Friday, May 29, 2015

Maggie Bright - Book Review

ENGLAND, 1940.
Clare Childs knew life would change 
when she unexpectedly inherited the Maggie Bright-  a noble fifty-two-foot yacht.
In fact, she's counting on it.
But the boat harbors secrets.
When a stranger arrives, searching for documents hidden onboard,
Clare is pulled into a Scotland Yard investigation
that could shed light on Hitler's darkest schemes and prompt America to action.

Across the Channel, Hitlers Blitzkrieg has the entire British Army
in retreat with little hope for rescue at the shallow beaches of Dunkirk.
With time running out, Churchill recruits civilian watercraft to help.
Hitler is attacking from land, air, and sea,
and any boat that goes may not return.
Maggie Bright must answer the call - piloted by an American
who has refused to join the war effort until now
and a detective with a very personal motive for exposing the truth.

The fate of the war hinges on this rescue.
While two men join the desperate fight, a nation prays for a miracle.





My Thoughts
Compelling, riveting, and inspiring.
Many words could be used to describe the novel Maggie Bright,
but these three are the first that come to my mind after reading the book.
I must confess that I was not quite familiar with the history of Dunkirk
and the evacuation that took place there in 1940.
As I began to read the book I became more engrossed in the history that happened
so many years ago and the farther along I got in the book
the more captivating and emotional the journey got.

Clare Childs, a young woman with spunk, charisma, and integrity, 
is the main female character in the book.
She has inherited a beautiful yacht called the Maggie Bright
from a family friend and in some odd way she feels a connection with it.
She opens up the yacht as a bed and breakfast,
but dreams of the day she will take the lovely yacht out to sea.

Jamie Elliot is a soldier. . .a soldier headed straight for Dunkirk 
with a Captain that has been injured and has suffered brain damage.
The Captain has been placed in Jamie's care 
and has been ordered to get him to Dunkirk immediately.
Jamie's story remains on the battle field and along the way
you will "see" through the writing of Tracy Groot the heartache of war,
and the brokenness of the people who suffered through such ugliness and tragedy.

William Percy is a man on a mission and he is determined to expose the truth 
about the horrible acts taking place with and on children because of Hitler.
He meets Clare Childs and together they begin to form a plan. . .

The Maggie Bright is full of rich history that is not only thought-provoking,
but also quite tear-jerking.
There are moments of humor and irony mixed in 
with the inspirational and emotional writing of Tracy Groot.
I found this book to be very moving and a good reminder 
of what the men and women endured for their country and loved ones.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

10 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

The story of Dunkirk is a very emotional one and a total disaster for allied troops - well known history for British and colonial countries. Very heroic action by the small boats that crossed the channel to bring the men off the beaches and back to England. I can understand how you became engrossed in this story and think it would be a good one for me to look out for.
I am praying for you as you grieve the loss of your loved grandfather.

Diana

Elizabethd said...

That sounds very interesting, a mixture of history and fiction. Thank you for recommending it, Stephanie.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh..now this sounds ADVENTUROUS! YES! And your review makes it a must-read. Stephanie dear, thank you for your friendship. Enjoy the weekend and I'll be back in email. LOVE! Anita

Scrappy quilter said...

Great review. I will have to see if I can find this book. It sounds intriguing. I've never read this author and I've been looking for new authors so it's a good chance to find one. Thanks!

janice15 said...

Sounds like a very interesting life.. Haven't done much reading these days. I always say im going to but it never happens to much going on. Happy Weekend my dear..with love

Anne Payne said...

I love the cover on this book but your review...wow!!! Now that has cinched it for me. I definitely want to read Maggie Bright. You only get better and better at writing reviews, my friend. Have a blessed weekend~

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a really good read, Stephanie. I love it when I read something that bloggers recommend because we are usually on the same "page". xo Diana

Linda Walker said...

Hi Stephanie,
Wow, this sounds like a really good read! I am not familiar with the author but I do love novels that are based on historical events. I found myself getting caught up in your review! You do an amazing job reviewing these books. Now I want to read Maggie Bright too!
xo
Linda

Mildred said...

Good Morning, Thank you for sharing about this book. It truly sounds very interesting and I enjoyed reading Doodles and Daydreams comment too. Have a very nice day. xo

Robyn said...

I am really enjoying your book reviews, Stephanie. I used to read so much but find lately that when I can barely get myself into bed before I fall asleep, lol.
The memories of siege at Dunkirk is still very present in the minds of Canadians as we played an active role and lost many.
Your book sounds riveting. So glad you enjoyed it.
Hope you and your Mom are doing as well as can be, sweet lady.
Lots of love to you. xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...