Saturday, November 22, 2014

Buttermilk Sky - Book Review

Weary of the expectations imposed on her by her strict upbringing,
nineteen-year-old Mazy Pelfrey left her home in the Kentucky mountains
to attend secretarial school in the genteel city of Lexington.
She was sure her life would change - and only for the better.
Everything was supposed to be clear skies from then on.

But business school is harder than she thought it would be,
and the big city not as friendly, until she meets a charming young man 
from a wealthy family, Loyal Chambers.
When Loyal sets his sights on her, 
Mazy begins to see that everything she'd ever wished to have is right before her eyes.
The only hindrance to her budding romance is a former beau, Chanis Clay,
the young sheriff she thought she'd left firmly behind.

Danger rumbles like thunder on a high mountain ridge
when Mazy's cosseted past collides with her clouded future
and forces her to come to terms with what she really wants.


My Thoughts

"Mazy tilted her umbrella against the wind. 
"I predict buttermilk skies tomorrow."
"That makes no sense, Mazy. You can't drink the sky."
"My mother used to say that - it means the clouds are fluffy
and break up easily, like creamy buttermilk."' ( pg. 129 )

Jan Watson has a gift for writing - 
a gift that flows onto the pages of her books and inspires her readers.
The first time I read a book by Jan Watson { Troublesome Creek }
I was blown away by the depth, emotion, and character of her writing.
She instantly became a favorite author of mine.
Jan Watson once again blew me away with Buttermilk Sky.
Her writing seems to draw the reader into her world of the Kentucky mountains
making you feel like you're a part of them, as if your heart beats as one.
The characters in this book are vibrant and full of life - 
they are portrayed in a way that makes you feel like you're right there by their side 
experiencing their ups and downs, the happy moments and the sad.
The humor is charming and will keep you smiling throughout the pages.

Mazy is somewhat naive as she leaves her beloved mountains 
and attends secretarial school in Lexington.
She struggles with staying because of the difficulties of her classes
and she takes into consideration that maybe she isn't cut out to be a secretary.
She has thought it through and is just about to give up and head home
when Loyal Chambers walks into her life and changes everything. . .

Loyal Chamber is everything a girl could want:
charming, handsome, wealthy, entertaining.
And he seems to fit the bill of what Mazy wants in a man.
With a little motivation from Loyal, Mazy is back on track in school
and ready for some changes in her "simple" life.

But then dear, sweet, kind Chanis shows up in Lexington 
expressing his love and adoration to Mazy.
Talk about bad timing!
Mazy has been slowly pulling away from her former beau
and has decided she doesn't want his attention anymore.
She has told herself that Chanis just isn't what she wants.
Poor Mazy, she is beside herself with decisions that need to be made.
She knows what she wants, but her head and her heart aren't matching up -
what is a mountain girl to do. . .

Buttermilk Sky has my vote - it's an impressive and enjoyable book.
Jan Watson fills the pages with love, encouragement, wisdom, and a little bit of suspense.
I truly appreciate and applaud the talent of Jan's writing and imagination - 
she does not disappoint!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author

Jan Watson's first novel, Troublesome Creek, was the 2004 winner 
of the Jerry B. Jenkins Christian Writers Guild Operation First Novel contest.
Buttermilk Sky is Jan's eigth novel.
She lives in Lexington, Kentucky, 
and has three grown sons and a daughter-in-law.

14 comments:

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Sounds like a GREAT book and one I may wish to buy my sister, who graduated from the University of Kentucky in Lexington. It's a beautiful town, and neat to know about it from a different era. Looking very forward to reading this one. Thank you for the helpful and inspiring review!

peabea said...

From your review one I may have to put on my reading list. Taking a break with a book has always been a favorite even as a child. Thanks for sharing. )

Vee said...

I don't know about any of that, but the pretty gal on the cover looks like you! =D

janice15 said...

sounds interesting to me.. Id like to read it.. Happy Saturday with love Janice

Marci Smith said...

I will definitely be adding this to my Pinterest page of books to read! Thanks for sharing. :)

Christine said...

Sounds like my kind of book! I haven't read any books by this author so thank you for the recommendation!
Enjoy your weekend
Christine

Debbie Harris said...

Being the reader that I am NOT, you make this sound like a must read!
Your book reviews are done so beautifully Stephanie, that it makes me want to read more. :-)
Now I just need the time to sit and read.
Well done!
Love you, Mom

Sola Scriptura said...

Sounds like a good read! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, Stephanie.

Scrappy quilter said...

A great review and a wonderful author.

Carol Z said...

Thanks, Stephanie. I enjoyed your review and I think the book would make great reading on a cold winter day.

Susan said...

Sounds very intriguing, Stephanie. I mean, Chanis and Loyal...wowsers. Mazy sounds like a sweet thing, too. And I love the title. Thanks for the thumbs up. Susan p.s. Thanks for visits to my blog. Love them.

Connie said...

Good Evening Stephanie, Thank you for this review, I'll have to put this author on my must read list. I do twice my amount of reading in the winter when there are no gardening and lawn chores to do:) Curling up with a good book is a cold weather treat.

Ariƫlla said...

Thanks for this review. I think it is a good book for a winter evening.

Denise said...

I love stories that are about Mountain people since I'm a city girl.One of My first books I fell in love with when I was about 17 or 18 years old was- Christy- by Catherine Marshall.This book sounds a little bit like Christy.What a lovely opportunity for You and a sweet blessing for publishers to want You to review their books.Love Denise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...