Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Salute Our Veterans and Dutch Apple Pie Bars

. . . Veterans Day . . .

The patriot's blood is the seed of freedom's tree.
- Thomas Cambell -

During a war many soldiers may fall,
but there is not one soldier who fails.
Going out there and fighting is an achievement by itself.
All our soldiers are winners.
Let us salute them!
- Author Unknown -

As Abraham Lincoln said,
"Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere,
who bravely bears his country's cause."
Thank you, Veteran's, for paying the price for our freedom.
This is the land of the free because of the brave.
Honor our Veterans!

* * * * *

Apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, and a sweet crumble. . .
everything a sweet tooth needs.
And apples, pecans, and cinnamon are good for you, right?
So I guess that means this is a "good for you" dessert too :)


I found this recipe on Pinterest which took me to the website
and you can find the original recipe here.


Shall we make some delicious Dutch Apple Pie Bars?
You won't regret it :)

Okay, let's get started. . .

For the crust
1/2 cup pecans, chopped - optional
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Apple Filling
3 1/2 cups apples, peeled and diced fairly small
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

And for the yummy, sweet glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. milk, or a little more, until desired consistency is reached

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
For the crust, stir together pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon.  
Add melted butter until the mixture is moist.
{Reserve 1 cup of the crust mixture for the topping.}
Press remaining crust mixture into the bottom of a 9"x 13" pan 
and bake for 9-11 minutes.

While the crust is baking, prepare the apple filling mixture.
Stir together white sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.  
Add peeled, chopped apples and toss to coat completely.  
When crust is finished baking, spread apple filling evenly over.  
Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over and return to the oven.  
Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.

Let the bars cool completely.
Prepare the glaze by stirring together the powdered sugar, 
cinnamon and milk until desired consistency is reached.  
Drizzle over bars.


Now brew yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy with these amazing apple bars.


Happy baking, friends!

40 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Lovely post, Stephanie, and I'm sure the apple dessert can be considered 'health food.' :-)

silverfeather said...

Your pictures make we want to try this healthy treat real soon! I appreciate your tribute to our veterans...God Bless them all!

carolann said...

Amen for Memorial Day To the Americans.

Debbie Harris said...

God bless our veterans. Thus was a beautiful tribute, Stephanie.
Why, I would have to say those apple bars are right up there on the"healthy" list. :-) The crust sounds wonderful. A cup of coffee with one of these would make for a lovely mid morning break.
Enjoy your day!

mamasmercantile said...

A wonderful tribute. The bars look delicious, I intend to copy down the recipe.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. xoxo

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Thankful for my father and husband who served their country. These bars look delicious.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful tribute Stephanie. The apple crumble looks divine! I LOVE Pinterest for cooking and baking inspiration.

Billie Jo said...

Any recipe from you is one we will try, my friend!
Thank you...
Always a pleasure to visit with you here. : )

Sola Scriptura said...

Stephanie, those apple pie bars look so delicious!! An ideal treat for a cold November day :)

Simply Linda said...

Another beautiful post...thanks for sharing. Blessings

Merlesworld said...

I very fond of cooked apple.
Merle..........

Mrs R said...

Oh gosh, Stephanie, these look so delicious! I have a dumb question - I should know this - when you add a glaze to a bakery item (with milk added as you mentioned), does the bakery item need to be refrigerated? I have wondered if the milk in the glaze would sour???

Vicky Hunt said...

Your desserts always leave my mouth watering...:) These look so tasty and they are fitting for this time of the year. Lovely Veteran's Day tribute. Have a blessed rest of the week!

Hugs, Vicky

Cattails said...

A lovely Veteran's Day post, Stephanie. Thanks for sharing the delicious looking dessert!

Maryann said...

Oh my goodness these look delicious, I'm still looking for recipes to use all these apples we picked, something besides pies and crumbles. I'm trying these soon...like maybe tomorrow :-)

Bethany Carson said...

Good quotes! The apple pie looks scrumptious!

OldFashionGirl said...

Hmmm Yummy! Happy Veterans day to you too dear!

Ariƫlla said...

I think it's good to read how your country honor the soldiers and commemorate them. We all have our people who died for our freedom. Or for someone else freedom.

That apple pie seems great. I just baked an apple pie for my father. After baking, I smeared apricot jam on the holes on top of the cake, where there were no dough strips. I will try your recipe!

kitty said...

What a lovely tribute, Stephanie and the dessert looks amazing! I'd love to sit and share an apple pie bar with you. Love you!

kitty said...

I'm thinking that these bars would be a great dessert for Thanksgiving and wonderful to serve a crowd. One question...did the apples get tender or were they still crunchy? xo

Shoregirl said...

Look delicious!!!

Ceil said...

Hi Stephanie! I hope you had a good Veteran's Day!

How do you keep so slim? You have the most decadent recipes to share, and yet you are in such good shape! I think I would balloon like none other with all these goodies :)
Thank you for sharing your talents in the kitchen my friend. I know you are going to get some cooks going full-tilt.
Blessings,
Ceil

Robyn said...

A beautiful quote and lovely tribute, Stephanie.
Your dish has my mouth watering this morning! I love apple desserts and this one is perfection. Can I please PLEASE be your neighbour!!? lol

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Stephanie - such a wonderful post honoring our veterans. They deserve it so!
Those dutch apple pie bars look wonderful. My mom is having eye surgery today and I am taking potato soup and now am going to make this for dessert. Thank you for the recipe! Have a great day. Hugs

Dianna said...

Oh my, Stephanie! These look so delicious. I will pin the recipe so that I don't forget where it is, and I'll be making them in the future. Oh yum...a nice cup of tea and one of these! Thank you so much for sharing.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks for sharing, Stephanie. It looks yummy!..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Amy said...

Hello!

This looks mighty delicious! I have the recipe saved and will have to try it soon.

I hope you are staying warm and cozy today. I can't believe how cold it is and will be for the next several days. So thankful for my wood stove and how warm it keeps my home.

Hugs to you,
Amy

Mindy Whipple said...

Land of the free because of the brave - indeed. Your apple pie bars look SO good Stephanie. I am wishing I had some apples on hand to try them out this very minute!

Gail Dixon said...

"This is the land of the free because of the brave." Love that! Beautiful post for our veterans and a gift of a delicious recipe for us.

Dee said...

That is one awesome looking apple pie bar. As a matter of fact, excuse me while I run to the store for more apples... :)

Ida said...

Perfect V-Day post and oh that apple dessert looks rich and delicious.

Monika MW said...

Stephanie, lovely post. Your dessert look delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Hugs and blessings to you.

Susan said...

Oh Stephanie, decadent! They look soooo yummy.

Thanks for all your sweet visits. Love them. Susan

janice15 said...

A nice post dear, love the crumble going to give it a try.. with much love Janice p.s. love the music

Jade S said...

Wow, my mouth watered up just looking at the pictures. Great job, looks delicious. I went shopping the other day and the grocery store ran out of peaches! I image people making peachy desserts...now I'm hungry, lol.

Barbara Neubeck said...

... I love the recipe ..... I looks so delicious... xxx Hugs... Barb xxx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a lovely welcome this morning Stephanie, sister in Christ! This time of year unravels my years and makes me a child again, and to gather together with others to celebrate the season and life, that is special.

I want to thank you so much for coming to leave me a comment. You have been to my blog before? Well thank you so much and to leave a comment gives me the opportunity to meet others. Thanks to blogging, some of my best friends are those out in the world with whom I connect in a special way.

Blessings to you on this fine day! Anita

Conniecrafter said...

mmmm, that looks absolutely delicious, Greg has totally given up wheat flours and sugar, wonder how this would be with almond flour and a substitute for sugar, may have to try it out :)

Terra said...

Moving quotes about freedom and the USA.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...