Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Christmas Cat - Book Review

He felt his face flushing as Cara opened the door.
Wearing a garnet-colored knit dress and with her dark hair pinned up,
she looked even prettier than he remembered.
Suddenly he wished he'd thought to bring a hostess gift.
Like a cat.

After years abroad, Garrison Brown finds himself at the home 
of his beloved grandmother who has just passed away.
He must sort out her belongings, including six cats who need new homes.
While he hopes to dispense with the task quickly-
especially since he is severely allergic to cats-
his grandmother's instructions don't allow for speed.
She has left some challenging requirements for the future homes
of her furry friends.

Can he match the cats with the perfect new owners?
And is it possible that he might meet his own match along the way?


My Thoughts

Christmas, romance, cats. . .and more cats - can a holiday novella get any better than that?
I think not :)
If you are a cat lover than this is a book you will thoroughly enjoy.
Frankly, if you're an animal lover 
than I'd say you will more than likely enjoy reading this sweet story.
In my eyes, Christmas books are special and when the holidays draw near 
I begin to scour the bookstores for a delightful and festive Christmas read.
The Christmas Cat definitely meets my criteria.

Garrison Brown has been overseas for several years working in Africa as a missionary.
During his absence his dear Gram has accumulated several cats;
it would appear his Gram was a magnet for abandoned and abused cats.
Gram knew Garrison had a hard time around cats and often teased him saying,
"Did you travel halfway across the globe just to escape my furry felines?" 

Garrison hated cats...maybe hate is too strong of a word-
he simply wanted nothing to do with the furry little beasts.
And now that his precious grandmother is gone
he is left with cats and more cats.
Gram leaves Garrison special instructions about what he needs to do
for her beloved cats and so begins Garrison's adventure
"with the furry little beasts."

Throughout the book the lesson can be learned that when God gives us something to do
(it may not be what we want or desire)
the task should be done with the right heart and attitude
and most importantly it should be done for the Lord.

The Christmas Cat is heartwarming, fun, and rather humorous.
You will find pure enjoyment and sweet laughter while reading this book
during the beautiful Christmas season.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books 
with sales of more than five million. 
She is the author of several Christmas books, including the bestselling The Christmas Bus
The Christmas Dog, and Christmas at Harrington's
as well as The Christmas Pony and A Simple Christmas Wish
She received a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award 
in the inspirational market for her many books, 
including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series and Finding Alice
She and her husband live in central Oregon. 

21 comments:

Cattails said...

Sounds like my kind of book since I have 6 rescued cats! Thanks for the review! Enjoy your day.

Debbie Harris said...

Aww Stephanie... What a delightful book review. You have me wanting to read this and maybe share it with the boys when they come up. :-)
Blessings to you, Mom

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Stephanie!
Just watched the sweetest movie on Hallmark channel last night The Nine Lives of Christmas. Me-ow, I liked it!
Poor Josephine is not used to having the patio door closed. In nice weather I leave it open and she runs in and out all day. Now it's too cold. She goes out and is meowing piteously to come in 90 seconds later. She wants ME to go out with her, but after 90 seconds, I'M meowing piteously to come in! LOL!
xo, m & jb

thesouthernbelleblogs.com said...

I'm thrilled to see someone reviewing this book as I just came across it the other day and thought about picking it up as a holiday read. It has everything that I would want in a book - namely cats. :)

My cozy ✄ little space said...

Hi, im just blogger friend from mrs Denise Oldham...i saw on facebook that she has an heart operation...

here is the link
to her friend, so you can read
the details and pray for her
and her husband

im sorry i message thrue your comment box..but she also has many friends on blogger who dont now

friendly is you can pass this on i will be thankfull

loves soraya

(im sending this message to much people i can..)

https://www.facebook.com/marsha.harwood?fref=ts

Pam Phelps said...

Hi Stephanie, I love having a new book series to look for. I have actually been hungry for some new reading. Thanks so much for sharing. And yes, I like these kinds of books and cats too hehe. Thanks for stopping by on my blog. Love your comments. Your blog is delightful; I am going to enjoying reading it.
Have a lovely day.
Blessings,
Pam

Sarah said...

Stephanie,

Thanks for sharing this review! I love cats and Christmas stories, so I hope to buy this book soon. My sisters and I had six cats at one point when we all lived at home. The Cat on the cover is gorgeous!

Sarah

Anne Payne said...

I love cats but not that many! :) Sounds like a cute story. Hope you're staying warm this weekend.{{hugs}}

Dianna said...

This sounds like a good read...and match for me...I do adore cats. Unfortunately, we live too close a road to have cats outdoors and my hubby doesn't care for cats inside. :-) So I do enjoy others...and reading about them.

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds interesting and I am always up for a Christmas book.

kitty said...

Sounds like a sweet book, Stephanie. I, too, watched the Hallmark movie, The Nine Lives Of Christmas. It was a sweet movie. Do you get that channel? I love their Christmas movies!
Happy weekend, my friend! Hugs!

Mari said...

Sounds like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for the review!

Vicky Hunt said...

I too love Christmas books Stephanie! I have collected so many over the years and have added several new ones to my collection this year. I look forward to reading them. This one sounds like a sweet story. I may have to add one more to my collection. Have a blessed evening.

Hugs, Vicky

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Thanks for the review Stephanie. We've been watching Hallmark movies all week. Last weekend was all about cats. My daughter loves cats.. I'll tell her about this book. Have a great evening.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Sounds like a really cute book. We love to read Christmas stories aloud. We usually read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and The Paper Bag Christmas. I picked up Skipping Christmas the other day. I thought we could start it right away. But my youngest son really wants Thanksgiving to come before we start doing any Christmas things.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love Christmas books and movies. I'll have a stack on the coffee table soon and read as many as I can. This one sounds good, too! Hugs, Diane

Linda said...

Great review. I am a cat lover, so this would be my kind of book. The music on your blog is lovely and soothing. It was very nice of Revell to give you a free copy of the book for an honest review.

My cozy ✄ little space said...

I just wanted 1 blog were i can share many things, because wanted to short internet as much as possible..but i had to make one, only for the lord...

not a fancy one, just where i can share my heart.. blessings

http://greetingsfromarnhem.blogspot.nl/

Diane Higdon said...

Thanks for the great review. I just ordered myself a copy and got an extra for a Christmas gift. Can't wait to get them!!!

Ida said...

Now this sounds like my kind of a book. If you ever loan out, I'd love to read it. You know me, I love romance and of course cats.

Norma Ruttan said...

oh, dear, this sounds like my kind of Christmas book to read. cats are the #1 pet in most of my family! thanks for the book review. you do seem to be multi-talented!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...