Monday, November 10, 2014

Christmas At Rose Hill Farm - Book Review

Bess Riehl is preparing Rose Hill Farm for her Christmas wedding, 
but her groom isn't who she thought it would be. 
Billy Lapp is far away from his Amish roots working as a rose rustler for Penn State 
and wants nothing to do with Stoney Ridge, his family, or Bess. 
And that suits Bess just fine. 
Why should she think twice about a man who left without a word, without any explanation? 
It's time she moved on with her life, and that meant saying yes to Amos Lapp, 
Billy's cousin and best friend. 
But as Bess and Amos's wedding day draws near, her emotions tangle into a tight knot. 
She loves Amos. 
Yet she can't forget Billy.


My Thoughts

There is nothing quite like curling up by the crackling fire with a cup of coffee
and reading a delightful Christmas story during the beautiful holidays.
I must admit that I begin counting down the days
until I can "officially" open a Christmas book - yes, it's something I eagerly look forward to.

Christmas at Rose Hill does not disappoint.
When I first started the book I was a bit skeptical because the first few chapters
didn't seem to flow - does that make sense?
Have you ever read a book that seems a bit "jumpy" during the first couple of chapters,
but then smooths out once the story begins to roll along?
That's how it was for me when I began reading Christmas at Rose Hill.
But it did not remain that way for long 
and soon I was turning the pages as quickly as I could
because the characters of Bess, Amos, Maggie, and Billy had my complete attention.

Billy, dear Billy, won over my heart.
I must say it took a few chapters for me to begin liking this man
because he is very closed off and cold in the beginning,
almost to the point of being rude and indifferent.
The author, Suzanne Woods Fisher, does a phenomenal job
of writing about the pain and rejection Billy suffered growing up.
The bittersweet story of Billy touched my heart 
in a very powerful and meaningful way;
it's like I could feel the pain and heartache that Billy endured 
and it brought tears to my eyes.
The journey Billy takes is extremely touching and simply amazing.

The other three characters I mentioned are all delightful
and complete the story in a beautiful way.
Bess is a precious woman 
and seems to always have love and kindness pouring out from her heart.
Amos is such a gentle and tender man - a man any young lady would be honored to have.
And Maggie. . .is Maggie!
She is hilarious, full of joy, and had me smiling more than once.

Not only were the characters well portrayed,
but the history and information about certain roses was very fascinating
and made the story even more intriguing.
Christmas at Rose Hill Farm is a wonderful book to read around the holidays.
Actually, it's a wonderful book to read at any time! 

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author

Suzanne Woods Fisher is the best-selling author of the
Lancaster County Secrets series, the Stoney Ridge Seasons series,
and The Inn At Eagle Hill series, as well as nonfiction books about the Amish,
including Amish Peace.
She is also the coauthor of an Amish children's series,
The Adventures Of Lily Lapp.
Suzanne is the Carol Award winner for The Search,
a Carol Award finalist for The Choice,
and a Christy Award finalist for The Waiting.
She is also the columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazines.
She lives in California.
Learn more at www.suzannewoodsfisher.com

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Stephanie,

I love Christmas books too! This sounds like a fun story. I will have to keep it in mind.

-Sarah

carolann said...

I too like reading books. I have read allot of Amish books.

Will have to get this one.

Have a great day!

Teri said...

Dear Stephanie ... I love books about the Amish and I love books about Christmas. I am sure that I would love to read this book. I have put it on hold at our town library. Thank you for sharing. I hope that you have a blessed week. Hugs ♥ Teri

Dianna said...

Hello Stephanie,

I, too, enjoy reading Christmas stories...any time of the year. ;-) This sounds like a very good read. I do enjoy novels about the Amish life. Your review was great!

Mrs. Smith said...

Hi Stephanie! Thinking about you and wanted to stop in and say hello. I am with you about reading Christmas stories! After seeing your post, I plan to read this one - thank you for the recommendation! Hugs, dear friend!! :)

Mehrll said...

I have a big collection of Amish fiction books since I was born and lived the first eight years of my life near Lancaster, PA. This sounds like another wonderful story of love and their way of life. Thanks for sharing it.

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds amazing, I love a good Christmas book.

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Stephanie, I curling up a reading a good book with a cup of coffee too! Thanks for suggesting this book.
Julie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love to read this. I love books set at Christmas time. Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs!

Debby Ray said...

Hi Stephanie! This does sound like a good book. I think it looks like it would make a good Hallmark Channel Christmas movie too! :)

Sola Scriptura said...

I always enjoy reading a good Christmas novel too. It's hard to believe it will be Christmas just next month!

kitty said...

Thanks for your thoughtful review of this book, Stephanie. It sounds like I would enjoy this one,too. I'm wondering if I've read some by this author already. Her name sounds familiar. I'm going to go check out some of her other books. I'm ready for some Christmas reading cheer! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...