Monday, December 29, 2014

The Bracelet - Book Review

There will be several book reviews appearing on my blog
during the next few days.
My usual weekly postings will resume in the New Year.

* * * * *

"There are no secrets that time does not reveal."
- Jean Racine -

Celia Browning dreams of the day when her childhood sweetheart
Sutton Mackay comes home to Savannah after two years in Jamaica
managing his family's shipping interests.
Sutton has all but proposed, and their marriage will unite 
two of the city's most prominent families.
But just as Sutton returns, a newspaper reporter arrives in town,
determined to pry into twin tragedies that took place at the Browning mansion
on Madison Square when Celia was a child.

The unsavory journalist continues to unearth the Browning family's dark past,
and Celia begins to receive threatening anonymous notes,
along with a bracelet imbued with a chilling message.
As the clouds of war gather over Savannah, and her beloved father's health worsens,
Celia realizes that her family's past has the power to destroy her future
and determines to uncover the truth about what really happened all those years ago.

Inspired by actual events in one of Savannah's most prominent 19th-century families,
The Bracelet is the story of a young southern woman whose dreams fracture
under the weight of her family's tragic past.


My Thoughts
This was my first novel from Dorothy Love and
I would say her writing in The Bracelet is solid and concise,
but not exactly spectacular or memorable. . .
There is certainly suspense, romance, and secrets intertwined throughout the chapters,
but unfortunately it was rather simple to figure out the plot and
who was sending the anonymous messages to Celia - 
I had it figured out before I was halfway through the book.
And I was rather disappointed to see that the character involved in the threats
seemed to get away with it even when it came down to a matter of life or death.

Celia, the main female character, is not the type I typically relate to
and unfortunately I didn't find a connection with her.
She is indeed kind and caring and dotes upon her father,
but I also found her to be spoiled, too perfect, and something else, 
something I can't quite put my finger on. . .
Sutton, the main male character, is certainly a kind gentleman with a big heart for Celia,
but once again I did not connect with him.
These are minor issues, but connecting with the characters is a big deal for me
and if I can't find some common ground with them than the story falls short.

The southern history was fascinating and I applaud Dorothy Love
for doing a wonderful job of portraying Savannah, Georgia during 1858.
There is much talk of a war {the Civil War} taking place among the homes in Savannah
and I found the thoughts about the war to be quite interesting
and from a good view point.

All-in-all there was a little bit of excitement throughout the book,
but most of the time the story and characters fell flat.
I have read many books over the years,
books that still stand out in my mind because they were unforgettable,
but The Bracelet is, sad to say, forgettable.

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
A native of west Tennessee, Dorothy Love makes her home in the Texas hill country
with her husband and their golden retriever.
An accomplished author, Dorothy is known for her Hickory Ridge novels among others.

14 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I am finding that more and more books I read have very simple plots where the reader knows the ending well before you get to the end of the book. I have definitely read a few of those lately. I want a book that grips me from the opening page right until the end, don't you?

Christine said...

I appreciate your honest review, Stephanie!
Sometimes, if the writing is good, you can overlook the obvious ending but it's hard to enjoy. Novel if you can't relate to the protagonist.

Anna said...

Seems interesting...
Have a Happy and Inspiring 2015 !!!!!
Hug
Anna

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I read a book this summer whose story was MUCH bigger than the author's ability to write, so that made it a must-read, hard-to-put-down book. It's a shame that some stories fall into the wrong hands! It's good to read many books to compare and contrast, and you have that down pretty well!

Blessings to you today, Anita

Miss Val's Creations said...

I'm sorry to hear this book lacked luster. I tend to stop reading novels half way through when the excitement is not there. It does sound like a predictable story.

Algodão Tão Doce said...


Olá amiga...Feliz ano novo!
Seguimos nossa caminhada na construção de um mundo mais justo, fraterno, humano, harmonioso e de doação.
Todos somos promotores da Paz...que começa em nossos corações e se estende a tudo que nos rodeia!!!
Obrigada por fazer parte da minha história de vida!
UM ABENÇOADO 2015!!!!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

This might be a good book for someone interested in Southern history, maybe? I love learning about the civil war, but I am a Yankee, so only learned one side growing up in New England. I loved 'Gone With the Wind' for its depiction of events from that view, although I abhor the idea of slavery. I think it is important to learn all aspects of history, though, and not a one-sided view. The artwork is lovely :) xo Karen

Birgitta said...

Best wishes for the new year Stephanie!

Sola Scriptura said...

I love your book reviews. Thank you for taking the time to share your views with us. I hope you have a very happy new year.

Debbie said...

a good, honest book review!!!! I guess not all books are going to be winners but I think this helps you to appreciate those awesome ones even more!!

Tori Leslie said...

Thanks for the review. Sounds very interesting. BTW, have a great new year!

Monika MW said...

Stephanie!
Have a happy and healthy New Year 2015!!!
Hugs to you.

Terra said...

I enjoy your book reviews and always like to find another book or author to read. This book does not sound of interest to me.

Carol Z said...

Appreciate your review. I'm a fan of Savannah and know I would enjoy the history, but I don't think the book is for me. Wishes for a year of blessings, large and small.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...