Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Motherless by Erin Healy - Book Review

A whispering voice at the back of my mind
reminds me that I've been this way for some times.
Dead, that is. . .

The dead have a very broad view of the living, 
of actions performed out of sight,
of thoughts believed to be private.
I would know.
Losing both parents is a trial no child should endure,
and Marina and Dylan have endured enough.
They deserve the one thing I could never give them: a mother's love.

A mother's love, and the truth.

My children have believed a lie about me for years and years.
After all this time I can still feel their hurt in my heart.
But the tether holding me to them is frayed from years of neglect. . .
and I have to find a way to make my confession before it snaps.

But when the truth comes out, what other beasts will I unleash?

"Why do we lie to the children?" someone asked me once.

"To protect them," I answered.

How terrible it is that they need protection from me.


My Thoughts

Motherless is completely mesmerizing and compelling 
and packed full with mystery, betrayal, intrigue, and redemption.
This book brings to light the heartache, pain, and destruction that comes with lies-
a web of deceit truly holds the liar captive like a spider holding its prey. . .
it damages and hurts those around you as they too are caught up in the web of lies.
As you continue to turn the pages the truth slowly begins to unfold
and what you thought was true really isn't
and what seemed like a lie really is the truth. . .

Motherless took me by surprise. . .in a good way.
When I first began reading I was slightly. . .okay, a lot disinterested 
and must confess that I even sighed once or twice to myself 
as I thought this would be a long, tedious read - well, I was wrong!
You see, the book is part supernatural which is something I am not that in to
when it comes to reading fiction books so from the beginning I was "turned" off.
But the more I read the more I devoured and the more I devoured the more I wanted.
Erin Healy weaves a most compelling story that is rich in detail
and will leave you guessing until the end. . .yes, it really will.
It takes a very special kind of author to be able to write a book
that completely consumes the reader 
yet also leaves the reader barely hanging onto the edge
wondering and guessing what will happen. . .
only to find out that everything that was just read and believed isn't quite as it seemed.

I did have one "issue" with the book
and that is that there was mention of alcohol throughout the book.
I am not for alcohol and this is simply my personal preference.

Also, in Motherless the writing does not exactly follow a pattern
and you will find yourself all over the place,
A paragraph will end and the next one will find you a week after the previous paragraph
and in a different location.
It's fairly easy to follow along, but at times it was a bit much.

All-in-all, Erin Healy does a superb job of creating a spell bounding book.
Her writing is quite memorable and will leave you thinking about the story for some time.
Motherless is a masterpiece!

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author

Erin Healy is the bestselling coauthor of Burn and Kiss (with Ted Dekker) 
and an award-winning editor for many bestselling authors. 
She is a member of ACFW and Academy of Christian Editors. 
Her novels include such thrilling stories asNever Let You GoThe Baker’s Wife
Stranger Things, and Motherless
She and her family live in Colorado. 
Facebook: erinhealybooks 
Twitter: @erinhealybooks

10 comments:

Monika MW said...

Stephanie, thank you very much for sharing. Hugs and blessings to you.

Debbie said...

a very thoughtful book review. I am not able to read long stories as I have memory issue created by a lesion on my brain, I have MS!!

blogs are great for me, entries are usually short enough for me to remember what I have read!!!!

Sola Scriptura said...

I love your book reviews, this book sounds like a lovely surprise.
Have a very happy Thanksgiving. Hugs to you.

Sola Scriptura said...

I love your book reviews, this book sounds like a lovely surprise.
Have a very happy Thanksgiving. Hugs to you.

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, sounds like a great book! I have to have a book like this, something that holds my attention or I get bored.
Thanks for the review! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Zaa said...

I always appreciate a good book review ... I will look for 'Motherless" at "Chapters".... Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving, Sweet Friend...Hugs

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Stephanie, the book sounds like an interesting read once you get going and it catches you.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings always.
Love to you!

Algodão Tão Doce said...


O que nos faz amigos é essa capacidade de sermos muitos, mesmo quando somos dois.
Pe. Fábio de Melo
Obrigada querida pela amizade carinhosa!
Um doce abraço, Marie.

Algodão Tão Doce said...


O que nos faz amigos é essa capacidade de sermos muitos, mesmo quando somos dois.
Pe. Fábio de Melo
Obrigada querida pela amizade carinhosa!
Um doce abraço, Marie.

Anne Payne said...

As always, a great review! I'm not usually into supernatural either but this one sounds interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...