Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Buried Secrets - Book Review

They both wanted quieter, safer lives.
But crime never sleeps. . .and killers keep killing.

After years as a Chicago homicide detective, 
Lisa Grant is ready for the kinder, gentler life of a small-town police chief.
But the discovery of a human skeleton by a construction crew 
at the edge of town taxes department resources.

Enter ex-Navy SEAL Mac McGregor, 
the detective sent by the county to assist on the case.
As they work to solve the mystery behind the unmarked grave,
danger begins to shadow them.
Someone doesn't want this dead person telling any tales-
and will stop at nothing to make certain a life-shattering secret stays buried.


My Thoughts
I am going to be upfront and honest and say that this book was not a winner in my eyes.
First of all, Irene Hannon is a talented author 
and other books that I have previously read by her are certainly award-winning,
but Buried Secrets. . . not so much.

The book begins with the story about the individual that was buried. . .
the individual that was going to ruin the future of several people
unless those involved could hide what had happened.
Over twenty years later the bones are uncovered and as the police get to work on the case
they realize this was no unmarked grave of someone "random."
Almost immediately they know they are dealing with a crime that went unsolved years ago.
There are those that will do anything to keep the bones a secret.
The police must NEVER find out who is in the grave and what happened. . .

Lisa the police chief and Mac the ex-Navy SEAL meet at the crime scene
and instantly they notice and sense a physical attraction towards one another.
The first several chapters talk about their attraction and physical appearance-
I must admit that it got to be a bit much.
Throughout the book it was all about how beautiful Lisa was and how handsome Mac was.
That is just fine and dandy, but when that is all that is said about the two characters
than it gets to be a bit much - know what I mean?
It was rather repetitive as were a few other topics
and that is one thing I despise in a book.

As far as the suspense goes. . .it was lacking.
There was no real mystery in this book, nothing that grabbed my attention,
nothing that left me with my mouth hanging open thinking,
"Wow, I totally didn't expect that!"
When it comes to mystery/suspense novels I like to be surprised
and in a sense, flabbergasted :)
Buried Secrets did none of those things.

Like I said, Irene Hannon is a fantastic author
and some of her other books have blown me away.
Unfortunately, Buried Secrets was not her best work - this is my own opinion!
I would give this book 3 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Irene Hannon is the bestselling author of more than forty-five romantic suspense
and contemporary romance/women's fiction novels,
including the Heroes of Quantico, Guardians of Justice, and Private Justice series.
Her books have garnered dozens of honors, including two coveted RITA Awards
from Romance Writers of America.
She is also a two-time Christy Award finalist.
Learn more at: www.irenehannon.com 

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

It is always kind of disappointing when you have read books by an author that are wonderful and then come across one that is just so-so. Thanks for the honest review. xo Diana

Dee said...

Thanks for your review, Stephanie. I'll probably avoid Buried Secrets now. Since you enjoyed the author's previous books, I'll definitely check out some of her other titles.

I hope you're enjoying your evening... :)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I always appreciate your honest reviews, Stephanie. That's another wonderful thing about you!

Vee said...

Thank you for your honesty. I think that it is a safe guess that if you didn't like the book, I would not either. I don't like shallow, one-dimensional characters.

Sola Scriptura said...

I appreciate your honest book reviews. I hope you're having a lovely week. Hugs to you!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Stephanie!

I am always welcoming my students to give their honest opinions about a book or movie we watch. If they say, "I don't like this" I always tell them, "Then tell us (in French) WHY - give details!"

It is important to think and to teach young people to think and especially, articulate why they find a piece of art unappealing. BRAVO for you that you are such an example for your son!

Now off to teach...have a super day my friend! Anita

Debbie said...

i don't read because of memory problems, but i know these reviews are very helpful for others!!!

Irene Hannon said...

Wow, Stephanie--sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much as my previous books. Most reviewers have given it high marks--but stories appeal to different people for different reasons. I do hope you'll come back for Lance's book, THIN ICE, out in January. Thank you for taking the time to read this one.

Anne Payne said...

Hey Stephanie, Like Irene said above (And I am highly impressed that she took the time to leave a comment!) not too many lower reviews but reviewing is such a subjective thing. We all view books differently. I have another friend that read it and gave it three stars, as well. I'm still putting it on my list of TBR's but I will get it from the library. I appreciate your honesty, my friend! Maybe the next one in the series will appeal to you more.

What I want to know is...Was it more from the male POV since the series is called Men of Valor?

M. E. Stephens said...

Stephanie, I'm not a big fan of romance novels, but after reading your review I wanted to thank you for your honesty here, and especially for mentioning the heavy emphasis on looks and physical attraction. This is something that is very bothersome to me. Outward appearances are so temporary, and as one blog-writer has mentioned, intensity has been mistaken for intimacy a lot in our culture and intensity does not lead to healthy relationships. Thanks again for being honest. Hope you have a good weekend. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...