the stillness of the morn.

Mindy Whipple said...

Beautiful collection of words and scripture. Love that Psalm...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...