Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Beekeeper's Son - Book Review

Sometimes it takes a barren landscape
to see the beauty of God's creation.

Phineas King knows better than to expect anything but shock and pity
wherever he shows his face.
Horribly scarred from the tragic accident that claimed his mother's life,
he chooses to keep his distance from everyone,
focusing his time and energy on the bees his family raises.
If no one sees him, no one can judge him.
So why does he start finding excuses to seek out Deborah Lantz,
the beautiful new arrival in town?

Deborah can't get out of Bee County, Texas, soon enough.
Once her mother and younger siblings are settled,
she is on the first bus out of this dusty town.
She is only waiting on the letter from Aaron,
asking her to return to lush Tennessee to be his fraa.
But that letter never comes.
As she spends time getting to know Phineas - hoping to uncover the man beneath the scars-
she begins to realize that she no longer minds that Aaron hasn't sent for her.

As both Deborah and Phineas try to come to terms 
with lives that haven't turned out the way they imagined,
they discover that perhaps Gott's plans for them are more extraordinary
than they could have dreamed.
But they need to let go of their own past sorrows and disappointments
to find the joy and beauty that lies just ahead for them both.


My Thoughts
The Beekeeper's Son is a beautiful and inspiring journey you won't want to miss.
The precious picture of God's love and His desire to give us the best in life
is clearly presented in this book written by Kelly Irvin.

The author takes Phineas, a man that has been scarred and disfigured by a car wreck,
and transforms him into a man that shines with God's sweet holiness.
Phineas is someone I think many can relate with - myself included.
We may not have scars on the outside, but there are scars inside on the heart 
and often we think it's easier to hold back from something God has for us because of fear and hurt.
Phineas must walk the path God has laid out before him,
but his fear of rejection causes him to stumble and hold back.
Throughout the book he slowly lets his guard down and allows the Lord to guide him.
We can't see the future, but we can trust God - He loves us and wants only the best for His children -
Phineas simply needs to trust and as he learns He sees that God truly is full of blessings.

Deborah is hurting because of the move to another state and home.
She left behind her best friend and the man she thought was going to be her husband.
She often questions why God would first take her dad
and then take her away from the one place where she felt safe and comfortable.
She begins her own journey of learning to trust God with the plans and future for her life,
but sometimes it's not easy and the outcome isn't always what she wants. . .
Can God draw two hurting people together and create something precious and beautiful?

"Her daughters were not shallow.
They understood that physical beauty meant nothing.
Only the heart counted.
Phineas's heart and soul seemed damaged,
but there was no damage that couldn't be mended by God Himself."
{ The Beekeeper's Son - pg 69 }

The Beekeeper's Son is truly a beautiful story of love. . .
love from the Heavenly Father that can heal and mend the broken-hearted,
and love between a man and woman that can soften the hardest heart
and give hope to the hopeless.

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Kelly Irvin is the author of the Bliss Creek Amish series 
and the New Hope Amish series.
She has also penned two romantic suspense novels,
A Deadly Wilderness and No Child of Mine.
Kelly has been married to photographer Tim Irvin for twenty-six years.
They have two young adult children, two cats, and a tank full of fish.
In her spare time, she likes to write short stories and read books by her favorite authors.

17 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you for the review. This sounds like a wonderful book. I do enjoy reading Amish fiction and I like the message that they give.

Sola Scriptura said...

It sounds like this is a great series. Thanks for writing this book review :)

My cozy ✄ little space said...

if you like send me your email adress, to send you the request for my private blog
i rather have mijn blog for friends...blessings your welcome!

Janneke said...

It sounds like a wonderful book, thank you for the review. I'm interested in the world of the Amish and love reading books about them.

Simply Linda said...

I will add it to my growing list. Have a beautiful Saturday Stephanie. Blessings

kathyinozarks said...

I really appreciate your reviews-they are always so honest too-enjoy your weekend

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful review as always. This is a new author to me so I will definitely buy her book.

Ariadne said...

I saw a lady dressed like the girl in the cover at the MET when I was visiting there!What denomination is she?AriadnefromGreece!

Ali said...

Your book review is so interesting. I would have looked at this cover and just walked pass it. But you have really caught my interest. Thank you.
Ali xx

Anne Payne said...

First off, I LOVE your new blog layout! It's beautiful and simplistic.

I've had my eye on The Beekeeper's Son for a while now. Guess I will check the library for a copy. :)
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the other book. I have seen that in several books, too. Not my cup of tea. ;)

Have a great Sabbath! Love you, my friend.

Debbie Harris said...

That sounds like a terrific book, Stephanie.
I like the idea of these Two allowing God to heal and direct their wounded hearts and lives.
You always do such a beautiful job with your book reviews.
Love you!

Gina said...

The book sounds better than the last one! :-)

kitty said...

I always appreciate your honest book reviews, my friend. This sounds like a wonderful book and worth reading. I read your review of the last one, I know that you certainly don't recommend that book!
Have a great Sunday, sweet friend! xo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I bet this was a refreshing read, wasn't it my friend!

So many good books...so many great moments. Enjoy your next one! Anita

Alex said...

Oh yes, I like the sound of this. Thank you for your review!
I like Amish things a lot.

Alex said...

Oh yes, I like the sound of this. Thank you for your review!
I like Amish things a lot.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You always do such good book reviews and give me authors to add to my reading list! Enjoy your day my friend! You spread a lot of joy here in blogland....thank you! Hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...