Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Creole Princess - Book Review

Torn between loyalties to family and flag, one young woman is about to discover 
that her most important allegiance is to her heart.

It is 1776, and all along the eastern seaboard the American struggle for independence rages. 
But in the British-held southern port of Mobile, Alabama, 
the conflict brewing is much quieter--though no less deadly.

Lyse Lanier may be largely French in heritage, 
but she spends most of her time in the company of the ebullient daughter 
of the British commander of Mobile. 
When a charming young Spanish merchant docks in town, 
Lyse is immediately struck by his easy wit and flair for the dramatic. 
But is he truly who he makes himself out to be? 
Spies abound, and Spain has yet to choose a side in the American conflict. 
Is Lyse simply an easy mark for Rafael Gonzalez to exploit? 
Or are his overtures of love as genuine as Spanish gold?

With spectacular detail that brings the cultural gumbo of the Colonial Gulf Coast alive, 
Beth White invites you to step into a world of intrigue and espionage 
from a little-known slice of the American Revolutionary War.


My Thoughts

The Creole Princess is the second book in the Gulf Coast Chronicle Series.
I did not read the first book so I was worried I might struggle with the history 
that took place in the first book; thankfully it wasn't an issue.
The series has to do with the Lanier family and I read one review 
that said many generations have passed from the first to the second book.
Because I thoroughly enjoyed The Creole Princess I will definitely be reading the first one
and looking forward to the third book in the series.

There are many aspects of this story that I enjoyed,
but the best feature was the history and how well it was presented.
I applaud the author, Beth White, for doing such a wonderful and accurate job 
of portraying The Revolutionary War and the choices people had to make back then;
the detail was phenomenal!

The characters were quite captivating 
and through the talented writing of Beth White 
they came alive and endeared themselves to me.
Lyse Lanier is delightful, witty, and adventurous
and throughout the book she grows in her relationship with Christ.
Rafa Gonzalez instantly won my heart with his charm and unique character.
He is an intriguing man with many layers. . .

The Creole Princess is a book that is packed full with adventure.
Step into the world of The Revolutionary War
and experience the excitement of spies, mystery, danger, and even some sweet love.
I would give this book 4.5 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Beth White is the award-winning author of The Pelican Bride.
A native Mississippian, she teaches music at an inner-city high school
in historic Mobile, Alabama.
Her novels have won the American Christian Fiction Writers' Carol Award,
the RT Book Club Reviewers' Choice Award,
and the Inspirational Readers' Choice Award.
Learn more at www.bethwhite.net

7 comments:

MELODY JACOBS said...

you sound nice,
http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/2015/04/lady-in-red.html

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Stephanie, I've always enjoyed historical novels more than ones set in the present day.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I love this era of story-telling! And you get to read so many books to develop more and more opinions that study the style and devices of the writer. LUCKY YOU! I have been distracted a bit from my reading but must get on with it for I intend to write another poem soon and need inspiration!

Enjoy your day dearest Stephanie! Anita

Christine said...

Thanks Stephanie! I must look out for this series! Sounds just right for my tastes!

Scrappy quilter said...

Great review. This is one I will definitely read!

Natalie said...

I enjoy historical fiction especially faith based and this sounds like a really good read. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had more time to read for recreation! Blessings!

Beth White said...

Thanks for such a lovely review! Deeply appreciate it!
Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...