Friday, January 09, 2015

Like A Flower In Bloom - Book Review

He stole the work she loved.
Will she let him steal her heart as well?

It's all her uncle's fault.
For years Charlotte Withersby has been free to pursue her love 
of plants and flowers by assisting her botanist father.
But now that she's reached the old age of twenty-two,
an intrusive uncle has convinced her father that Charlotte's future-
the only proper future for a woman - is to be a wife and mother, not a scholar.

Her father is so dependent on her assistance 
that Charlotte believes he'll soon change his mind. . .
and then Edward Trimble shows up.
A long-time botany correspondent in the South Pacific,
Trimble arrives ready to step in as assistant so that Charlotte can step out 
into proper society - a world that baffles her with its unwritten rules, 
inexplicable expectations, and confounding fashion.

Things aren't perfectly smooth between Trimble and her father,
so Charlotte hatches a plan.
She'll pretend such an interest in marriage that the thought of losing her
will make her father welcome her back.
Only things go quickly awry, 
and she realizes that the one man who recognizes her intelligence
is also the person she's most angry with: 
Edward Trimble, her supposed rival.
Suddenly juggling more suitors than she knows what to do with,
Charlotte is caught in a trap of her own making.
Will she have no choice but to leave her beloved flowers behind?


My Thoughts
The story is set in England during the 1850's 
and the characters Siri Mitchell brings together are simply charming.

Charlotte has spent most of her teen and young adult years helping her botanist father.
The responsibility was once her mother's, but after she passed away
the tasks were placed on Charlotte's shoulders.
She embraces the botanical world and thrives while working alongside her father.
So when her uncle suggests to Charlotte's father that it's time for her to marry
the suggestion is not exactly welcomed with open arms. . .
Charlotte does not see the need to marry or find a man,
but her father is shocked when he realizes his daughter is twenty-two-years old
with no husband prospects in sight.
Feeling somewhat cornered by the only men in her life, her father and uncle,
Charlotte decides to jump into society to appease them for a short time.
Only things do not go according to her plan. . .

Charlotte is a unique character - one that is fun and delightful,
but also annoying and disagreeable at times.
You're probably wondering how anyone can like a disagreeable character,
but for Charlotte her personality works in this book - it's what makes for a wonderful read.
She is not the "usual" female heroine that enters society {a place she has never been before}
with ease and perfection and she doesn't enter with the "typical" beauty and genteel manners.
Instead she knows nothing about fashion and simply doesn't have any desire for clothing
that is meant for appearance and not functionality.
She speaks her mind and doesn't understand why one is supposed to speak in riddles in public.
Siri Mitchell does a phenomenal job at showing how ladies were supposed to act in society
and the absurdity of many of the "prim-and-proper" ways of those days.

Edward Trimble is a gentle man with a kind heart.
He says he is only a sheep farmer from New Zealand,
but has quite the knowledge about society and how a lady should act in such circumstances.
He attempts to help Charlotte, but she can only see him as a threat. . .

And sweet Miss Templeton is a darling character!
She becomes friends with Charlotte at the first party and from then on
she is determined to help Charlotte with her scheme.

A lovely book written by Siri Mitchell.
You will laugh, you will get aggravated, you will cry, you will raise your eyebrows in question,
and you will enjoy the journey of Miss Charlotte Withersby.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Siri Mitchell has written nearly a dozen novels, 
three of which were named Christy Award finalists. 
A graduate of the University of Washington with a business degree, 
she has worked in many levels of government and lived on three continents. 
She and her family currently reside in the D.C. metro area.
 Learn more at www.sirimitchell.com.

23 comments:

Judy Goddard said...

Hello Stephanie.
I enjoy reading your reviews. It's nice having a blog that I can visit and see what's what. It will help me to choose, in the future, books that will particularly appeal to me. Thank you!
Thank you, also, for visiting my blog. I really am very new at this type of blog and appreciate all the encouragement I can get. I look forward to participating in the "Roses of Inspiration" God bless!

Mrs R said...

No, No, No! If he stole her work, then she'd best guard her heart. That rascal!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Looks like a fun summer read. Maybe I should pick up something lighter once in awhile. I seem to gravitate towards the tragic.

My Garden Diaries said...

Thank you for passing this one along Stephanie!!! It sounds like my kind of read as she worked with plants and is a unique character! And I like that it was set in the 1800's! I hope you have a lovely weekend friend!!! Nicole xoxo

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm having a hard time getting into this book. I will definitely have to keep trying however it just hasn't gripped me like other books have (at least yet).

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds interesting, I have a lot of books to get through but I will put it on my to read list. Have a lovely weekend.

Sola Scriptura said...

Thank you for sharing this book review, Stephanie. I enjoy reading books set here in the UK and the 1850s is a wonderful era to read about. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs to you.

Debbie Nolan said...

Stephanie - this sounds like a book I would enjoy because of my own love for flowers. I hope friend that you are having a wonderful day. Thank you so much for sharing your review and thoughts. Sending you many blessings for the coming week. Hugs

Mari said...

I so enjoy your review Stephanie. I read quite a bit of Christian fiction, and I have yet to come across this one :D mari

Kira Anastasia said...

Oh this sounds nice! I hope the denouement strikes a nice balance between the protagonist finding love and home and being able to maintain the love of her work.

Cranberry Morning said...

Anything set in England in the 1850s is worth a consideration, in my opinion. :-)

Anne Payne said...

I have every one of Siri's novels (except this one) and LOVED them all!!! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Like a Flower in Bloom! Thanks for another excellent review & recommendation :) Have a great weekend~ {{hugs}}

Debbie said...

you write these reviews with passion and excellence!!! I do believe you feel all those emotions as you read!! another great review!!!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Stephanie, Your book review is very good and this sounds like a book worth reading. I am new to this author. Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend.
XO

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Well, well, well - a sheepfarmer from New Zealand - no less!
Being a New Zealander too, this has become a MUST READ for me - it sounds like a very good plot!

Thank you for your great review dear Stephanie - I will track it down.

Wishing you a beautiful Sunday.

Shane xox

Linda Walker said...

Hi Stephanie!
Sounds like a very interesting book and one that I would enjoy. Great review my friend! Thanks!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Ida said...

I just got my copy to read. I'm not usually into "Period" type books but this does sound good. I'll let you know how I like it after I finish reading it.

kitty said...

It seems like you really enjoyed this latest book, Stephanie. I was happy to hear this positive review.
I hope you're keeping warm and cozy. I'm sending hugs across the miles.

Kelly-Anne @ Beautiful Girlhood said...

This sounds like a delightful book dear Stephanie! Thank you for sharing your thoughts ~it is always lovely to have a good review of a book... I think I will have to look into this one as I love stories set in this time... Blessings to you on your day! Hugs, Kelly-Anne

Abiola Olaleye said...

Sometimes I have an idea of the end from the beginning (as I also have this sneaky habit of checking the last few pages even while on the first page!). But then, all the happenings in-between keeps me turning the pages till I get to the very last page.

Your review makes it look like a great read.

Some ladies even today would prefer their jobs / work to the idea of marriage...because they feel marriage would inhibit them. Let their own gentle Edward come along...now

Have a super-blessed week ahead, dear Stephanie.

Irene said...

I've just discovered your blog and I love it (I'm your latest follower)

Thank you for the book review this will definately be my next read.

luv
irene
xxxx

Barbara Neubeck said...

... Hi Stephanie... this sounds like a good read... thanks for the review...
Have a lovely week... Hugs .... barb xx

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Stephanie,
Sounds very interesting!! I love books set in this Era....
Thanks so much for stopping by and yes, i will be joining your new linky party each week!!

Hugs,
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...