Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Deadly Echoes - Book Review

After a youth filled with tragedy and upheaval,
Sarah Miller's life is finally settled with all echoes of the past silent at last.
She happily calls Sanctuary her home and spends her days teaching at the local school.

Sarah's joy at her recent reunion with her sister, Hannah,
and meeting the niece she didn't know she had is too soon interrupted
when Deputy Sheriff Paul Gleason informs Sarah her sister has been killed.

As she learns more about Hannah's death, 
the circumstances are eerily similar to their parents' murder.
Sarah enlists Paul's help in digging deeper into the murders
the police are dismissing as burglaries gone wrong.
Paul's concern encourages Sarah's growing feelings for him,
but as their investigation peels back the layers of lies almost twenty years old,
they get close to uncovering the truth one person will do anything to hide-
even if that means coming after the last remaining members of the Miller family.


My Thoughts
First of all, this is the second book in the Finding Sanctuary series.
This book does stand on its own, but there are a few spoilers about the first book
so if you want a complete surprise than I suggest reading Gathering Shadows first.

This book seemed to have everything going for it:
suspense, romance, and a great storyline,
but for me it fell a little flat.
I'm not saying Deadly Echoes was bad. . .it just wasn't great.
I felt the writing was somewhat repetitive at times
and the build up of suspense towards the end of the book was not a surprise
because I had already figured out who the "bad guy" was
and the main reason for "covering" his tracks.
Okay, those are the cons from my point of view
now let me finish with the pros.

If you have read any of my previous book reviews
than you know I always enjoy the spiritual aspect in Christian fiction material.
Nancy Mehl does an excellent job of bringing the Lord into her writing
and she writes in a gentle yet convicting manner
that makes the reader stop and think about Jesus Christ.
There were several parts in the book that I highlighted
because of the sweet message and wisdom the author shared
about comparing ourselves to others.
Throughout the book Sarah struggles with seeing at herself as God sees her-
beautiful and special.
She lives in her sister's shadow thinking she is nothing but plain and simple
whereas Hannah was strong and beautiful.

"You're so unique, Sarah.
God didn't want two Hannahs.
He created one Hannah and one Sarah.
He gave each one gifts and blessings.
He didn't make one sister better than the other.
He just made them different."
{ page 111 }

"Comparing ourselves to other people only brings unhappiness, Sarah.
We almost always come up lacking.
I think God hates it when we do that.
He made each one of us special and unique.
When we judge ourselves against someone else, 
isn't it saying that God didn't do a good job in creating us?
Isn't it degrading His handiwork?"

{ page 139 }

I am most appreciative of the biblical truths shared in Deadly Echoes
and would gladly give that part of the book 5 stars.
As for the suspense and romance aspect I found it lacking
and would give it only 3.5 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Nancy Mehl is the author of seventeen books including
the Road To Kingdom series and the Finding Sanctuary series.
She has a background in social work and writes from her home in Missouri
where she lives with her husband, Norman, and their puggle, Watson.

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Thanks for the honest review. I have had books that fall a little flat, too. They just kind of leave you wondering why you read the whole thing...lol....I like a book that really holds my interest. Most do.

Hope you have a good night- xo Diana

Debbie Harris said...

I appreciate your honest reviews, Stephanie.
Well done!
Blessings to you

Laura Lane said...

Thanks so much for giving your honest and in depth opinion about this book. We can't read everything, and reviews help us make decisions.


Thanks so much for visiting me and talking back at Harvest Lane Cottage.

Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Stephanie! I love reading your reviews; it's not easy sustaining a credible storyline, is it! I wonder if you've ever read THE WAITING? I think I mentioned it to you a while back.

Have a super day my friend! Anita

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love when you give us your honest opinion of the books that you've read, Stephanie. I love when a book really keeps me captivated and I especially love when I don't want the book to end.
Enjoy your day. Love you!

Melanie said...

Thank you for your review, Stephanie. There have been books that have won me over in some parts and others I could have gladly skipped over. I love a good mystery but it is nice to have a surprise culprit at the end.

Home Meadows said...

Thank you for sharing the book review. I haven't heard of this series before although mysteries are my favorite type of story to read. Have a great day, Heather

Sola Scriptura said...

I find it so enjoyable to read novels full of Biblical truths. Thanks for another great book review. Hugs to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...