Friday, June 05, 2015

Love's Rescue - Book Review

Can a girl enamored with the adventurous seas
ever be content with the tame life of a Southern belle?

When her mother dies, Elizabeth Benjamin heads home to Key West,
determined to transform herself into the perfect Southern belle
her parents always wished her to be.
But nothing goes according to plan.
Her brother resents her, the servants to not obey her,
and Rourke O'Malley, the dashing man she vowed to forget,
refuses to relinquish his hold on her heart.
Worst of all, it becomes painfully obvious 
that her father is not the man he appears to be.

As family secrets come to light, Elizabeth is faced with a difficult choice:
to perform her duty and abandon her dreams,
or to leave her life of privilege behind to chase the man her father sees 
as little better than a pirate.

From the first emotional page,
author Christine Johnson throws you into a world of impossible choices,
hidden desires, and heart-melting romance in the steamy South.



My Thoughts
Love's Rescue is the first book in the Keys of Promise series
and the author, Christine Johnson, 
did a wonderful job of starting the series off with excitement and drama.
From the very first page I was drawn into the lives of Elizabeth and Rourke. . .

The story begins in 1846 with sixteen-year-old Elizabeth making her way to the docks
so that she can find Rourke and profess her love to him, 
but there is a dreadful storm taking place and while making her way to the love of her life
something devastating happens that will forever change her world. 
Struggling with her secret Elizabeth takes off for Charleston to live with her aunt
and for four years her "mistake" haunts her.
When her mother passes away she knows she must return home
and face the consequences of what happened four years ago. . .

Rourke is an admirable character with godly traits and dashing good looks
that will instantly win the reader's heart.
He has kept silent about the night that changed Elizabeth's world
and ever since that horrendous night he has been falsely accused.
When Elizabeth returns home he knows his life is about to change. . .

I thought Love's Rescue was a delight to read
and it had a few surprises that I was not expecting.
Although it seemed like a "standard" fiction book 
I thought it was still captivating.
Love's Rescue is a book that is enjoyable to read - 
one that doesn't require a lot of contemplation
which is sometimes nice for a relaxing evening of reading.
I couldn't help but get caught up in the characters, the secrets, 
and the love between a man and a woman.
The author did an excellent job of portraying Key West
and as I read the book I felt like I was right there 
by the glistening water and warm sand. . .
I could almost hear the seagulls flying above in the sky 
and the fisherman at work on the docks.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Christine Johnson is the author of several books for Steeple Hill and Love Inspired
and has been twice named  finalist for Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart award.
When not writing, she loves to hike and explore God's majestic creation.
She and her husband, a Great Lakes ship pilot,
split their time between northern Michigan and the Florida Keys.

12 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Thank you for your review, sounds like one I might enjoy. Have a great weekend.

Christine said...

Thanks for reviewing, Stephanie. I have not come across this author before so I will now keep a look out for her novels.
Have a great weekend!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOod morning dear friend! The joy of reading never gets old. A new book, a new page, a new perspective. I can't wait to dig into something new this summer, in fact, a FEW new things, on top of my poetry and all....

Always so good to read your reviews. I hope everyone is well....peace and beauty to you! Anita

Sylvia said...

I don't normally read a lot of books, but I do enjoy a good story line one at times and this book sounds like one I must read. Thanks Stephanie,for posting this one, I will be going to the book store or library this week.

Robyn said...

This book sounds like a page turner, Stephanie. Your reviews are so well written and enticing. I would like this one for sure!

Scrappy quilter said...

Another great review. I am so happy to see a number of "new" to me authors being reviewed and getting such positive reviews. I am going to have to find this one. Love the cover. Funny that's what usually draws me into a book in the first place....a great cover.

Vee said...

You do such a good job reviewing that I am almost tempted to read a romance novel. =D

Melanie said...

This sounds like a very interesting book and one I'd be tempted to read. Thanks for the review, Stephanie.

Lady Linda said...

Nice review! Loved the previous post on the recipe. YUMMY. Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Hope you have a nice weekend.
Love,
Linda

Anne Payne said...

Lovely cover and review! I haven't read this author but must add her to my list based on your glowing review.

Have a blessed weekend, my friend!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

This sounds like a nice, easy read for Sumer. Sometimes we just need those kinds.
Hope you're having a great weekend! xxoo

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

Thank you Stephanie. I have added it to my CBD wish list. Have you had a chance to read Jen Turano's book yet? Hugs to you my friend. ~Heather Elizabeth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...