Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Promise - Book Review

There will be several book reviews appearing on my blog
during the next few days.
My usual weekly postings will resume in the New Year.
Looking forward to catching up with you, friends!

* * * * *

Mallory's search for happiness leads her to a faraway place.
There she finds heartache, betrayal - and danger.

Mallory Hammond is determined that no one 
will stand in the way of her goal - to save a life.
She had that chance years ago, and she failed to take it,
leaving her adrift and in search of the real meaning of her life.
Finally, she meets a man online from a volatile corner of the world
who offers her a chance to find that purpose.
But she will have to leave everyone she loves behind in order to take it.

Tate Webber has loved Mallory for many years.
He understands that Mallory will never be happy with him
until her deepest heart's desire is satisfied.
When Mallory decides to travel across the world to fulfill her dreams,
Tate begs her not to go but tries to give her the space she needs.
Mallory embarks on her dangerous journey only to discover 
how swiftly and easily promises can be broken.
And Mallory can only pray that she will make it alive.

Inspired by actual events, The Promise is a riveting story
that asks the question: how far will we go for love?



My Thoughts
I was extremely disappointed and disgusted with The Promise.
This was my first novel from Beth Wiseman and it will be my last.

I never understood where the author was coming from spiritually speaking.
Mallory has no faith and doesn't seem to have any desire to understand God.
Tate is a devoted Catholic yet he sleeps with his girlfriend {Mallory} 
and wants her to move in with him.
Ismail and Soraya are Muslims and are engaged to one another,
but they are also sharing the bed before marriage.
I don't appreciate the fact that intimacy outside of marriage was portrayed
and even encouraged throughout the book.

I was disappointed that the Quran was mentioned the most throughout the book 
with an emphasis on what it said rather than the written Word of God, the Bible.
The way the author talked about Catholics, Muslims, and Christians
seemed like she was saying all religions are the same 
and it just depends on which religion we're born into.
The author was never clear on who the one and only God is - 
His love, mercy, caring, and forgiveness was never brought to light
and more importantly, salvation through the shed blood of Jesus was never mentioned.
When Jesus was mentioned he was mentioned as only a prophet which is what the Quran says.
There was no emphasis on true Christianity 
so I am confused as to why this book is labeled under Christian fiction.
To finish it off the author used a nasty cuss word towards the end of the book
which was absolutely not necessary!

Have we, believers of Jesus Christ, conditioned ourselves to just accept the ways of the world?
Do we think a cuss word here and there 
or unmarried couples sleeping with one another is okay?
Do we simply bypass our convictions just so we can read a good storyline?
When I pick up a Christian fiction book I always feel safe opening the pages
because I know it will be clean and wholesome,
but this book was the opposite. . .

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this book to my readers 
for no one can take away from it that there is one way of salvation 
through Jesus Christ and that He is the one and only true God - 
the God that the Bible presents.

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

9 comments:

sweetvintageofmine said...

Hi Stephanie, Though I don't read many books outside of the Bible and study books...I found this very interesting. Thank you for standing up for the true Christian belief of the Word of God. The world mixes all "religions" together because it's the political thing to do...but we know what the real truth is...Jesus Christ, the son of the living God. Thanks for visiting...Happy New Year~~~Blessings for 2015 Roxie

Maggie Ann said...

Thanks for your honesty in telling the truth about this book and its contents. Hopefully you saved many from reading it. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord....I am so glad to have salvation through God's only Son, the LORD Jesus. Your review of t his book makes me thankful for the Grace L. Hill books. You could know the truths she brought out were biblical and touched the heart.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wonderful review Stephanie and so true what you say.. we read books to be uplifted and encouraged in our faith in the LORD Jesus, so seems like someone majorly misnamed this book...no promises kept, it would seem.
Thanks so much for popping over to my blog with an encouraging comment :D you are a blessing, Shaz in Oz.x

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good evening dearest Stephanie, I will come via email, as I see you wrote to me! Back in a few...Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Sweet friend, thank you for visiting my blog post. Peace to you as we enter into a new year! It has been a true blessing to meet you and to get to know you! Anita

bj said...

Have a wonderful break for awhile..as soon as I get the rest of my Christmas posted, I am taking a rest, too.

kitty said...

I so appreciate your honest book review and your convictions on not recommending this book, my friend.
Thank you for your truthfulness and your steno moral character. Love and blessings are sent to you!

Anne Payne said...

Bravo!!! I am so proud of you for writing this review. I have only read one of Beth's Amish Fiction books (and it was good), but now I don't have to worry about missing out on her contemporary fiction :)

Sola Scriptura said...

I looked at the cover of this book and thought it would be a good read, I'm so glad I read your review! It proves that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Thank you for honouring God in everything you post. Hugs to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...