Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Holiday Wrapping Paper Wreath

And you thought gift wrap was only for presents. . .


This cheerful, festive wreath is made out of good ol' wrapping paper
and is rather easy to make, my friends.
It just takes a little time and practice making the bows
and before you know it you'll be swimming in the delightful curly things.
Just look at my helper, Ebony. . .she is about to jump into the pile.
And by helper I mean she was trying to EAT the bows!


As you know, Christmas items are already available at most stores!
If you don't have any wrapping paper on hand 
than just hop, skip, walk, run, bike, or drive
to a store nearby where you can purchase some pretty paper.
Or better yet, forget the hopping, skipping, walking, running, biking, and driving 
and check out the gift wrap that Shutterfly has.
They have the cutest paper that you can personalize with pictures - yes, it's darling!
I know the grandmas in this family would love it!

Okay, now that you've picked out your gift wrap,
 let's move onto the "how-to" for making this DIY wreath.


Items Needed:

wrapping paper 
18-inch round wreath
scissors
string, yarn, ribbon - whatever works for you
hot glue gun and glue

The wooden wreath that I used was purchased at Hobby Lobby and is flat.
If you don't have one nearby, any craft store should do.
Also, thicker wrapping paper curls better and makes the bow fuller
whereas thin paper curls too tightly.


Cut a strip of wrapping paper that is 14-inches in size,
fold it in half, then cut several squares from the folded strip of paper.


For an 18-inch wreath you will need 31 - 35 folded squares.



Gently fold the bottom up to about 2-inches away from the fold
- do not crease -
and cut strips that are about 1/2-inch in size.
Do not cut to the top!
You want to leave a small amount uncut at the fold.

* * Tip * *
{Smaller strips curl better - larger strips don't hold the curl.}


Now unfold the folded square.
See how my center is uncut?


Fold the small strips accordion style, 
back and forth, back and forth.
Use a piece of ribbon or yarn to tie a knot in the center.


On the wrong side of the paper 
{mine is double-sided so the stripes are the wrong side for me},
angle the blade of your scissors and gently, very gently, 
pull towards yourself to create a curl.
Angling the blade is very important, if you don't then you will get a round curl
rather than a corkscrew type curl.
If you haven't tried this before, it's okay to do a few practice rounds.
** Make sure you do not cut yourself! **


You will tear a few pieces, but don't let that discourage you.
Practice makes perfect and if a couple of strips tear off 
then the other remaining curls will hide the tears.
Soon you will have a perfect-looking curly bow.


Once your bows are made you can create a beautiful and unique holiday wreath.
Apply a little bit of hot glue to the knot on the bow
and press down onto the wooden wreath.


To finish my wreath
I attached a vintage handmade card which I printed off from Antique Images.
 I applied the card to some Christmas card stock and added a strip of vintage lace.
Then, I hung it from the center of the wreath
by taping it to the back.




Now that your wreath is made you can hang it up in your home
for some lovely Christmas cheer.
And I'm sure you probably realize this,
but your wrapping paper wreath is an indoor wreath.


One last thing. . .
you can also use the pretty bows for dressing up Christmas packages.


You know those little scraps of paper that are left behind and end up in the trash?
Well, don't throw them away!
Instead use them to make a bow for the gift you just wrapped!


They also look great on gift bags.


Happy wrapping and creating, sweet friends!


I shared this wreath tutorial two years ago on my blog.
You can check out the "original" here.

Blessings and hugs to each one of you!

* * * * *

Linking up with:


Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

63 comments:

Diane said...

How fun! Your wreath turned out great. Good pattern selection!

Debbie Harris said...

Good Morning! I told you I was going to rush right over to see your wreath, and WOW! Stephanie, it all looks so beautiful and festive! Makes me want to decorate. I need a little push to get going this year, so this just might do it. :-)
Your tutorials ALWAYS make things look so simple.
Just beautiful, Stephanie!
Have a most beautiful and blessed day!
Love you, Mom

kitty said...

What a great tutorial, Stephanie! I love this idea for a wreath, but also for the pretty bows for a package. Thanks for this wonderful idea. You're just so crafty, my friend, and your setting is so pretty. Hugs and blessings sent to you.

Nurdan Kanber said...

It is a very handsome wreath Stephanie!
I jut love it ♥ Thanks for the tutorial ♥

Kelly_Deal said...

Beautiful Stephanie! So creative! Your kitty is precious too. She reminds me of Harry, black cat the family had growing up.

Ariëlla said...

I love it ( and also that black cat).

Susan Newbigging said...

What an awesome idea!! The wreath is gorgeous. It amazes me how creative people are.
I just found your blog and am your newest follower.

Francine said...

What a fun project! I was thinking as I was reading that I would have to put it inside and I read your warning that it was an indoor wreath. It would not last long at all outside! :)

Elizabeth said...

This is something I am going to try, Stephanie. Thank you!
Sadly I don't have a cat to help me!

Bethany Carson said...

The wreath is beautiful! You did a lovely job!

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, so impressive it looks wonderful. I love all of your ideas for the bows, simple but very effective.

Debbie said...

ohhhh i love the wreath and the other ideas!!! i'll bet this would also look pretty with different papers of the same color palette!!!!

Christine said...

Super tutorial Stephani Yours looks gorgeous!
Hope I have time to make one!
Thanks so much!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Wow! I'd love to make a harvest wreath for Thanksgiving. I think bows made this way are way prettier than the bags of squashed bows they sell for Christmas.

I'm not sure I quite understand the cutting/folding past of the directions, though. Hum... Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens!

On a serious note, please pray for my husband, Ray. BIG misunderstanding by a student of what he said. (Ray is a school bus driver.) He told the girls NOT to wear short skirts the next day as they were to have an evacuation drill from the bus. A student went home and told her parents the Mr. Ray told the girls to wear short skirts. Sigh. The Board of Ed won't let him work until it is cleared up. Please pray it is cleared up quickly? Thank you, dear.

Shoregirl said...

Oh my!! What a genius idea and so adorable!! I wouldn't have thought to use wrapping paper like that -- thanks for sharing this adorable idea!

Regine Karpel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monika MW said...

Wow,just beautiful. Lovely idea. Thank you very much for sharing.Hugs.

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

You are soooooooo clever, now just look at that perfection - what a NEAT idea, love love love it!

Of course if I attempt this it won't look a thing like yours, haha, tutorials and me? Yikes. But I must try, because it is AWESOME!!!

NanaDiana said...

Well, if that isn't the cutest thing I ever saw done with wrapping paper!!!! I love this idea. What a fun project and I am just loving the way it turned out. Thanks for the tutorial on it. xo Diana

Cattails said...

Your wreath is very pretty!

annepayne said...

That is a darling wreath! I am always amazed at the crafts you come up with. How wonderful it must be to be so creative! I probably am not patient for this one but I do like the idea of making goodies for packages :) Hope you're staying warm...{{hugs}}

Things and Thoughts said...

So wonderful Stephanie! I'm so glad when I can create things from nothing and your wreath looks gorgeous made with a lovely wrapping paper. Bravo!!!Beautiful detailed photos, thank you and ...Ebony!
Hugs
Olympia

Sola Scriptura said...

What a fun and festive craft project! Thank you for sharing, Stephanie!

magnoliasntea said...

Wow, Stephanie, my jaw just dropped when I said that. Your wreath looks really fun and very festive. What a great project. And I love the idea of it not costing an arm and leg. ;) Have a great day!

Libby said...

Stephanie~ This wreath is absolutely beautiful :) So cute! I love wreaths (they're one of my favorites) and I just may have to make one of these sometime. Thanks for sharing the step-by-step pictures in your post- and your cat is so cute :)

Hope you have a beautiful day!

Hugs and blessings to you,
Libby

Vee said...

Love it! So pretty and festive. Depending on the gift wrap used, the look could change a lot, too. I had no idea that one could find cardboard wreath forms either. I've been living under a rock!

Merlesworld said...

That's a very pretty wreath.
Merle...........

Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a darling wreath, Stephanie! I just love this! What a great way to use up all that leftover wrapping paper I always seem to have on hand. Very nice tutorial and I just love your sweet vignette! Thanks so much for this - my whole family is getting new wreaths for the holidays! Hugs xo Karen

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

As soon as I saw this I had to pin it on my I Love Wreaths board! It's fabulous!

Mari said...

That is just adorable, and so creative! I like the double sided paper, it adds an extra touch to the wreath.

Nikki said...

I LOVE this idea! So pretty!

Mindy Whipple said...

Looks just like curls of peppermint candy! How creative and cute : )

Dee said...

Wow, just wow! That is one beautiful project and I love the way it turned out. Have a blessed day... :)

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Ambitious! Looks like fun. I bet your son enjoyed helping you make this. ~ Abby

Debbie @ Dewdrop Gables said...

Your wreath is so beautiful, Stephanie! The curly bows look wonderful on the gifts, too.
Debbie :)

Vicky Hunt said...

Now if that isn't the sweetest wreath! What a great idea. I love the idea of making bows for packages too since the ones you buy are super expensive or all bent and smashed in the bags. These are so much prettier. I love to curl ribbon like this too and it would look nice to mix some in with the paper curls...:) Have a blessed evening my friend.

Hugs, Vicky

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I think it's so festive and happy! Love the colors!
It's sweet that your Mom comments and has a blog!
warmly,
deb

Scrappy quilter said...

That is so cute.

Mrs R said...

Love the wreath Stephanie! I am not planning on taking many Christmas decorations with me to the NC apartment so DIY projects are on my radar. This wreath will be a must! Your red and white striped gift wrap looks like peppermint candies! I wonder if I could use a cardboard ring instead of a wooden one? I know I have one somewhere.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This looks like it would be such fun to make! And I could add some little gingerbread men! haha! You did a fantastic tutorial, too! Thanks!

Blessed Serendipity said...

Beautiful wreath and a gorgeous kitty too. I loved my visit here. Hope you have a lovely week.

xo Danielle

Bonnie said...

Your wreath is darling and so cheerful. Sounds fun to make. I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and I was amazed how much wrapping paper and ornaments they have!!! Two TALL isles of ornaments! In fact, the entire store was packed with lovely things.

I am so fond of their store but respect their values even more.

I am amazed at all you do, Stephanie. Love your wreath. Thanks for the inspiration. I need to start thinking about Christmas.

Robyn said...

I love your step by step instructions, Stephanie, and this is something that I can make. So pretty! Your pictures are fabulous as well, talented lady! Christmas will be here before we know it!

Bobbie Lynn said...

A beautiful wreath. Thanks for the tutorial.

Katie R. said...

Cute wreath! I have a black cat too. :-)
~Katie@ liliesofgrace.blogspot.com

Anna said...

Original and beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a great day !
Anna

Algodão Tão Doce said...

Olá amiga, linda inspiração... amei a ideia!!!
Um lindo e abençoado dia!
Beijos Marie.

Lisa said...

Lovely wreath, Stephanie. My daughters would love making this! Thanks for sharing. :)

Marcella Giroldo said...

Pretty good idea! *-*

Join my International Giveaway with OASAP ^^
http://www.mah4021.com/2014/11/oasap-giveaway-sorteio-internacional.html
xoxo :*

Valerie said...

This is so beautiful Stephanie. =) I am putting this one on my to do list for the holidays.
Blessings,
Valerie

Amy said...

This is such a cute idea! I love how pretty it looks once it's all finished. And the colors! Yes, please!

You know what would even be better? Having a craft day with you, this wreath and a cup of hot tea! :-)

I hope you are doing well. I haven't been very active on the blog world lately. It's been rather busy here!

I hope you have a glorious day!
Keep those craft ideas coming...

Hugs and Blessings,
Amy

Linda said...

How beautiful and creative! And it is a plus that Ebony approves. :)

Simply Linda said...

That my dear friend, is a beautiful thing...a keeper for sure!! Waving to Ebony. Blessings

Barbara Neubeck said...

..what a lovely wreath Stephanie.... I love it...
Hugs and Blessings... barb xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my is that ever gorgeous, I just love the paper you chose that is so cool, such pretty pictures of your whole display

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I absolutely love this and will have to see if I can get my mom to help me attempt this! I love crafts, but my patience level is always an issue on success!

Deborah Montgomery said...

So cute, I love it!! And those little curly bows are so pricey in the stores, what a great idea for presents. I am going to bookmark this Stephanie, thank you.

Kate M said...

Wow this is fabulous Stephanie - will definitely have a go at this with Lexie - she will love it too.
Hope you are keeping well - I have had a manic month since coming back off holiday and haven't blogged for over a month - will try and put that right soon.
Take care and God Blesss
Kate
xx

Kara said...

This is such a clever idea! I love how the wrapping paper curls up so pretty, and it looks great on the packages as well. I'll be trying this! I'd love it if you'd link this wreath up today at Creations by Kara.

Artsy VaVa said...

Your wreath is awesome. I would have never thought you could curl wrapping paper the way to curl ribbon. Pinning.

Christie Selken said...

Thanks for the how-to on this beautiful wreath. It really is awesome!

Michelle Katseanes said...

This wreath is so super cute and creative! Thanks for sharing! PINNED!

Contessa EauCrafty said...

How cute it that!? I never knew you could do that with wrapping paper! Thanks for the great ideas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...